14. Shaun Berrigan
15. Jacob Lillyman
16. Nate Myles
17. Neville Costigan

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I guess surprises are TC in the starting line up and Neville Costigan on the bench, I guess Crocker and Thaiday are out on medical grounds. Pity, but the replacements are good hard players.

The backs are everyones choices. I feel a bit sorry for players like Prince, Bowen and Slater, but Queensland have a lot of good backs at the moment.

I also think the selecters have gone for size, after 2005 when NSW used its big wingers well with a lot of high kicks and Slater and Bowen were exposed.

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And now the NSW team

1. Anthony Minichiello
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Matt Cooper
4. Jamie Lyon
5. Matt King
6. Braith Anasta
7. Jarrod Mullen
8. Brent Kite
9. Danny Buderus (capt)
10. Brett White
11. Willie Mason
12. Nathan Hindmarsh
13. Andrew Ryan

Interchange
14. Kurt Gidley
15. Steve Simpson
16. Anthony Tupou
17. Luke Bailey

·
No Fat Chicks
858 Posts
Really don't think Mullen should be in the team, this kid has been around for what? one month?
certainly one for the future but not right now

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
I heard the announcement of the NSW team this morning on 2GB. Should be a good lineup. Kimmelorey should be in the squad. He has been in top form.

Queensland are favourites at $1.60 to win and NSW $2.25.

Should be close again this year :):):)

AND GO THE COCKROACHES!!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Really don't think Mullen should be in the team, this kid has been around for what? one month?
certainly one for the future but not right now
Look at the other options- Kimmorley- Gower- Orford- Monaghan- does any of those names really jump out at you????

Not really- lets give the kid a go- if it doesnt work- at least they ca nsay they tried........

Go you blues! :banana:

·
Registered
330 Posts
I heard the announcement of the NSW team this morning on 2GB. Should be a good lineup.

Queensland are favourites at $1.60 to win and NSW $2.25.

Should be close again this year :):):)

AND GO THE COCKROACHES!!!!
Don't think I like the idea of Qld being favourites. We'll have to start talking that one down :banana: Queenslander:banana: Queenslander:banana:

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Brisbane has two origin games and Queensland win most of them though NSW has managed to win a couple after the upgrade of the ground.

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not very happy either about Qld being favourites. It wouldn't have happened too often before, despite the fact Qld has historically been slightly the more successful team.

I think Kimmorley is a pretty good player, I thought NSW would go with him. Is Gower injured? They are taking a bit of a chance on a young guy, but sometimes that can pay off, Allan Langer was a virtual nobody playing for the Ipswich Jets when he first played for Qld in 1987, and he turned out to be one of the biggest stars of the game.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I cannot believe that Queensland has shunned Matty Bowen and Billy Slater again. Brisbane have not been playing very well yet they still get seven (I think it is seven) players in the squad. It is annoying and I am a NSWman.

Gasnier is out for a looonnng time to come.

I think Monaghan should have been picked. He has been playing some really good footy without Orford. Manly have had a top season. They could well possibly be in the top four this year.

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think Slater and Bowen are overlooked by the Qld selecters because neither of them are the 6 foot plus, 90 kg plus players that Tate, Inglis and Hunt are. NSW in 2004 scored a lot of tries with high kicks when those guys were covering the back. NSW is still picking big wingers like King who tower over the 2 Qld boys.

I admit both of them are dynamite in attack, I wish a place could be found for them. But in Origin you also have to pick 3 forwards out of your 4 interchanges, as the game is so tough up front. And that leaves you needing a versatile player like the excellent Berrigan as the 1 backs interchange.

·
Registered
76,990 Posts
im happy with NSW. i think kimmorley should be there. maybe next origin. qld have a good side. should be a good series. i dont really care who wins. im over it.

·
©
9,470 Posts
I think Slater and Bowen are overlooked by the Qld selecters because neither of them are the 6 foot plus, 90 kg plus players that Tate, Inglis and Hunt are. NSW in 2004 scored a lot of tries with high kicks when those guys were covering the back. NSW is still picking big wingers like King who tower over the 2 Qld boys.
Bang! You've hit the nail on the head with that comment!! Completely agree. For Qld to do well, we need a big backline, sorry Bowen & Slater are just not big enough.

·
Here Since 2002
7,261 Posts
Jamie Lyon what an overrated bastard:nuts: , what's he doing in the centres he has been solid without being looking anything but spectacular, Gidley needs to be in the starting line-up, it can provide Minichello with the chance to go and attack in the front-line while Gidley can go fullback, etc. etc. There's already a fat overrated bastard in Braith Anasta, let alone two of them.

I suppose the hooker-dummy half combination will help Mullen. I was really hoping Robbie Farah made it into the XVII but Test incumbents got the nod. I don't know what Tupou's form is like seeing how the Roosters are shite.

1 - 20 of 259 Posts