SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17,037 Posts
As I understand it, this thread relates to stadiums that would be good fits for NFL games. If you didn't mention a stadium in your post and bad-mouthed football for no reason except that you felt like doing so, chances are you are a troll.

·
3,448 Posts
If I were a betting man, I'd imagine the next three places NFL is targeting are Brazil, Germany, and Australia.
I agree with this list. These countries seem like the most obvious candidates for the NFL to go hard into with regards to marketing. I'd also add Austria as an extension to Germany and perhaps the Nordic countries, and can't forget Mexico! (Mexico already has a pretty sizable NFL following but it's important to cultivate that.)

Also with regards to China, I know it's a PR disaster waiting to happen but I'm sorry there's WAY too much money there to leave the country alone. ANY sports league with eyes on becoming/expanding their worldwide following, from FIFA and the IOC to the North American Leagues to Cricket, will look to aggressively expand into China no matter what.

·
Registered
17,037 Posts
I agree with this list. These countries seem like the most obvious candidates for the NFL to go hard into with regards to marketing. I'd also add Austria as an extension to Germany and perhaps the Nordic countries, and can't forget Mexico! (Mexico already has a pretty sizable NFL following but it's important to cultivate that.)

Also with regards to China, I know it's a PR disaster waiting to happen but I'm sorry there's WAY too much money there to leave the country alone. ANY sports league with eyes on becoming/expanding their worldwide following, from FIFA and the IOC to the North American Leagues to Cricket, will look to aggressively expand into China no matter what.
Yes; agree entirely. You stub your toes 3 times in China then make yourself a billionaire.

Some posters don't seem to have grasp of how much demand for football exists out there. You can't go to a sports/finance seminar without hearing about some Asian, Arab, NY, Latin, etc., consortium putting together a bid to obtain franchises somewhere. The NFL's problem is NOT to create demand, it's to decide how best to exploit it.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
If I were a betting man, I'd imagine the next three places NFL is targeting are Brazil, Germany, and Australia. Maracana Stadium and Allianz Arena look pretty turn key for NFL without any tarps. ANZ Stadium would work fine.

The NBA got itself in quite the PR disaster with its love of China, so I don't think the NFL will go down that road.
I doubt Australia, our market is just too small to be attractive. The NFL goes to London because its a hub of Europe as a whole, not just support from the English. Germany would have more support for the actually sport than the UK.
The NFL had an exhibition game in Sydney back in 1999, supposedly got over 70 000 in attendance yet have never hinted at coming back. Rugby Union and Rugby League have a hard enough time attracting respectable domestic league attendances, for the Australian public to embrace another similar code.

The NBA has said they can't see themselves bringing a game to Australia even with the popularity of Basketball in Australia because of small market and distance, Japan and China (probably The Philippines) will always win out in the western pacific.

·
Registered
17,037 Posts
I doubt Australia, our market is just too small to be attractive. The NFL goes to London because its a hub of Europe as a whole, not just support from the English. Germany would have more support for the actually sport than the UK.
The NFL had an exhibition game in Sydney back in 1999, supposedly got over 70 000 in attendance yet have never hinted at coming back. Rugby Union and Rugby League have a hard enough time attracting respectable domestic league attendances, for the Australian public to embrace another similar code.

The NBA has said they can't see themselves bringing a game to Australia even with the popularity of Basketball in Australia because of small market and distance, Japan and China (probably The Philippines) will always win out in the western pacific.
Sounds 100 percent correct. China for the numbers and booming economy; the UK for it's access to Europe and cultural influence in India, the Middle East and Africa. In this game even South America is too small to be a primary target.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts