Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
MOSCOW (UrduPoint News / Sputnik - 25th May, 2021) Russian gas giant Gazprom said on Tuesday it had proposed to build the Lakhta Center 2 in St. Petersburg, which will become the world's second tallest skyscraper.

The new urban planning initiative was presented at a meeting of the interdepartmental council for the implementation of the cooperation agreement between St. Petersburg and Gazprom.

"In order to further develop the public and business district, which is being successfully created around Lakhta Center on the coast of the Gulf of Finland, it was proposed to build a new skyscraper, Lakhta Center 2. Its height will be 703 meters [2,306 feet]. The skyscraper will be the second tallest in the world and an absolute record holder by the height of the observation deck (590 meters) and the upper exploited floor," the company says.

That does not seem to be the official Gazprom Youtube channel though.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
As far as I can tell, Lakhta Center 1 is an office tower primarily occupied by Gazprom. What is the business case for a second one? Is it just an observation tower? If so, they're dependent on recouping the construction and operation costs through ticket sales alone, which usually isn't very lucrative compared to the enormous upfront investment costs. There's a reason why so few of the towers out there serve only as observation towers. Usually they are built for telecom-related reasons, and then have an observation platform added to provide some extra revenue.

An observation tower on an island is an ... interesting idea. Doesn't that mean that all prospective visitors will have to get onto the island before considering a trip to the tower, greatly reducing the visitor potential? Alternately, the trip up the tower could be sold as a package deal alongside the ferry ticket, but that also raises the threshold for visitors significantly. If you have to factor in a ferry trip + return trip, you're committing a lot more time to the tourist attraction than you would otherwise, and that makes you more likely to do something else instead. Most observation towers (and Ferris wheels, which also compare) are located in high-traffic areas that already see a lot of visitors, not islands with limited modes of access.

·
GeNtLe UsEr
3,324 Posts
As far as I can tell, Lakhta Center 1 is an office tower primarily occupied by Gazprom. What is the business case for a second one? Is it just an observation tower? If so, they're dependent on recouping the construction and operation costs through ticket sales alone, which usually isn't very lucrative compared to the enormous upfront investment costs. There's a reason why so few of the towers out there serve only as observation towers. Usually they are built for telecom-related reasons, and then have an observation platform added to provide some extra revenue.

An observation tower on an island is an ... interesting idea. Doesn't that mean that all prospective visitors will have to get onto the island before considering a trip to the tower, greatly reducing the visitor potential? Alternately, the trip up the tower could be sold as a package deal alongside the ferry ticket, but that also raises the threshold for visitors significantly. If you have to factor in a ferry trip + return trip, you're committing a lot more time to the tourist attraction than you would otherwise, and that makes you more likely to do something else instead. Most observation towers (and Ferris wheels, which also compare) are located in high-traffic areas that already see a lot of visitors, not islands with limited modes of access.
The tower is supposed to be habitable all the way from top to bottom. According to the interview with the architect, it will have 8 16-storey cases mounted one on one.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it is just built as a propaganda building to show what Russia can achieve, I am okay with that. Remember how much money Russia spent on the Olympics. They were the most expensive winter Olympics ever. Russia wanted to impress the world. This tower might cost 10% or maybe 15% of the price of the Olympics and it will overtake any building in the US and any building in China by height. So even if the building does not generate enough money to cover its costs, it might still be worth it.

I wonder though how the elevators will work. From the rendering it seems that they can't go straight up.

·
Registered
904 Posts
If it is just built as a propaganda building to show what Russia can achieve, I am okay with that. Remember how much money Russia spent on the Olympics. They were the most expensive winter Olympics ever. Russia wanted to impress the world. This tower might cost 10% or maybe 15% of the price of the Olympics and it will overtake any building in the US and any building in China by height. So even if the building does not generate enough money to cover its costs, it might still be worth it.

I wonder though how the elevators will work. From the rendering it seems that they can't go straight up.
The whole of St. Petersburg was a propaganda city from the start to show what Russia can achieve

And it was a good investment, I live here now.

Hope the tower will be built 🍻 :giggle:
Of course even if it is built on an artificial island, there will be a walkway or bridge connecting to it. But I think it more likely that it will be built at the edge.

·
Registered
972 Posts
The whole of St. Petersburg was a propaganda city from the start to show what Russia can achieve

And it was a good investment, I live here now.

Hope the tower will be built 🍻 :giggle:
Of course even if it is built on an artificial island, there will be a walkway or bridge connecting to it. But I think it more likely that it will be built at the edge.
Is it possible to make those spirals as tracks for a rollercoaster kind of ride? I can imagine the thrill of free-falling from 700 metres above..

1 - 20 of 137 Posts