SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Located across South Grand Blvd. from Shaw, Compton Heights was first laid out in 1888 by Julius Pitzman and mostly developed between 1890 and 1920. The neighborhood is characterized by its large homes, curved streets and its canopy of trees. This is also home to the Compton Hill Water tower one of the three historic water towers in St. Louis. In my opinion it is one of St. Louis's best kept secrets.

Neighborhood website
Map it

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sweet pictures... I go to school about 5-10 blocks away from all that... SLU... I'll have to stop by once school starts again.

·
Registered
986 Posts
When they built St. Louis, they didn't cut corners. It has an endless supply of beautiful buildings. Wish there were more St. Louis pics.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Those were built by the Germans who weren't considered classy enough for the Portland and Westminster and Vandeventer Places....

I used to live on Accomac in early 1980s, and remember looking at some of those to buy---prices were about $65-85K----and some were pretty run-down, but overall the Longfellow and Hawthorne were still beautiful...

I wonder how much they go for nowadays---does anyone know?

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
That's the great thing about cities like Cleveland, St. Louis, and Detroit. What will buy you a shack in California can buy you a historic mansion or two in these cities.

·
Registered
258 Posts
this is one of the loveliest urban neighborhoods in the u.s. the developers of mcmansionvilles should be required to tour this neighborhood as penance for their sins.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts