SkyscraperCity banner

10921 - 10940 of 11005 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Well china will drain africa of any resources for as long as the international community continues to turn a blind eye. Just look at some of the shady deals being made in DRC, Burundi, Southern africa: regarding mining, manufacturing, and trade deals
Well meanwhile in reality land it's a french multinational owning almost half the container terminals in Africa, 90% of the mining and oil extration is controlled by western conglomerates and it's Eurobonds from western financial markets that has led countries like Zambia to default - no country ever had to give up sovereignty because it couldn't serve a chinese loan. The entire SAP from the US's IMF were aimed at giving up sovereignty to get US cash in exchange. The audacity by the western commentariat (and it's local affiliates) of accusing China of debt trap diplomacy whitout the a shred of real world evidence while the West since 50 years practices debt trap diplomacy without anyone crying foul - where was the outcry when Rwanda was kicked out of Agoa for not importing US garbage clothes? Where's the outcry when the US trade representative wants to restrict Kenyan imports but demands Kenya to not do the same for US imports?

·
Registered
175 Posts
?? Their is no envy of china; If anything it is the opposite. You do not see westerners copying Chinese business methods, stealing IP/copyright and hiring Chinese actors for business executive roles to seem more professional. Additionally you don't see millions of westerners apply for Chinese schools, jobs and communities. America sees china as a adversary and less as a competitor. They don't invest in africa because up until a few years ago it wasn't profitable, however, they still donated 30-40 billion dollars worth of food and aid for african countries. What you should point your tears too is europe and their jealousy of china moving into their territories. Africa is still way too young for American companies to attempt to rape(take advantage) of its middle class. Regarding investment while American banks and institutions aren't free of corruption we certainly won't load you up on bad debt, they're multiple provisions the U.S government gives to companies and banks investing abroad to combat this. But china? Well china will drain africa of any resources for as long as the international community continues to turn a blind eye. Just look at some of the shady deals being made in DRC, Burundi, Southern africa: regarding mining, manufacturing, and trade deals. Even now china floods Kenya with millions of counterfeit goods, fish, clothes, and etc harming Kenya's industrial progress. Anyways, I'm not saying America is free of any blame because they aren't but I'd rather choose the devil with transparent courts and institutions.
Wow a TZ diasporan... lecturing us on Western Economics... The irony...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Name one country the U.S swamped with debt and forced it to sell a part of its port or major assets in the past 15 years?

I can name 5 china has done in the past 5 years.
To the extent that you introduced a talking point dissimilar to my Post.
In your own words, that the US hasn't swamped any Country with debt speaks VOLUME. I could rest my case their. But may invite you to read John Perkins. The economic hit man. He's from New Hampshire I believe.
Now kindly give the five countries China has done in, AND HOW they were done in.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Well meanwhile in reality land it's a french multinational owning almost half the container terminals in Africa, 90% of the mining and oil extration is controlled by western conglomerates and it's Eurobonds from western financial markets that has led countries like Zambia to default - no country ever had to give up sovereignty because it couldn't serve a chinese loan. The entire SAP from the US's IMF were aimed at giving up sovereignty to get US cash in exchange. The audacity by the western commentariat (and it's local affiliates) of accusing China of debt trap diplomacy whitout the a shred of real world evidence while the West since 50 years practices debt trap diplomacy without anyone crying foul - where was the outcry when Rwanda was kicked out of Agoa for not importing US garbage clothes? Where's the outcry when the US trade representative wants to restrict Kenyan imports but demands Kenya to not do the same for US imports?
I don't speak nor will ever defend Europe; Europe is its own level of *****ed up: But china is europe 2.0; Argue with me all you want you'll see the result of china's "generosity" in 20 years. They tried to trap Tanzania with the same method of piling nearly 20 billion USD in debt for bagamoyo port, while also lattempting to lease the port for nearly 99 years.

Name me one country USA has developed infrastructure for without any conditions?
China? The U.S flooded china with nearly a trillion dollars of investment from 1980s-2000s, same thing is going on with India, Bangladesh, Vietnam, and etc.. right now. Are any of these countries in massive debt situations?

·
Registered
488 Posts
You continue to insult me with poor sources, claims, and reasonings. But If you truly believe I'm acting in bad faith I'll stop posting on here and let my opinions speak for themselves in due time. Let's see if China truly is acting in good faith.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don't speak nor will ever defend Europe; Europe is its own level of *****ed up: But china is europe 2.0; Argue with me all you want you'll see the result of china's "generosity" in 20 years. They tried to trap Tanzania with the same method of piling nearly 20 billion USD in debt for bagamoyo port, while also lattempting to lease the port for nearly 99 years.
No use talking about a non starter project. Bagamoyo had been Dead on arrival.
Now bring on the other FOUR countries that China has done in.

·
Registered
285 Posts
China? The U.S flooded china with nearly a trillion dollars of investment from 1980s-2000s, same thing is going on with India, Bangladesh, Vietnam, and etc.. right now. Are any of these countries in massive debt situations?
The question was INFRASTRUCTURE. Kindly name any INFRASTRUCTURE in these half dozen you've spewed out.
From the word GO you've EXCELLED at ducking point of discuss by introducing generalized TALKING POINTS

·
Registered
316 Posts
The irony of the discussions here is that China at one point held the largest share of US debt. Now they are second to Japan. Which is a big issue in the States as this debt could be utilized as a weapon.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The irony of the discussions here is that China at one point held the largest share of US debt. Now they are second to Japan. Which is a big issue in the States as this debt could be utilized as a weapon.
When someone arrives at a discussion informed of INFORMATION not DATA (Mind you) from information platforms of LIARS, CHEATS AND THIEVES, SINOPHOBIA manifests itself.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Also to contextualize, and I think this is what most miss is that Japan has been having negative interest rates for some time thus one of the places they can deploy that capital is in US paper. Anyway back to railways.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
one belt and one road projects are the ways China is diversfying their investments. That's why the USA is bad mouth about Chinese projects oversea because China buys less their printed green paper.

·
Registered
184 Posts
At least China is honest enough to write their demands on paper, others have been using threats and militias to control strategic African assets for more than 400 years while impoverishing the locals. One thing you're clearly ignoring is the modern imperialist strategies being used by the West. Unlike China, their governments don't invest directly, they use proxies.

·
Registered
285 Posts
At least China is honest enough to write their demands on paper, others have been using threats and militias to control strategic African assets for more than 400 years while impoverishing the locals. One thing you're clearly ignoring is the modern imperialist strategies being used by the West. Unlike China, their governments don't invest directly, they use proxies.
As seen recently, companies like Fpizer are demanding sovereign guarantees to supply vaccines to South American countries.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Their construction style is different from ours, Our contractors basically built rail lines on the SGR and used those lines to supply ballast, sleepers, T-Beams to build the next section unlike in TZ where they use trucks and the MGR to supply material to location, therefore the site around the new rail line is still being used frequently by trucks and other construction activities, which is probably why they plan to build the fence after all other construction activities are done.

Here are some excerpts from the TZ-SGR ESIA report.

View attachment 1218622

It appears one of the main factors they wont be fencing all the way is because of wildlife migratory routes , In Kenya's case, we decided lo build bridge/viaducts in all wildlife migration routes

View attachment 1218632

Anyway, In summary, about 51km (Out of the 205KM) of their phase 1 will be fenced - this includes the first 20km from Daresalaam and anywhere with high density population and around stations . If their phase 2 section (which is longer) will be fenced entirely but phase 1 only 51km, it probably means it wasn't a money issue, but for what ever reason, I hope it was a good one cause lions, hyenas, buffaloes, cheaters etc have been hit on the Kenyan line despite the fence and the elevated embarkment, this happened after an angry elephant brought down parts of the fence and it wasn't fixed for almost a month, we were lucky that the elephants couldn't climb up the embankment!

View attachment 1218647

Now, about the overpasses and the underpasses being far an wide, we don't know about that for sure And we won't know the effects until the rail starts operation, lets not start pondering our neighbors before we see some action first, theirs isn't the only high-speed(relatively speaking) line in Africa with no fence.
Fencing only 25% of the Dar Morogoro section is just a joke. So that means 75% is unfenced and yet this railway doesn't have alot of elevated embankment? What do you expect will happen to the people and animals who try to cross the train path? With trains moving at 160 km/h nobody even has a chance to react before you get run over by a speedy train.
And when I said the cattle crossings are few and far between I meant it because I have been watching their construction videos for a long time.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Train Driver Promotion Exam

▲ Theoretical exam was held on 10 March 2021, locomotive inspection exam was held on 15 March, driving practical exam started on 15 March and is ongoing.

Before this exam, the SGR has trained up the following local train drivers:
38 junior assistant drivers
82 intermediate assistant drivers
27 senior assistant drivers
28 junior main drivers.

source

10921 - 10940 of 11005 Posts