SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 266 Posts

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Origin time is near. thought id start an origin thread. Post all ya comments in here and dont hold back ppl. Rivalry is what makes this series so unique.

GO THE MAROONS! :rock:

·
Here Since 2002
7,261 Posts
Queensland does have the upper hand IMO, especially in the halves combinations. I think NSW could well gamble Gasnier in 5/8th and Orford/Gower in halfback. Anasta is still well crap in number 6. Look at the Maroons, they're overflowing with number 6 and 7s.

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
Qld has good backs, but NSW has the bigger name forwards, and traditionally origin games have been won by the forwards, they allow the halves to get a roll on, and then the backs to make breaks.

I'm a Qld'er through and through, but after game 3 last year, I don't think we should be letting the media make us over-confident.

I also thought that Croker had a good point with his suspension, in that had he been a NSW player he would have got a lesser suspension. Trevor Gillmeister (one of my all time favourite players) had a good article in the Courier Mail during the week showing all the crucial judicary judgements leading into SOO series, and the Queenslanders were conspiciously more harshly treated.

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^ Game 3 last year i walked out on but that is in the past. New coach, new year. Im tipping a Qld whitewash this year. NSW's half, the big pussy johns has whimped out. Whats wrong with him?

I know that i'd definately have Lockyer, Thurston, Hunt, Hodges, Bowen & Civoniceva in my side. All the others are in contention

·
©
9,470 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised to see Inglis in there after his performance tonight, as well as Cameron Smith. Those 2 guys punished the Cowboys.

Looks like Matt Cooper could miss some or all of the origin series as well, hamstring troubles.

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
I would like to see Lockyer (or Hunt) at fullback for Queensland, with Thurston and Prince as the halves.

If Bowen is picked at fullback, my confidence in a Qld win will go right down, talent though he is, he is too small, and has been found out against NSW who will bomb him all night.

I'd have Bowen on the bench as a late game breaker.

·
©
9,470 Posts
^^
I completely agree. I've always said he's too small & is a bit suspect under the high ball.
But in saying that, he does some brilliant things & i also believe he should be on the bench.

·
Banned
481 Posts
Which game of the series is Melbourne hosting?

Go QLD.

·
Here Since 2002
7,261 Posts
I think it's the decider, presuming it's locked 1-1, so 3rd SOO in Melbourne's Telstra Dome, if I'm not mistaken it will be the venue.

Queensland
1. Matt Bowen 2. Greg Inglis 3. Justin Hodges 4. Brent Tate 5. Steven Bell 6. Darren Lockyer 7. Johnathan Thurston 8. Steven Price 9. Cameron Smith 10. Petero Civoniceva 11. David Stagg 12. Matthew Scott 13. Dallas Johnson
Reserves: Shaun Berrigan, Carl Webb, Sam Thaiday, Nate Myles

Where's Karmichael Hunt? I guess they couldn't drop Matt Bowen after that sensational intercept to win it for them in game 1.

·
©
9,470 Posts
I think Hunt or Inglis should've been fullback with Matty Bowen on the bench. Hunt has a great combination with Lockyer going at the moment.

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^ Not happy with Tate & Berrigan. I wish Hunt was in there for Berrigan. What the hell is up with Tate. He played like crap on sat nite. He ran backwards more than he did forwards.

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
7 new players for Qld, which is probably what is needed after game 3 last year.

I would definitly have had Bowen on the bench

·
©
9,470 Posts
Maroon Grown said:
^^ Not happy with Tate & Berrigan. I wish Hunt was in there for Berrigan. What the hell is up with Tate. He played like crap on sat nite. He ran backwards more than he did forwards.
Whilst i agree Tate was a surprise selection, he is a big match performer & will lift for QLD. I'm happy for him to be there. Berrigan on the other hand is one from out of left field. He's had plenty of time to show form this year, but hasn't really done so. He could be there for his utility value i suppose.

·
Banned
481 Posts
BrizzyChris said:
There is a game in Melbourne? That is just stupid.
Why?

In fact, I will put it to you that on the basis of fairness and an even playing field, Melbourne should host the final origin match every year. Why you may ask. Well Melbourne is a neutral venue so neither QLD nor NSW get to have the crucial decider played at their home ground.

Last time the series was in Melbourne, it drew big crowds. Step outside the square you live in. If you want your game to be truely national, Melbourne HAS to feature, the same way that Brisbane and Sydney have to feauture in the AFL...and look at the great lengths the AFL have gone to to ensure there is an AFL presence in QLD and NSW.

The NRL want the game promoted in Melbourne and this is one of their promotional tools. I for one will be there. Can't wait.

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
^^ I can't ever imagine a Victoria versus South Australia Aussie Rules match being played in Sydney or Brisbane. They would have to employ people to collect the ball every time it got kicked into the empty stands.

·
Banned
481 Posts
Aussie Bhoy said:
^^ I can't ever imagine a Victoria versus South Australia Aussie Rules match being played in Sydney or Brisbane. They would have to employ people to collect the ball every time it got kicked into the empty stands.
And that was a point I alluded to above. Melbourne will go to this game. You won't need ballboys.

The AFL may never schedule a Vic v SA match in either NSW or QLD, but it has done other things to promote AFL such as holding the Brownlow Medal night, the most prestigious night in the AFL calendar, in Sydney. Of course, it has done may other things as well, but I won't go into them as it is beyond the scope of this thread. The Brownlow Medal night was one glaring example.

·
7,972 Posts
Amaruu said:
Why?

In fact, I will put it to you that on the basis of fairness and an even playing field, Melbourne should host the final origin match every year. Why you may ask. Well Melbourne is a neutral venue so neither QLD nor NSW get to have the crucial decider played at their home ground.

Last time the series was in Melbourne, it drew big crowds. Step outside the square you live in. If you want your game to be truely national, Melbourne HAS to feature, the same way that Brisbane and Sydney have to feauture in the AFL...and look at the great lengths the AFL have gone to to ensure there is an AFL presence in QLD and NSW.

The NRL want the game promoted in Melbourne and this is one of their promotional tools. I for one will be there. Can't wait.
Mate, it's got nothing to do with Melbourne or Victoria. This is between NSW and QLD. The rotation system is the way its been done for ages now, so it's not unfair to play 2 games in one state. League is not my game anwyay, so I don't care if Vic doesn't get into it. If money is all that the NRL cares about now, its going to keep going downhill.

1 - 20 of 266 Posts