Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Beppo
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Stanley Street

LIVERPOOL is one step closer to getting a pedestrianised “gay quarter” in the city centre.

Public consultation into the proposed ban on night-time traffic in Stanley Street, Cumberland Street and Eberle Street will start on Wednesday, July 2.

The streets have become the focus for Liverpool’s gay scene and are home to popular bars and clubs.

Letters explaining the scheme will be sent out to business owners and people living in or close to the unofficial gay quarter.

They will have their say on the plans to close the streets with rising bollards between 6pm and 6am.

Those needing night-time access to off-street car parking will be issued with proximity cards that automatically lower the bollard.

Supporters of the idea said the area would become Liverpool’s answer to Canal Street, Manchester’s hugely successful gay village.

City centre councillor Nick Small said the night-time pedestrianisation would improve nightlife and boost business.

He said: “I think the night-time closure is a really good idea.

“There would be an impact on traffic flows around the city centre if Stanley Street was closed all day.

“But we are trying to create a cluster of gay-friendly businesses around that part of the city, building on what is already there.

“This is something the night-time businesses have been pushing strongly for, but the feedback I have had from daytime businesses has been fine.”

He said: “The next step is to receive formal designation from the council and create a new way to bring money into Liverpool. At the moment, the city is losing out to Manchester and Leeds quite significantly.”

Liberal councillor Steve Radford, co-chairman of Liverpool’s Gay Business Association, said the plans would benefit the whole community" :cheers:

Source Liverpool Echo

·
Just something
9,283 Posts
Just when you kick off your sling backs.....

Liverpool gay village plan set for approval.....:hug:

Jan 15 2009

by Ben Schofield, Liverpool Daily Post

MEASURES to create a gay village in Liverpool should get final approval today.

Councillors will consider closing three city centre streets, home to many of Merseyside’s favourite gay-friendly venues, to traffic.

But a compromise over when the roads will be blocked seems to please no-one.

Stanley Street and Cumberland Street will be closed to traffic between 10pm and 5am, Thursday to Monday, while Eberle Street will be permanently shut off.

Liverpool City Council hope this will make the area safer for drinkers and clubbers in the area.

Daytime businesses have complained the restrictions could harm their businesses. They also raised concerns about the state the streets are left in by drinkers. (Tell that to `Old Compton Street/Soho....)

But representatives of the clubs and bars say the measures will not create the desired “cafe culture” in which a gay village will flourish.

OH Pass me the Ipufafen.....:runaway:

·
Let the Jam decide
2,193 Posts
As the council putting tax up this is a waste of money and I for one think my taxes should be spent better or not spent so I dont have to pay more of my hard earned wages

·
Registered
14,005 Posts
Only some bollards I'm afraid. This was pushed for by the gay community, so I doubt there'll be anything in there to offend. In LCC's defence, although they didn't grant precisely what was asked for, even they said that this is only the first step and with an active network and a representative actively involved in the political machine, it's only a matter of time.

·
Fiat Lux
7,596 Posts
Let's hope that all these gay businessmen (are there any businesswomen? Any chance of a Candy Bar in the 'Village'?) donate some of their profits to organisations like Armistead, thus giving back to the 'community' on whose behalf they so vociferously speak.

http://www.armisteadcentre.co.uk/

Maybe they can then open an outreach service for people on the Wirral?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Let's hope that all these gay businessmen (are there any businesswomen? Any chance of a Candy Bar in the 'Village'?) donate some of their profits to organisations like Armistead, thus giving back to the 'community' on whose behalf they so vociferously speak.

http://www.armisteadcentre.co.uk/

Maybe they can then open an outreach service for people on the Wirral?
there is bar du fay which is a lesbian bar, not sure if it's owned by a woman though

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
As the council putting tax up this is a waste of money and I for one think my taxes should be spent better or not spent so I dont have to pay more of my hard earned wages
well the businesses that asked for this to happen all pay their rates too, only at a corporate level which is far higher than that of individuals there is also those that use the businesses and the rates they pay and their rights under a democratic system

·
Just something
9,283 Posts
Money, Money, Money.....all sing together

well the businesses that asked for this to happen all pay their rates too, only at a corporate level which is far higher than that of individuals there is also those that use the businesses and the rates they pay and their rights under a democratic system
I close my eyes let the Rhythm ride.....:lol:

The pink pound and dispossable income.

I`ve known many a straight bar turn pink for the night to get the cash to stay open.....and vanish later in better times?

·
Registered
257 Posts
What do you mean? whats it got to do with stanley st? read the label lol

: )

it was a design exercise for pedestrianisation. And for once, can people see ahead of what is there and appreciate that creating a hub here will lead to the growth and expansion of gay businesses if the right environment and support mechanisms go with it. Might even give that end of dale st some purpose...

·
Just something
9,283 Posts
An `Epstien District` rather than a Gay Quarter......all you need is love?

3/2/09

LIVERPOOL could stage its first Gay Pride event next year after winning support from city leaders.

Councillors hope the event, similar to those in London and Manchester, would boost the city’s nightlife and create a chance to raise money for charity.

Although Liverpool hosts the Homotopia arts festival, the city is one of the few in the UK without its own Pride event.

But Liverpool council backed the idea at its last meeting.

Matthew Fox, from the city’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Network, said the first event could happen as early as next year now it had all-party support.

He believes the Stanley Street area of the city centre, which is earmarked as an unofficial gay quarter, would be the ideal location.

Mr Fox said: “It is wonderful the council has offered its support because people have wanted a Pride event here for some time.

“The likelihood is there will be some sort of event this year, but it will not be the beginning of Pride.

“Realistically, to get it right, we are probably talking early 2010.”

Mr Fox said it was important Liverpool’s event did not just imitate well-established Prides like Manchester’s, which has come in for criticism recently.

He added: “We do not want to just ape Manchester. People are quite critical of Manchester Pride because it costs £20 to walk down a street you can walk down any other day of the year for free.

“Only a small proportion of the money goes to charity and some organisations no longer consider it a charity event.”

A working group will now be set up to come up with ideas of what the programme of events will be.

It is expected to include representatives from Merseyside police, the council, the LGBT Network and a well-known gay writer and broadcaster.

Central ward councillor Nick Small said he was pleased the council committed its support.

He added: “I think we are missing out on the pink pound and we need to make sure we send a strong message that, as a city, Liverpool celebrates diversity.

“Hopefully, the council can bring everyone together and create a really good event for Liverpool.”

[email protected]

Post #10
The pink pound and dispossable income.

I`ve known many a straight bar turn pink for the night to get the cash to stay open.....and vanish later in better times?

·
Just something
9,283 Posts
Is that fella on the right from Australia? Look at the size of his boomerang :naughty:
But if you ..... will it come back?

·
Beppo
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These 'Pride' marches are so cliched nowadays and a bit 70's.

A float full of drag Queens and blokes walking down Dale St in thongs really doesn't float my boat. Sorry.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts