Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 3426 Posts

·
10th February 2008
61,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a bit of digging after reading the posts by SB and GS. :)

Thanks for the heads up.

I would assume the model is just a massing model, with the final design/s still to be revealed.

And yes, the developers behind this are called the Red-Partnership.(link to their website below the renders)

Surprised no one has picked up on this yet...

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/download/meetings/id/17411/item_11_-_bootle_street_police_station

Large, mixed use development featuring an international 4/5* hotel operator. Prizes for the first one to work out who's behind the JRDC.

This will need it's own thread by the end of the year and it will almost certainly be one of the most exciting city centre projects of the last decade.
Think it's been discussed on here before - from memory that Gery Neville/Ryan Giggs fronted company - sorry the name escapes me were involved.
GREATER Manchester Police's Bootle Street base could be redeveloped by Gary Neville, Ryan Giggs and the former Modus boss Brendan Flood.

According to PropertyWeek.com the three have formed a joint venture and are trying to unlock a 1.8-acre site that includes the police station and the neighbouring Manchester Reform Synagogue in Jackson's Row.

Companies House documents show former Manchester United captain Neville, current player Giggs, and Brendan Flood are directors of Jacksons Row Developments which PropertyWeek says owns the synagogue. Modus, which collapsed during the recession, had an earlier plan to demolish the synagogue and redevelop it along with offices and flats.

GMP has been winding down operations at Bootle Street with many staff moving to the new headquarters building at Central Park in Newton Heath last year.

Property Week says the Greater Manchester Police Commissioner and the council are understood to be considering appointing a developer through European Union procurement rules, and have made no final decision. It suggests a mixed-use scheme could occupy the site of 12 to 14 storeys which would include a new synagogue and up to 400,000 sq ft of space.

Gary Neville is already active in the city centre having acquired the former stock exchange building in Norfolk Street earlier this year. Work is also underway at his 139-bed hotel project next to Manchester United's Old Trafford Ground. Last year Giggs and Neville set up GG Hospitality which will run a hotel and a football-themed cafe at the Westfield shopping centre in Stratford, east London.

http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/nort...nd-neville-plan-major-city-centre-scheme.html

http://red-partnerships.co.uk/?project=jacksons-row

·
10th February 2008
61,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You'd be happy to see the back of this would you jrb?

Don't see why they can't keep the front facade in some way at least.
Of course not! But just like No2 St Peter's Square, property developers don't give a shit(Fred Dune, Dandara, etc)

The again, I'll never see the Arndale demolished and rebuilt in full in my lifetime. And that is without doubt the biggest eyesore ever to be inflicted on Manchester city centre.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

·
Read Only
2 Posts
Well yeah, and no mention of the concept of redeveloping the building on that council document too is unnerving. But I think there's probably a better case to save this than century house. There's no way anyone can honestly argue that this doesn't add to the character of the conservation area -
Not to mention the importance of the building and what it signifies. I was surprised to learn it wasn't listed.

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
I'm getting more and more pissed off with the council's inability to recognise the vale of civic heritage as an asset to the city. If everything is new then Manchester looses that part of itself that makes it an interesting individual place. I don't think old is automatically good, nor that everything old needs preserving, but Bootle Street police station (and while we're at it the pubs of Manchester like the Abercrombie) are significant parts of the Mancunian streetscape. As is the Salisbury, the Cornerhouse and the Grand Central building. MCC seems to have become obsessed with its own development portfolio over its responsibility to steward the city for future generations.

Compromises can be made, but as a principle preserving heritage is not given enough weight in this city.

·
Consumed
7,448 Posts
The images posted by Jrb are nothing more than massing renders.

I agree it would be a shame if the Sir Ralph Abercrombie and the Police Station facade were to be lost but no decisions have been taken and no detailed plans have been put forward for public consultation yet - same as for the Oxford Road site.

·
John 3:16
5,371 Posts
United legend Gary Neville set to redevelop city centre police station

United star turned property guru Gary Neville is set to re-develop Manchester’s iconic Bootle Street police station, the M.E.N. can reveal.

Neville and former team-mate Ryan Giggs have formed a consortium to build offices, bars, restaurants and a four or five-star hotel around the historic building, off Deansgate, in partnership with the council.

Bootle Street itself is being bought up by the town hall for more than £2m as the final piece in the jigsaw – so that detailed plans for the multimillion pound regeneration of the area can be drawn up, including the re-development of the Manchester Reform Synagogue and vacant Sir Ralph Abercombie pub.

It is the latest in a series of major property ventures by former United defender Neville, who is currently building Hotel Football in partnership with Giggs at Old Trafford.

That is due to open later this year. But this could be his biggest project yet – a redevelopment said to be worth £140m.

His consortium, the Jacksons Row Development Company, has already bought – or is in the final stages of buying – the other various parts of the 300sq ft parcel of land between Albert Square and Deansgate, including the synagogue on Jackson’s Row.

It already has a major luxury hotel operator on board.

But the station was the one remaining element of the package and until now was in the hands of Greater Manchester Police.

The council has been in purchase negotiations with the police commissioner for months and has now agreed a deal, meaning the whole project can start.

The station had been the city’s policing HQ for 80 years when it closed earlier this month as part of plans to save money.

We revealed in 2010 how the building, once described by former chief constable Michael Todd as ‘far better suited as a set for Life on Mars’, was due to be axed.

Earlier this summer officers finally moved out and into the town hall, where they now have a 24-hour policing post.

Currently it is unclear which of the existing buildings on the Jackson’s Row site would remain – although Bootle Street’s facade may remain even if the main part of the station is demolished. Further details of the development are expected in the autumn.

A spokesman for the consortium said: “This is an exciting regeneration opportunity in a significant location which we believe will add to the vibrancy of Manchester city centre.”
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...r-news/united-legend-gary-neville-set-7692788

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
It's a question of priorities. The council doesn't take heritage seriously and so these decisions and plans are made long before anyone who does gets a chance to put their case. The building isn't particularly beautiful, but as a part of the conservation area it's very significant, and it's potentially historically interesting (how many interbellum city police HQs like it remain?) so I find a document that talks about redevelopment with no reference to heritage worrying.

·
Less is more.
6,230 Posts
Yeah shame if the station gets demolished, it's a tidy little building and I've always liked the look of it. However if the replacement is of a good standard and actually improves the area around there I won't mourn its loss for too long. It would be good if they could at least keep the façade though.

·
Banned
1,093 Posts
Does this mean 42s is going as well? :(

I have to say Bootle Street is dodgy Central at night - and with the steam ventilation rising up from the ground it looks like something from a New York mafia mock
42s is opposite, in the same building as Revolucion de Cuba, definitely not going, also the Abercrombiy is still very much open, the idiots at the MEN claim otherwise in that article.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Whilst it would be nice to keep the station - I hope it gets integrated into the design somehow - this development should have a huge net benefit for that area of the centre.

Can't really grumble too much. Manchester isn't York or Bruges - I love living here because of the vibrancy which the increasing rate of development brings. In this case, I tend to side with the council's decision to open up Manchester to more investment.

1 - 20 of 3426 Posts