Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Shame, would have been a pretty good stadium if the roof weren't too low...And it was built in TAMPA, but it wasn't, so it ain't.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Is this stadium still capable of hosting ice events? I cannot think of any other MLB venue that was once the regular home of an NHL franchise, in Florida no less. Looking at this place now, it's hard to imagine how many ballclubs used it and the Tampa/St. Pete area as leverage in getting new ballparks built. White Sox, Mariners, Giants just to name a few.

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
I don't like the stadium either. I love the team and I'll be a diehard fan of the Rays if I leave this area in the future or not, but the stadium really doesn't do the team or the city any favors. Unfortunatelt, no one is willing to step up and pony up any money out of pocket and neither Pinellas or Hillsborough (Tampa) are really interested in talking about taxes for paying for a new stadum.

·
I double dog dare you!!!
707 Posts
Ugly inside and out. For as new as it is why didnt get give it a retractable roof or no roof at all? 1.5 out of 5

·
Registered
468 Posts
Home of the 1999 NCAA Men's Final Four. The only baseball-specific stadium to do so.

It's one of the few (if not only) venues in the world to had hosted a baseball, football, basketball and hockey game.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
As far as I know, it IS the only one.

The only other candidate I can think of would be the Superior Dome, and i'm not sure hockey has ever been played there. (edit: field hockey has!....I know what you meant though)

Potentially, BC Place, Skydome and Stade Olympique could join that list, I guess. And the Metrodome, not sure of any others since the Kingdome is a pile of dust now. Superdome? Astrodome hypothetically, but honestly, no. The hangup is baseball and hockey for most, since so many domes are rectangular now baseball can't be played in them, and the old ones aren't fitted with the system for hockey.

This is a terrible football venue.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
This is easily one of the 3 or 4 worst MLB stadiums. It's ugly and feels cold. Not too mention the atmosphere is terrible and the Rays draw crap which is sad considering they have had good seasons the last few years.

·
Captian Clutch
372 Posts
This is easily one of the 3 or 4 worst MLB stadiums. It's ugly and feels cold. Not too mention the atmosphere is terrible and the Rays draw crap which is sad considering they have had good seasons the last few years.
I'd say 2 worst...only other one that even comes close is Oakland. Toronto is modern enough that it still works despite being multipurpose, and none of the other stadiums are that bad at all. Maybe U.S. Cellular, but the improvements over the last few years have done wonders to that place.

The Rays need a new stadium and fast. If they get bad again, attendance will probably drop to the point that they may be looking to Portland, Las Vegas, Vancouver or North Jersey to relocate too.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I'd say 2 worst...only other one that even comes close is Oakland. Toronto is modern enough that it still works despite being multipurpose, and none of the other stadiums are that bad at all. Maybe U.S. Cellular, but the improvements over the last few years have done wonders to that place.

The Rays need a new stadium and fast. If they get bad again, attendance will probably drop to the point that they may be looking to Portland, Las Vegas, Vancouver or North Jersey to relocate too.
Who will pay for the new stadium?

1 - 20 of 198 Posts