Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Old Fart
833 Posts
Some downright beautiful places (ie. Cape Cod), and some not so beautiful (Holyoke). Boston is one urban rascal, and still has ethnic enclaves (which many cities have lost). Packs a lot of punch for such a small state (around 8,000 sq miles).

But they sure do talk wicked funny up there. ;)

·
18,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From my personal experience, Massachusetts drivers are slow. Whenever there's a bottleneck on I-95 in Delaware (always when I'm in a rush to get from Newark to Wilmington for work), it's a Massachusetts driver holding things up. You would think that they would usually drive well above the speed limit since the cities along I-95 have a fast-paced culture, but apparently thing are done differently in Massachusetts.

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
I always thought it was MA as well.

An old mill/warehouse on the east end of North Adams is where Warren Buffet founded Berkshire Hathway. You practically drive into it when you take MA 2 into town.

The views from MA 2 westbound after the hairpin turn are incredible heading towards NA as well.

·
Buffalo's Worst Nightmare
1,944 Posts
I did not know that about Wisconsin... I was just going by assumptions... thanks for the cranberry clarification, matt.

·
Premium Member
30,817 Posts
Massachusetts! It's that state that's 20 miles north of my house! :colgate:

Springfield and Hartford are almost twin cities...and that's where I go, when in the area, to get cheaper gas. I have spent quite a bit of time, although not recently, in the Pioneer Valley. Western Mass feels almost like a northern extension of Connecticut at times to me...it has more in common with us than the East.

The rest of the state, not so. I have been to Boston plenty of times, but not enough. Cape Cod was nice that first time I visited last year...

There are parts of the state that I know well (Springfield area), but I haven't been to other parts enough. My orientation when travelling is more to the South and West.

From my personal experience, Massachusetts drivers are slow. Whenever there's a bottleneck on I-95 in Delaware (always when I'm in a rush to get from Newark to Wilmington for work), it's a Massachusetts driver holding things up. You would think that they would usually drive well above the speed limit since the cities along I-95 have a fast-paced culture, but apparently thing are done differently in Massachusetts.
Give them credit for what it's worth...Massachusetts' highways are horrible so it's expected in my opinion. I notice the difference in the pavement, the shoulders get smaller, and I hear a "WIRRRRR" noise when I get past the border. The only state with worse highways, as far I as I know, is New York.

CT's highways aren't that hot, but in the more rural areas, it blows Mass in the water.

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
Oooh how did I miss that. Only time I see one holding up traffic is after they've caused an accident. IMO the worst drivers in the country, bar none.

·
18,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My uncle is a lobsterman living in Orleans, on Cape Cod. I've been to Cape Cod several times. My family used to go up to Cape Cod every Easter when I was little. Unfortunately, I haven't been up for Easter in 15 years, and haven't been up to Cape Cod at all in 10 years. Hopefully that changes this Summer.

Cape Cod is beautiful. I love the seafaring culture, the knotty trees and windswept hills and dunes, the little towns, and the woods and ponds.

Some time I'd like to see Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket. I imagine that they are like Cape Cod, except more isolated, less built-up, and slightly different culturally.

·
Buffalo's Worst Nightmare
1,944 Posts
Some time I'd like to see Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket. I imagine that they are like Cape Cod, except more isolated, less built-up, and slightly different culturally.
If you've watched "Wings", you've seen Nantucket.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts