SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Arch(Struct) Engineer
Toasted Ravioli
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as to all the stadiums that have removed the athletic track to get the stands closer to the field and was the field lowered.

The ones I know of are University of Texas' DKR and Ohio State's Horseshoe.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The Rose Bowl, once a horseshoe with a track?

ANZ stadium, formerly Stadium Australia has a rebuilt ground tier and as such can not longer fit a track without removing seating at the ends. only moved in about 10m each end to make a total length of 168m, enough for Australian Football but still an irritating distance for Rugby and Rugby League which are Sydney's prefered sports and as a result the stadium is very unpopular. I fail to see why they can't (say for a successful worldcup bid) rebuild the ends into movable segments like the wings, to better serve the Rugby codes and Soccer.

Besiktas Inönü Stadi in Istanbul

·
Unregistered User
2,587 Posts
The Rose Bowl, once a horseshoe with a track?

ANZ stadium, formerly Stadium Australia has a rebuilt ground tier and as such can not longer fit a track without removing seating at the ends. only moved in about 10m each end to make a total length of 168m, enough for Australian Football but still an irritating distance for Rugby and Rugby League with are Sydney's prefered sports and as a result the stadium is very unpopular. I fail to see why they can't (say for a successful worldcup bid) rebuild the ends into movable segments like the wings, to better serve the Rugby codes and Soccer.

Besiktas Inönü Stadi in Istanbul
Thats not the Rose Bowl. Its the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. The first picture is from the olympics, which is why there's a track.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Obvious one not mentioned: Turner Field, Atlanta

1996 Olympics:

Now:

·
Registered
676 Posts
I' not gonna go collect ans post all the pictures here now, because I'm in a hurry, but in Germany there are several interesting examples.

The Weserstadion in Bremen and the Merzedes Benz Arena in Stuttgart are currently just being modernized and having their tracks removed. The Bruchwegstadion in Mainz is a stadium where they placed temporary stands inside the old stadium which had tracks and they're allready using those for several years now until the new stadium will be finished. And the Zentralstadion in Leipzig used for the WC 2006 is basically a completely new stadium built inside the old stadium.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
In Germany there's indeed a vast number of former athletics stadiums that have removed the track. As Alemanniafan already mentioned, different concepts were followed to get the stands closer to the field. While in Bremen the field has been lowered during the first modernization, other stadiums had one or more stands demolished and rebuilt.

In Hannover, for example, three of the four original stands were replaced to get them closer to the field. However, the oval layout of the stadium has been retained, leading to an asymmetric outline as the new stands are steeper then the remaining one:

Before

After

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
Old Soldier Field

I would love to see that set-up again. The horseshoe looking out to thee the Field Museum, city, and lake would be a great site to behold while inside the stadium.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Thats not the original picture that he posted.
Actually I hadn't posted a picture by the time you replied. I put the pic in to illustrate I was not reffering to the LA Coliseum from the above post.

·
Unregistered User
2,587 Posts
Actually I hadn't posted a picture by the time you replied. I put the pic in to illustrate I was not reffering to the LA Coliseum from the above post.
sorry i got it mixed up. I believed you were referring to ryebread's pic of the LA Coliseum.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts