Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
I've never been there, but I've heard nothing but great things. I guess there are hot dog-like carts around the town but instead of hot dogs its Lobster!! How awesome would that be??!!! From what i have scene of Portland, looks beautiful as well. Does anyone have any pics of Portland?

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
Well, it's probably just a matter of opinion, really. I'll settle to say that they can't be beaten but they can be tied. Seeing as I'm not really an avid beachgoer myself.

I just like the atmosphere of the place. York Beach is the one I'm most familar with (and one of the more popular). Beautiful little beach town, good sand, the craggy coastline. I've never been up north towards Bangor, but some day I'd love to see it along with the Canadian Maritimes. Of course the water was a bit cold, but what do you want...

And salt water taffy to die for. :drool:

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
So is York Beach like a beach town you might find on the Jersey shore or something? I was always under the impression that Maine's coastal towns were fishing centers, and the beach is just an added plus to the bed-and-breakfast segment of the tourism industry.
Having never been to the Jersey shore, I'm not exactly sure, but it's probably like that. York also has a minor amusement park (York Wild Kingdom) just off the beach (never went there, though). I think, and this is based on impression, that the fishing industry is still a major livlihood to many of these towns, especially as you go farther north, but the beach/tourism segment is very strong itself and is nothing new. As well as tons of summer homes, cottages; stuff like that.

After all, the state's nickname is "Vacationland". Pretty much Boston's playground (well, nowadays becoming more of a dumping ground much like NH is as well).

Unfortunately the only part of the state with which I'm familiar is the coastline at the southern tip of the state. Never been in the interior (except for a small portion of NH 153 which dips around Province Lake and into Maine) or farther north along the coast, something I certainly want to do someday.

·
Old Fart
833 Posts
I fell in love with Portland when I visited. Great smaller harbor city with active downtown and so many cool old buildings. It's a gem.

I did notice that the state Capitol building in Augusta, while nice looking, is located in a mainly residential neighborhood away from the main commercial district.

Downtown Augusta

Sorry the pics aren't that good, but it was kind of rainy that day. :dunno:

·
Registered
698 Posts
My family owns a cottage (and I mean that in the literal sense, not in the Newport-"cottage"-with-52-rooms way) in Pemaquid, a few minutes from the famous lighthouse. The Maine coast is amazing; every peninsula has a great, bustling town filled with seafood restaurants that cannot be matched. Of course Portland is perhaps the nicest small city in the country, but don't forget the smaller chain of cities running up the coast to Penobscot Bay: Yarmouth, Brunswick, Bath, Wiscasset, Boothbay Harbor, Waldoboro, Camden . . . especially Camden, these places are really beautiful and overflowing with local color and cheap, fresh lobster.

Pemaquid Point Light, where I spent two weeks in August for the first 15 years of my life

Camden, as seen from the top of Mt Batty, where my cousins live

However, I must disagree with those who say the beaches are great. They may be incredibly scenic, but that water is ball-numbing cold, even in late August. Even southern ME beaches make the water off the Mass Bay side of Cape Cod feel like Guam.

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
Hey, I go to beaches for the atmosphere, not the water. Seaweed...ick!! :lol: I grew up on the Great Lakes and went up to Port Dalhousie on Lake Ontario several times a summer where there are signs warning you not to swim because of high concentrations of bacteria.

Yet Congress continually diverts funds to clean the place up. Way to protect the world's largest source of fresh water; we'll pay for it some day. Oh well, that has nothing to do with Maine, back on topic...

·
Registered
647 Posts
i highly approave of maine. the last few pics up there of nice natural places fill my heart with joy. i will go to maine as soon as i can i think. ahh...the way life should be...i find that so relaxing.

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
i highly approave of maine. the last few pics up there of nice natural places fill my heart with joy. i will go to maine as soon as i can i think. ahh...the way life should be...i find that so relaxing.
yes, maine's truly a joy of natural fresh air. ya' can't beat that! there's nothin' like it. :)

·
Indeed
1,323 Posts
I have visited Bangor twice (my sister lives in the area). I thought it was a vary nice town, with a much larger downtown than you would expect from a city its size.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts