SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, well, i know a few people have done similar things so i hope people won't mind me starting this thread.

Oslo is such a mixed bag of architecture, and being an englishman living here i have become very proud of the place.

Anyway, i thought i'd feature a few of my favourite streets in a bit more depth.

starting with Rådhusgata which runs from Bjørvika to Pipervika and includes some of the oldest buildings in the city.

http://kart.gulesider.no/m/IoVCc

I've got the numbers from gulesider which is not super reliable, so apologies if i've mislabelled anything.

so, here goes...

and a fairly inauspicious start:

technically, i took this pic from the E18, where it used to curl straight off the 'motorway' into town.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rådhusgata 1

the bottom of the road is only separated from the fjørd by the E18, in the background of the first pic you can see the opera and barcode:

not my favourite building in the world, quite recent i'm guessing

there is no No.3, so across Skippergata, is Rådhusgata 5, another modern consstruction

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rådhusgata 2

across the street, and i believe a modern attempt at an old style building

not very successful, IMO, but the doorway is very fine, i guess it is possible it came from the previous building on this site

The bottom section of the street is dominated by very ordinary buildings,

5b is no different, i assume this is one of the few residential buildings:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rådhusgata 7

this building is the first good example of the mixed architecture in the street

combining old with new, the tower is the Thon Panorama Hotel

And this little grey building is Rådhusgata 7c

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rådhusgate 4

completing the crossroad is this very norwegian building, like so many on this street, it is overlooked by something much more modern, which i personally like, as it creates lots of great angles and dimensions.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rådhusgata 9,

This buillding joins onto the cluster of buildings at number 7

and the historic Rådhusgata 11

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Back across the street (squeezed between the modern bookends of Rådhusgata 10 & 18) are some older buldings

Rådhusgata 12

and Rådhusgata 14

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rådhusgata 13 (although not clearly marked that on the map) takes up a whole block and i think it is one of the best looking buildings in the street, very grand and very much of its time

looking back down the street

some detail...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Across Kirkegate from 18, the street switches back to an older style of architecture again
at Rådhusgata 20

i seem to remember seeing that this was due for conversion to flats? maybe it was just a similar looking building

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The final crossroad before the road (and myself) pauses at Christiania Torv, comprises an ugly midrise, a pub many will recognise and oslo's two oldest buildings (i believe)

Rådhusgata 17

Rådhusgata 28

&

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
and a quick look back down, as part 1 of this great street ends

hopefully, that makes sense and has been enjoyable - corrections and comments are welcome.

Starkwell.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Nice thread Starkwell :eek:kay:. I've liked your photos from the beginning of you posting them here and still do. So by all means continue :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts