SkyscraperCity banner

10941 - 10960 of 11006 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
?? Their is no envy of china; If anything it is the opposite. You do not see westerners copying Chinese business methods, stealing IP/copyright and hiring Chinese actors for business executive roles to seem more professional. Additionally you don't see millions of westerners apply for Chinese schools, jobs and communities. America sees china as a adversary and less as a competitor. They don't invest in africa because up until a few years ago it wasn't profitable, however, they still donated 30-40 billion dollars worth of food and aid for african countries. What you should point your tears too is europe and their jealousy of china moving into their territories. Africa is still way too young for American companies to attempt to rape(take advantage) of its middle class. Regarding investment while American banks and institutions aren't free of corruption we certainly won't load you up on bad debt, they're multiple provisions the U.S government gives to companies and banks investing abroad to combat this. But china? Well china will drain africa of any resources for as long as the international community continues to turn a blind eye. Just look at some of the shady deals being made in DRC, Burundi, Southern africa: regarding mining, manufacturing, and trade deals. Even now china floods Kenya with millions of counterfeit goods, fish, clothes, and etc harming Kenya's industrial progress. Anyways, I'm not saying America is free of any blame because they aren't but I'd rather choose the devil with transparent courts and institutions.
The west can go to hell. It is CHINA that has been building roads, railways, bridges, hospitals, airports, ports and factories in Africa for the last 20 years, The west has done nothing so I don't want to hear this silly song of "China is stealing" while the west has been stealing for 60 years or more without helping us. You said American companies don't steal? In Nigeria there are several American companies mining oil and paying very little tax there and destroying the environment. Most of American companies' FDI into Africa mostly goes towards the mining sector. Go look into American FDI data into Africa before you come here saying that America does not exploit Africa. China is a million times better than the west. They have their problems but atleast they are helping us.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Name one country the U.S swamped with debt and forced it to sell a part of its port or major assets in the past 15 years?

I can name 5 china has done in the past 5 years.
Just go read about SAPs (structurally adjusted programs). A project by the IMF which is heavilly backed by USA and Europe. SAPs made African governments to sell their publicly-owned industries. This lead most African countries to de-industrialize and that period in Africa is called the lost decade. The west are devils.

·
Registered
185 Posts
As seen recently, companies like Fpizer are demanding sovereign guarantees to supply vaccines to South American countries.
Yeap, every "crisis" is always an opportunity to strangle African countries. After diseases, I bet the next frontier is financial crises as more African countries are forced to liberalize their economies.

·
Snowlion
447 Posts
Very true: If that doesn't work properly, there is always the option of starting wars across Africa and selling weapons even if on credit. This has the extra benefit as can show us how good they are in helping refugees created by same wars.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts

3月21日当日,蒙内铁路开行货物列车14对(28列),其中含双层集装箱列车1列,发送2190标准集装箱,货物发送量2.8万吨,创下蒙内铁路开通以来单日货运发送量历史新高。
▲ The SGR has dispatched 28 freight trains (14 pairs) including one double stack train on 21 March 2021. 2190 TEUs and 28,000 tons of goods were delivered on this day, setting a new record since the commencement of freight service.

source

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
▲ The SGR has dispatched 28 freight trains (14 pairs) including one double stack train on 21 March 2021. 2190 TEUs and 280,000 tons of goods were delivered on this day, setting a new record since the commencement of freight service.

source
Sure it's not 28,000 tons (1,000 tons of freight per train and not 10,000)?

·
Registered
469 Posts

▲ The SGR has dispatched 28 freight trains (14 pairs) including one double stack train on 21 March 2021. 2190 TEUs and 28,000 tons of goods were delivered on this day, setting a new record since the commencement of freight service.

source
For one to realize how significant this is in the context of cargo transport in Kenya in relation to the SGR and all the naysayers , Last year Mombasa handled about 1.2 Million TEUs (Just over 30 Million tons). So theoretically, on that 21st day of March where they had the best performance of 2190 TEUs, if that were to be replicated all year long, It would translate to 2190 * 365 days = 799,350 TEUs p.a. which if I'm not wrong is atleast 15 Million tons.

This is all theoretical of course, but the logic I'm trying to put out here is, This was a normal day, they did not put any special measure to break this record, so if they were able to do 2190 TEUs in a single day using 14 pairs of trains (which BTW, only one of them was double stacked), then if cargo was available to the SGR, they could replicate this every single day for the rest of the year. So theoretically they have the potential of carrying atleast 15 Million tonnes at current configuration of the SGR operational structure... I seem to recall David Ndii claiming the SGR only has a maximum capacity of 8.7 Million tons a year in this article, So that's one more erroneous claim debunked.

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
If Raila had won the last election, I can assure you that Dr. Ndii would be the proponent for the SGR extension to the western region to Uganda. The plan is to oppose until you are there then it becomes your baby and legacy. All that is because only SGR makes sense. I still don’t understand the revival of the MGR as a longterm strategy, May as a short term for now yes, but for longterm nah nah!!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
If Raila had won the last election, I can assure you that Dr. Ndii would be the proponent for the SGR extension to the western region to Uganda. The plan is to oppose until you are there then it becomes your baby and legacy. All that is because only SGR makes sense. I still don’t understand the revival of the MGR as a longterm strategy, May as a short term for now yes, but for longterm nah nah!!
The feasibility for build SGR to Western Kenya did not pass. The level of cargo are not enough. Remember 60% of cargo from Mombasa terminate in Nairobi.

So they are just giving it time. With time, as EA economies grow and cargo volumes increase, the SGR will be built. China changed the model it was using for funding, now opting for projects that can be proven to be feasible leaning on a more on the cautious model rather than the optimistic model. That's why the government decided to complete the last mile to western Kenya using MGR. It's the same concept that was proposed by world bank before on SGR. There model predicated that SGR would only make sense from year 2030 and favoured upgrading MGR.

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
The feasibility for build SGR to Western Kenya did not pass. The level of cargo are not enough. Remember 60% of cargo from Mombasa terminate in Nairobi.

So they are just giving it time. With time, as EA economies grow and cargo volumes increase, the SGR will be built. China changed the model it was using for funding, now opting for projects that can be proven to be feasible leaning on a more on the cautious model rather than the optimistic model. That's why the government decided to complete the last mile to western Kenya using MGR. It's the same concept that was proposed by world bank before on SGR. There model predicated that SGR would only make sense from year 2030 and favoured upgrading MGR.
No one believed this theory. I do not. That’s what you’ve being told to get stuck with an option that doesn’t work. Do we have the feasibility studies comparing MGR vs SGR anyone? I’d like to dissect that comparison carefully. I don’t believe these things unless I can read it for myself and make my own conclusions.

·
Registered
285 Posts

You sound privy to this world bank model. Kindly share the link

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
No one believed this theory. I do not. That’s what you’ve being told to get stuck with an option that doesn’t work. Do we have the feasibility studies comparing MGR vs SGR anyone? I’d like to dissect that comparison carefully. I don’t believe these things unless I can read it for myself and make my own conclusions.
Unfortunately our government does not have money to fund the railway by itself. It has to rely on foreign creditors. if it was up to them according to their plan, the SGR would have been built whether it was feasible or not. But the creditors who where funding it demanded a feasibility study because at the end of the day, they want their loan paid back and china also want to avoid international backlash of strapping poorer countries with bad debt. Chinese back home where also making noise why their government was spending a lot in foreign countries while they have their own challenges back home as aa result of economic slowdown in China. They had to scale back on the whole One Belt and Road projects. This is where we say, if wishes where horses, beggars could ride. At this moment, the only option is grow economy, then we can afford some of these infrastructures. The economies of neighbours are also too small for us to build a railway to the border whereas trucks and MGR will do just fine.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Wondering, If we hadn't asked for basically a 50% discount on the Naivasha Kisumu section, couldn't this thing be halfway to Kisumu by now? Eulogizing Magufuli somewhere in print, Uhuru mentioned that he had taught us to be self reliant (paraphrasing here) and not depend on outside help to build Africa. May be it is time we went the Ethiopia way(Dam) and sourced funds locally to complete this?

10941 - 10960 of 11006 Posts