Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
My "home" from 05/15/01 to 05/21/05
After "Live Free or Die", New Hampshire can be summed up in 5 words:
Old Man of the Mountains.

It's everywhere. The state route markers, the coin, in the logos of countless local businesses, etc., etc., etc. When it finally fell in 2003 (they say it should have fallen a long time ago were it not for massive amounts of preservation), it was literally a massive blow to the psyche of the state, almost like a young kid losing a parent.

Here are some of my favorite pics that I took of some of the scenery:

(Warning: Large, wide pictures)
Actual perspective of the Old Man (it's quite often foggy and misty up there in the notch, as you can no doubt tell)

Mt Washington Valley and Mt Washington (highest peak in the northeast and one of the highest east of the Rockies; a few along the NC-TN border are a bit taller) from the Conway rest area on NH 16.

Some typical scenery from one of the overlooks on NH 112 Kancamagus Hwy ("the Kank") in the White Mountains.

The Swift River (just off the Kank)

It's a very natural state, it's a very libertarian state. Though I will never move back there, there are many things about the state which I enjoy, and it's much better than its upside-down neighbor to the west.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Well, my best friend is from Greenland, NH just outside Portsmouth I believe....says it's really nice there durring summer and fall and we're considering taking a roadtrip up there (as well as upstate ny) as something to do as a group for the summer. Apparently you can practically walk to Maine from there and the beaches are awsome durring the summer.

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
I lived for 3 months in a house just behind that large building in the distance in the first picture. Downtown Concord is really nice. It leaves a bit to be desired in terms of completeness of retail, but it's nonetheless fairly active and does rather well.

There has also since been built a 6-7 story building what would be most of the way down the east (left) side of that picture (Sears Block), which I think makes it one of the city's tallest, if not. The city has a pretty strict ordinance requiring clear sight lines of the gold Capitol dome, so generally there's not any height there. It's pretty much just known for its "skyline" of church steeples, and seeing the rather unattractive backside of those buildings on the east side of Main St from I-93 (the ground drops off steeply, the backsides of those buildings are all 2-3 stories taller and it's only half the block).

Never took a tour of the statehouse. They've actually considered changing the state seal (on the top of that historic marker) - removing the Raleigh (the frigate) with the Old Man of the Mountain. As if it isn't on everything else.

·
18,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Speaking of the Old Man of the Mountain, do people in New Hampshire feel like they lost their state identity now that it fell down? Is there a sense of emptyness or anything, or do people feel that New Hampshie feels like any other state now? Or, do people not really care that it's gone?

Also, is there a movement to make a new Old Man of the Mountain in some way, whether with random blasts to make a natural cliff, or carve out a face of someone like on Mount Rushmore?

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
Depends on who you ask. Mostly the older people, or anybody middle-aged who has lived there their whole lives were absolutely devastated. I don't know if it's as much an image problem, even though they take pride in how that weathered old face embodied the state (which it really does/did). Best I can equate it is how I said it before - like a child losing a parent. New Hampshire, at least not the rapidly growing number of Mass transplants, is the personification of that libertarian New England spirit - yeah it was an image, but I don't think they particularly care what anybody else thinks their image is. Besides which, it lives on; it still is the image, really.

As for re-creation, yeah, various plans have popped up, I think they generally involved a fiberglass shell of some sort. Fortunately better tastes have prevailed and I think they've just decided to let it be. The biggest problem with re-creating it is that it was a natural formation (yeah, if George Washington's head fell off Mt Rushmore, who wouldn't be all for rebuilding it) and it only looked like that from that one angle. It was basically 5 strata of granite sticking off the top of Cannon Mountain, and it just happened to bear that resemblence from that angle. It had been crumbling for years. Most "experts" (including the state employee "caretaker") agreed that it probably would've fallen a long time ago, generally in the 50s, if the preservation efforts hadn't been made (basically consisting of massive turnbuckles and bungees hidden from view). They were particularly afraid it was going to come down during the construction of I-93 through the Notch, so much so that the design was modified to only one lane in each direction; basically leaving a "missing link" on I-93, another little quirk of the Interstate system.

Instead, some of the viewfinder things that you used to use to look at it I think have had an image of it actually ghosted onto it so you could see how it looked.

I remember someone from Niagara Falls had actually written a letter to the newspaper about it. Saying yeah, it sucks in a way, but what are you supposed to do? They mentioned that some day, Niagara Falls will probably retreat so far back into Lake Erie and virtually disappear (now I don't know what the geologic possibilities are related to that), which is beside the point, the point being what are you going to do then, rebuild the Falls? At least that's the gist of it, that was a few years ago.

There's alot about it across the web, just google it and there's all sorts of things. Including some pictures of what it looked like from the other side (looking north).

There are some other interesting geological formations in the Notch. Evidently, though I was never able to find it, there's another likeness, this time an "Indian Head". Then there's the "Eagle's Nest" (or Egg, I forget), that looks like what it sounds like. Almost like a bedpost, probably the northeast's equivalent to all those wind-shaped sandstone formations in Utah. The flume gorge is pretty neat too, unfortunately I never did that (and I had 1/2 off admission as a state employee!).

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Niagara Falls will be in the Buffalo city limits in about 100,000 years I believe is what I've heard.....don't think that's something that city counsel or any preservationaist needs to worry about now.

·
Beer is a Tasty Treat
769 Posts
Plus, Niagra Fall's movements and changes will happen so gradually, that no one will be bothered by it. No one will ever be able to say they remember when it was over there------------------>:banana:

Of course, in one-hundred thousand years, Buffalo will be an ancient city. Its economy will likely be on the rebound by then. :lol:

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
Yeah, but only twice and not for very long either time. Strawberry Banke is really neat, it's like you were dropped right into the middle of some city in Europe. Some of the streets are literally like 10 feet wide sandwiched between buildings! It would probably be a challenge to find any more singularly European place anywhere else in the US.

·
Old Fart
833 Posts
Has anyone ever been to Portsmouth? I've seen pictures of it on SSP last Fall, and it looked very charming. I remember seeing something on Strawberry Banke on a documentary maybe 10 years ago as well. It seems like a really nice little city to visit.
Nice smaller city. I love the nautical stuff, so a working port (and an old one at that) was a nice place to visit for me. Here's a few pics (not very good, but what the heck):

:)

·
Beer is a Tasty Treat
769 Posts
Much of the center of Portsmouth is like the Old Port in Portland, if you've ever been there. I've always said Portsmouth is the best city in New Hampshire, even though it's far from the largest. Those pics from Ex-Ithacan are a good example of the feel of Portsmouth. It's near some great beaches and only an hour from Boston and Portland. Not a bad locale.

·
Buffalo's Worst Nightmare
1,944 Posts
I enjoiyed my visit to Chutter's. New Hampshire gots it goin on!

·
I Got A dig bick.
54 Posts
I have always been fascinated with New Hampshire.
Hopefully I will be able to travel there, Chicago is getting boring. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts