Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Northeast/Mid-Atlantic forum does this so I thought I'd give it a try.

Since Cheesehead posted his up-north Minnesota photos I thought Minnesota would be a good state to discuss for this week. Each monday I'll start a new thread for a new Midwestern state.

Have at it!

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Why don't we just make an understood rule that the thread author can not be someone FROM the state of the week. This could be really cool, good idea Jennifat.

I have relatives that live in St. Paul and frankly I've always gotten the impression that St. Paul was a more upscale city than Minneapolis, which is the more industrial side of the Twin Cities. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's just the impression I've gotten from being up there. Both are very neat cities OF course.

·
Banned
194 Posts
I have relatives that live in St. Paul and frankly I've always gotten the impression that St. Paul was a more upscale city than Minneapolis, which is the more industrial side of the Twin Cities. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's just the impression I've gotten from being up there. Both are very neat cities OF course.
I can definitely see where you're coming from, SRG. As a whole, St. Paul pays substantially more attention to details and beautification of the urban landscape than Minneapolis does. It's also much more wholly residential than Minneapolis; it's sometimes referred to as "fifteen small towns with one mayor". I personally prefer St. Paul neighborhoods over Minneapolis ones.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I can definitely see where you're coming from, SRG. As a whole, St. Paul pays substantially more attention to details and beautification of the urban landscape than Minneapolis does. It's also much more wholly residential than Minneapolis; it's sometimes referred to as "fifteen small towns with one mayor". I personally prefer St. Paul neighborhoods over Minneapolis ones.
Personally, I like both almost equally. Minneapolis gets the nod with me because there is more to do overall, and the fact that it has 3 of the 4 major sports clubs for the area. Though Saint Paul does have the Wild and the Saints. I see them as two separate cities because of the distance between the downtowns, but the planned LRT lines between them will make them feel more like one.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Even though it's too damn cold, Minnesota still has a lot going for it. For one, it has diverse topography, it is at the intersection of 3 major biomes in North America, prairie, deciduous forest, and northern boreal forest. Part of the canadian shield is in Minnesota, some the oldest rock on earth. It has the headwaters of the Mississippi and the only natural waterfall on the Mississippi. It has the farthest inland port on the Greatest of the Great Lakes. It has lots of lakes. The land in the south is super fertile farm land, the land in the north is forest with one of the greatest iron ore deposits in the world (In 2004, it produced 75% of the country's iron ore). It has world class freshwater fishing--Bass, Walleye, Northern, Catfish, Muskie, Trout, Salmon. It has 4 major sports teams. It has the boundary waters and the Twin Cities. It has about 20 fortune 500 companies. It has the Mayo Clinic. It ranks high in education and healthcare. That's about all I can think of now.

·
Registered
978 Posts
It's all about....

·
Registered
181 Posts
the bridges of St. Paul project is never ever ever never ever ever never going to happen. The whole thing was fantasy and nothing more.

·
I claim to be staff.
2,171 Posts
Winona, Minnesota is one of the most fantastic small to mid-sized Midwestern cities around. I'd also like to point out that the North Shore is quite possibly the most beautiful scenery within reasonable driving distance for us Midwesterners.

Vikings suck btw.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
St. Paul has an anti-development mayor who won't approve the Bridges, not because of the subsidy asked to cover infrastructure, but because Chris Coleman does not think St. Paul can "afford" urban growth, i.e., having to put in new roads, and servicing the development...the cost of expanding downtown St. Paul across to the other side of the Mississippi River.

But as of LAST March hundreds of buyers had already put in over a hundred million dollars worth in tentative reservations.

·
joe cool
65 Posts
Duluth and the north shore is one of the most beautiful places in the midwest i love it there. also the area along the Mississippi is also pretty and st paul is a very nice city i like its historic feel Minneapolis i dont get to much but its one of my favorite skylines.i will post some pics of Duluth later.

oh and the Vikings suck

·
Savior of Gondor
1,505 Posts
Duluth is a jewel..and my icon of course. Love south central..St Peter/Mankato/New Ulm area.

Oh yeah..the vikes suck I agree

1 - 20 of 40 Posts