SkyscraperCity banner

10961 - 10980 of 11004 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Wondering, If we hadn't asked for basically a 50% discount on the Naivasha Kisumu section, couldn't this thing be halfway to Kisumu by now? Eulogizing Magufuli somewhere in print, Uhuru mentioned that he had taught us to be self reliant (paraphrasing here) and not depend on outside help to build Africa. May be it is time we went the Ethiopia way(Dam) and sourced funds locally to complete this?
I followed that trip by Uhunye to China that time.
A few things caught my eye as everyone from Nairobi to Kampala was bullish about an impending SGR deal between the two sisters countries and China.
I. Uhunye's pitch to the Chinese for fifty fifty mix appears to have caught the Chinese flat footed. Evidently if henceforth, it was to move forward, some number crunching was going to have to happen.
2. At that time a group of economic hitmen had hit the shores of Kenya, with a TYPICAL economic sabotaging project.
The Mombasa Motorway. I look back with bemusement at some of the publicity photos and still upto NOW can't help busting out laughing.
In one picture a Bechtel representative is pictured surrounded by widely excited clueless Macharia led ministry honchos. Suffice to say the YANK looked perplexed. He was obviously selling a DUD and looked like surprised how these BOZOS around him couldn't figure it out.
Yes the Mombasa Motorway was an
economic hit aimed at undermining the SGR at it's very foundation.
And YES again UNCLE SAM was going to SPITE China's face, and it didn't matter if a SPANNER clogs our Development plans..
That it did, and the above in my view would be a cause for a PAUSE by anyone, much less the CHINESE, who correctly and perhaps diplomatically called for fresh FEASIBILITY STUDY, so our bureaucrats could gather their lost marbles.
The pause indeed brought some sobriety and the Motorway was kicked, quite correctly down the Highway.
I see the SGR revisited immediately this Covid storm passes. The annoying "economic hit" Motorway will probably follow in phase five years, with my prediction that UNCLE SAM, won't see this come off as planned.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Wondering, If we hadn't asked for basically a 50% discount on the Naivasha Kisumu section, couldn't this thing be halfway to Kisumu by now? Eulogizing Magufuli somewhere in print, Uhuru mentioned that he had taught us to be self reliant (paraphrasing here) and not depend on outside help to build Africa. May be it is time we went the Ethiopia way(Dam) and sourced funds locally to complete this?
Raising money that way would be an extremely hard sell to most Kenyans especially under this Govt

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Q1
A few things caught my eye as everyone from Nairobi to Kampala was bullish about an impending SGR deal between the two sisters countries and China.
I. Uhunye's pitch to the Chinese for fifty fifty mix appears to have caught the Chinese flat footed. Evidently if henceforth, it was to move forward, some number crunching was going to have to happen.
2. At that time a group of economic hitmen had hit the shores of Kenya, with a TYPICAL economic sabotaging project.
The Mombasa Motorway. I look back with bemusement at some of the publicity photos and still upto NOW can't help busting out laughing.
In one picture a Bechtel representative is pictured surrounded by widely excited clueless Macharia led ministry honchos. Suffice to say the YANK looked perplexed. He was obviously selling a DUD and looked like surprised how these BOZOS around him couldn't figure it out.
And YES again UNCLE SAM was going to SPITE China's face, and it didn't matter if a SPANNER clogs our Development plans..
That it did, and the above in my view would be a cause for a PAUSE by anyone, much less the CHINESE, who correctly and perhaps diplomatically called for fresh FEASIBILITY STUDY, so our bureaucrats could gather their lost marbles.
The pause indeed brought some sobriety and the Motorway was kicked, quite correctly down the Highway.
I see the SGR revisited immediately this Covid storm passes. The annoying "economic hit" Motorway will probably follow in phase five years, with my prediction that UNCLE SAM, won't see this come off as planned.
This is all conspiracy you are cooking in your head.

Yes, Americans where looking for opportunities after seeing what Chinese where doing. It was purely business on the part of Betchel. Infact, they where pushing the government to borrow, so that they can make their money upfront instead of PPP model, preferred model fronted by Gok, which has its own risks for Betchel, but for Gok is better they don't have to borrow for such mega project. On political front. American government (under Trump) that pulled the rug under the American private company by asking for feasibility on the motorway, ' just to show they are more responsible unlike the chinese'.

One can argue that the road can come later, wether its done by Betchel or another. It will make more sense after commissioning Dongo Kundu and Mombasa becomes more business and less touristy and there will be more traffic as many business(wo)men criss-cross between Mombasa and Nairobi frequently.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thanks sleekpiano. It makes for as good reading as tellingly it is.
I see a very Consultant Centric report typical of Western Aid agencies.
It's geared to have you kick the problem down lane, as it gets a life of its own and acquire a permanence.
As Museveni ones remarked. He asked for a road, but the Western gave him a footpath.
Their expected benefits @ 22 their EAC master plan project a regional freight traffic of 14.4mt in 2030. I repeat for effect, 14.4mt as @ 2030
Can someone repost latest SGR cargo for last year please. And that's Mombasa/Nairobi.
IT then continues to give you alternative plans. @ 23 and 24 "MGR" of their plan based on the MGR talks of a capacity of 6.2mt within EAC by 2030. I stand to be corrected, but this figure has been or being surpassed by the SGR Mombasa/Nairobi not EAC ten years early.
This World Bank report is dated 2013. Assuming it was adopted, the earliest you'll a World Bank project DELIVERED from time adopted is seven years, and you can BET your bottom dollar. Wouldn't be a complicated project like RAIL.
And it would have been a maintainance prone MGR.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Q1

This is all conspiracy you are cooking in your head.

Yes, Americans where looking for opportunities after seeing what Chinese where doing. It was purely business on the part of Betchel. Infact, they where pushing the government to borrow, so that they can make their money upfront instead of PPP model, preferred model fronted by Gok, which has its own risks for Betchel, but for Gok is better they don't have to borrow for such mega project. On political front. American government (under Trump) that pulled the rug under the American private company by asking for feasibility on the motorway, ' just to show they are more responsible unlike the chinese'.

One can argue that the road can come later, wether its done by Betchel or another. It will make more sense after commissioning Dongo Kundu and Mombasa becomes more business and less touristy and there will be more traffic as many business(wo)men criss-cross between Mombasa and Nairobi frequently.
This was an American dig at the Chinese, at the core of BRI project. IT is a stated GOAL.
A purely business opportunity first discussed at White House later it was billed as challenging opaque and predatory projects from another power, which was always mentioned in the same breath.
In who's head is the CONSPIRACY when Ambassador Carter never mentioned it without a DIG a the SGR. This is not made up.
Suffice to say it was an I'll conceived and poorly thought out idea.
Those who came with business in mind and there were business opportunities, got their projects like the French Mau Summit Motorway and JKIA rail and the Japanese at the coast.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I, not Sleekpiano, linked the document. Just trying to help and I hope it's actually the document he was referencing.

Thanks sleekpiano. It makes for as good reading as tellingly it is.
I see a very Consultant Centric report typical of Western Aid agencies.
It's geared to have you kick the problem down lane, as it gets a life of its own and acquire a permanence.
As Museveni ones remarked. He asked for a road, but the Western gave him a footpath.
Their expected benefits @ 22 their EAC master plan project a regional freight traffic of 14.4mt in 2030. I repeat for effect, 14.4mt as @ 2030
Can someone repost latest SGR cargo for last year please. And that's Mombasa/Nairobi.
IT then continues to give you alternative plans. @ 23 and 24 "MGR" of their plan based on the MGR talks of a capacity of 6.2mt within EAC by 2030. I stand to be corrected, but this figure has been or being surpassed by the SGR Mombasa/Nairobi not EAC ten years early.
This World Bank report is dated 2013. Assuming it was adopted, the earliest you'll a World Bank project DELIVERED from time adopted is seven years, and you can BET your bottom dollar. Wouldn't be a complicated project like RAIL.
And it would have been a maintainance prone MGR.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I, not Sleekpiano, linked the document. Just trying to help and I hope it's actually the document he was referencing.
I stand corrected, kumradhi Ndugu. IT lays bare to the core some SHITY advice we get from these Western Aid Agencies and their OWNERS.

·
Registered
13,458 Posts
Maybe before we push westwards we should also push for electrification. That way when we do build the next line into Kisumu it will include electrification together rather than separate....

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
An interesting new piece about some Nairobi ICD improvements, it's quite astonishing how long it took to adopt some easy to understand quality of life (for everyone involved) improvements.

Weekly operations report for the period March 11-18 shows truck turn-around time for transit imports went down from 13hrs to 5hrs, while truck turn-around for local exports recorded a slight improvement from 1hr 58 minutes, to 1hr 47minutes.
From a half a day (13 hrs being an average i believe there might be a good portion that took more than a day to pick up a cleared container) it just takes only 5 hrs to pick up a container at ICD.

According to KPA's head of inland container depots Peter Masinde, the improved perfomance is as a result of the re- engineering of the business process, which has since seen the combination of two independent truck transactions (dropping export and picking import), with a new target of four hours.Previously, a laden truck would be allowed entry into the depot to drop an empty or full export or an empty truck picking a full import container alone, and gate drive out. These amounted to two transactions of two hours each, eliciting complaints from clients owing to long queuing of trucks.

“The business process was such that when a truck brought in an empty or full container and the same was due to pick a full import container in return , it was required to exit the depot to complete the first transaction first and start a fresh queue to re-enter the depot to pick a full import” Masinde explains.

He noted that truck turnaround operations is twofold; rail and yard operations which is fully under KPA while gate operations is a shared responsibility between the authority and the Kenya Revenue Authority.
Now a truck bringing back an empty can pick off an import container immediately not needing to queue twice to enter the ICD effectively doubling the gate throughput capacity. They operated over 3 years under the previous arrangement! I mean at one point somebody down the line must have noticed thinking "Wait a minute this can't be the most optimal modus operandi".

There has been continuous inter-agency engagements to enhance efficiency in addition to discouraging truck drivers from leaving their trucks unattended to, especially at night and during the weekends.

In a statement on Tuesday evening, Masinde also attributed the low container dwell-time to a revitalized customer service desk and marketing section which have intensified regular contacts with clients, whose containers have not been cleared within the five days free period (for local).
So apparently nagging also helped speeding up stuff.

During the week under review, total imports received at the ICDN recorded 4,380 TEUs (Twenty Foot Equivalent Units) compared to 4,063 TEUs deliveries.
4,350 TEUs came in by rail from Mombasa - 4,063 TEUs left the ICD by truck.

Exports received registered 291 TEUs while deliveries accounted for 381 TEUs.
291 export TEUs received by truck. 391 exports TEUs left by rail for Mombasa in the same week.

The weekly performance showed empties received account for 2,353 TEUs with the deliveries registering 2,794 TEUs.
2,353 empties came in by truck, 2,794 left by rail for Mombasa.

The depot reported a yard population of 4,820 TEUS with imports accounting for 3,581 which is equivalent to 73.84 percent.

A summary of import age analysis revealed that 2,328 TEUs or 65 per cent were up to five days old at the facility, 687 TEUs or 19 per cent were six-10 days old while 566 TEUS were 11-21 days old.
It looks like about 2,000 import TEUs received that week were already cleared. Total rail movements (import+export+empty) was 7,535 TEUs in that week.

The improved performance comes amid enhanced cargo handling capacity on the Standard Gauge Railways(SGR) which links the Port of Mombasa to the ICD-N and the Naivasha Inland Container Depot.

Last month, 23,040 TEUs–the approximate unit of measure of a container,were moved by the SGR freight service to both the Nairobi and Naivasha Inland Container Depots.

This is 28.2 per cent more than the 17,974 TEUs moved during the same month last year, a time when Covid-19 had not yet hit economies.

The best monthly performance however remains that of January when freight services hit a new record since operations started in January 2018.

During the month, 241 trains run from Mombasa delivering 24,256 TEUs to Nairobi and Naivasha ICDs.

·
Registered
285 Posts
An interesting new peace about some Nairobi ICD improvements, it's quite astonishing how long it took to adopt some easy to understand quality of life (for everyone involved) improvements.

From a half a day (13 hrs being an average i believe there might be a good portion that took more than a day to pick up a cleared container) it just takes only 5 hrs to pick up a container at ICD.

Now a truck bringing back an empty can pick off an import container immediately not needing to queue twice to enter the ICD effectively doubling the gate throughput capacity. They operated over 3 years under the previous arrangement! I mean at one point somebody down the line must have noticed think "Wait a minute this can't be the most optimal modus operandi".

So apparently nagging also helped speeding up stuff.

4,350 TEUs came in by rail from Mombasa - 4,063 TEUs left the ICD by truck.

291 export TEUs received by truck. 391 exports TEUs left by rail for Mombasa in the same week.

2,353 empties came in by truck, 2,794 left by rail for Mombasa.

It looks like about 2,000 import TEUs received that week were already cleared. Total rail movements (import+export+empty) was 7,535 TEUs in that week.

I have liked, never mind even having it broken down above, I struggled to breath 😜🤪😂

·
Mnadhimu Mkuu
980 Posts
This was also the time that the Afri Star contact was leaked and citizens saw how lop sided that contract was designed to heavily fleece Kenya Railways and with secretive shareholders as well, this came hot on the heels of the parliamentary report by CAG that showed how Swazuri of NLC and the MD of KR Atanas Maina had teamed up to pay for fictitious land, inflated prices of land to be acquired.

Then Uhuru during a live debate had promised to make the contract public then backtracked...this unfortunate series of events led to a public backlash against the project in particular and anything chineese in General this forced the Government to backtrack and to float the 50/50 financing model idea for the next phase construction. The blame squarely lies with GOK.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hoping that they succeed in shifting most cargo to rail, which would clear up the mess of trucks in Changamwe and in town, with a Badi-like facelift Mombasa can get back its touristy vibe.

For me nothing beats a good leisurely drive down to the coast with stop overs along the way. Its only that the facilities have gotten so old even in Mombasa itself.

A proper revamp of the highway by GOK itself would initiate a revamp of facilities in Mtito and Voi plus new stop-overs, facilities in Amboseli, both Tsavos and Mombasa presents a huge business opportunity for the next generation for many years.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Interesting is that this kinda coincidences that Kenya Railways announced terminating the contract with the Chinese company (which isn't in itself a bad thing if it doesn't compromise operations and safety - but it raises suspicions this was done because of IMF pressure (whose executive board which has to agree to the loan disbursement is controlled by US aligned political appointees).

he agreements also reveal that Kenya has committed to audit nine key parastatals and reform them, according to IMF guidelines to ‘rationalise government involvement in the sector and ensure the viability of State Owned Enterprise (SOEs)’ continued operations’.

These include Kenya Airways, Kenya Airports Authority, Kenya Railways Corporation, Kenya Power and Lighting PLC, Kenya Electricity Generating Company PLC, Kenya Ports Authority, and three of the largest universities.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Interesting is that this kinda coincidences that Kenya Railways announced terminating the contract with the Chinese company (which isn't in itself a bad thing if it doesn't compromise operations and safety - but it raises suspicions this was done because of IMF pressure (whose executive board which has to agree to the loan disbursement is controlled by US aligned political appointees).

In this day and era try as they may, Bretton Woods economic hitmen do not enjoy as much leverage as they did in Eighties and Nineties.
The world is much too alert

10961 - 10980 of 11004 Posts