·
Registered
24,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Architect reveals 50-storey vision of St Paul's Cathedral
15 May, 2008
By Dan Stewart
building.co.uk

Feix&Merlin reveals a novel solution to the issue of preserving views of Wren's masterpiece from various London locations

What with all the fuss about Boris Johnson and his feelings on tall buildings, it’s reassuring to see that architects haven’t lost their sense of perspective.

The Greater London Authority’s protection of St Paul’s Cathedral means that surrounding buildings and towers have to be designed so as to preserve the view from various points around London.

But Tarek Merlin, one half of Feix&Merlin and regular Building columnist, showed delegates at RIBA’s Futures Fair this novel solution to the problem – a reimagining of Wren’s cathedral as a fifty-storey tower.

It does make one wonder what all those extra floors could be used for – housing for the homeless, perhaps, or crypts for dead celebrities and personalities that can no longer fit in the cathedral itself?

More importantly, what do you think Boris Johnson would make of it?

·
T-Stays
991 Posts
If you think about it though, its a good idea, not to say they should do this to the cathedral but i mean, people are complaing about sightlines, so if the landmarks were skyscrapers like this, then you wouldnt have that problem, but, i doubt this will happen, not in London.

·
Administrator
34,870 Posts
It does make one wonder what all those extra floors could be used for – housing for the homeless, perhaps, or crypts for dead celebrities and personalities that can no longer fit in the cathedral itself?
for an architecture writer he isnt very clued up. there arent floors in the dome of st pauls, its called a lantern dome! it lets in light from the top to illuminate the inside of the dome. its whole purpose for existing is to be a hollow unoccupied space.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
for an architecture writer he isnt very clued up. there arent floors in the dome of st pauls, its called a lantern dome! it lets in light from the top to illuminate the inside of the dome. its whole purpose for existing is to be a hollow unoccupied space.
I think it's all part of the satire...

·
Mancunian Member
7,180 Posts
Can they not steal Ben Nevis from the Scots and stick St. Pauls on top?

·
Taikun
10,129 Posts
Feix&Merlin
this just reminds me of the tellytubby tower which was more to get publicity by being 1.5 kilometres tall than by even being a vision. may as well have a vision of saint paul's teleported to the moon then more people on earth can see it at any given moment. failing that, stick rocket packs on it and turn it into the first orbiting cathedral.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts