Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
World Re-nowned
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just in the United States forum and I mentioned I had never seen a cow in person until I moved to the South. I was surprised how many people created an outrage and said "how could you live in St. Louis and not have seen a cow in person?", well do you guys think there is a misconception about St. Louis's urbanism around the country. Almost if they think we live on farms or some shit like that.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I think most people know that St. Louis isn't just a bunch of farms, but like almost any city in the country, there are farms outside of the metro area.

I've seen cows not far outside of San Fransisco.

I'm sure there are cows near St. Louis. To say that you had never seen a cow until you moved to the south kind of implies that there aren't any cows near St. Louis. I'd imagine there are more cows near St. Louis than near Tampa, FL. Just because you hadn't seen one doesn't mean they aren't there, it means you didn't get out of the city much, if ever.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Re:

To say you've lived anywhere in the midwest and never seen a cow is pretty out there. Chicago was a meat processing mecca for years with all the slaughterhouses, and there are farms literally 15-20 miles outside of St. Louis. Heck, I remember driving down I-64 one time just east of St. Louis, and there were cows running down the side of the interstate that had escaped off a semi that had wrecked.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
the only time I have seen a cow, was when I moved from LaFayette to Indy.
I havent seen a cow, or any farm animals for over a decade, with the state fair as an exception.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Wow, I had no clue so many people have never driven down an interstate outside their urban areas!!

I haven't seen a cow IN Chicago - but I've seen them every single time I drive to Indiana or Wisconsin, Iowa, etc. Or even just outside the Chicago area there are farms everywhere in Illinois. I guess it just seems really bizzare someone in the midwest could ever say they're NEVER seen a cow before. I mean they're everywhere outside the main cities...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Funny I always thought of St. Louis as an urban place. I think when people think of other CITIES other than where they have lived, they tend to think of that place merely as a city and don't take into account surrounding areas. I doubt that most people would think of cows when thinking of Tampa, they probably think more about palm trees or beaches (although Tampa does not sit on the gulf itself). But if you go to the suburbs and less developed areas within the immediate area you will still see cattle fields, even just 10 miles from the city center.

·
Premium Member
Seattle
2,853 Posts
This thread cracks me up. It reminds me of when my college roomate was telling me about how he recently drove on a country road for the first time ever and was suprised at how they turn alot and have stop lights. Though truth be told, I never really saw a country road either until I moved out of milwaukee mid-highschool back in 98.

·
World Re-nowned
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funny I always thought of St. Louis as an urban place. I think when people think of other CITIES other than where they have lived, they tend to think of that place merely as a city and don't take into account surrounding areas. I doubt that most people would think of cows when thinking of Tampa, they probably think more about palm trees or beaches (although Tampa does not sit on the gulf itself). But if you go to the suburbs and less developed areas within the immediate area you will still see cattle fields, even just 10 miles from the city center.
Brandon, Riverview, all of that but Tampa is generally more spread on than St. Louis

·
6,476 Posts
It cracks me up too considering how much of this nations land is devoted to farmland, and this goes for just about every corner of this nation. In fact, there is so much farmland in the Midwest it's not even funny, much more than in the often mountainous South. This place ain't called America's Breadbasket for nothing.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Being from the country near Saint Louis, I have seen plenty of cows. I even worked on a farm as I grew up and my family still owns farm with cows. So, yes, there are farms around Saint Louis, and yes, they have cows.

But, I could understand a person in Saint Louis not seeing one. Saint Louis has a pretty big metro area, maybe not as big as Atlanta's, but if you live in like U-City, you can drive 45 min. in each direction and not see a real working farm. Also, on both sides of the river, but especially on the Illinois side much of the ground is used to produce grain (corn, beans & wheat) these days. I am sure I am the only one on this board that knows this, but during the last decade or so, the prices for livestock have been pretty bad. Also, in the past 5-7 years, the price of milk has really plummeted. Thus, many small farmers (who were likely to have livestock) have sold out to larger corporations (who usually only deal in grain). The major farmers and corporations that still do deal in livestock have huge operations, which they are not likely to locate immediately next to the Interstate. So, there are certainly less "cows" than there used to be in the Midwest - at least around Saint Louis, but the cows that still do exist are not likely to be by the Interstate. Are there exceptions, of course, and if you drive from city to city, you will certainly pass cows at some point, but at least I can understand it.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Bertha is the bitch that used to date my friend Ernie. Since then she just watches t.v. all day like the rest of the coach potatoes and munches on pork rinds. She lives in the heart of downtown Chicago and she's a real cow.

I'm not sure you guys know this, but Chicago does have some Bulls, a few of whom are even famous.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts