Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is time yet again to start a new state - I hereby appoint Ohio as number three.

I really like these state-of-the-week threads, glad Jennifat got this started!

·
King of Flyover Country
1,085 Posts
And various city neighborhoods:

Akron

Canton

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Blah blah for Columbus, Dayton, Toledo, Youngstown, Springfield, etc (just go to the website).

·
Registered
978 Posts
Coldayman, always a pleasure when I see your stuff on SSP. very nice.

Never saw a drive thru package store until I visited Cedar Point. What's the deal with those?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Some things this Californian likes about Ohio.

1. The great serpent mound.
2. The Browns
3. The Hall of Fames both Rock and Roll and Pro football
4. The hotel in the converted grain elevators in Akron.
5. Cedar Point. Best roller coasters in the world.
6. Kings Island. even more great roller coasters.
7. The Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library.
8. Put-in Bay.
9. Cleveland Art Museum.
10. The Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton.
11. The Amish communities in Eastern Ohio
12. The Indians.
13. The Cincinnati Zoo.
14. Over the Rhine.
15. My wife's relatives in Toledo.
16. James Thurber home in Columbus.

But I will always hate Ohio State's football teams! (and Woody Hayes).

·
Registered
511 Posts
Ohio is a great state that sits at such an intersection. You have the industry of the Great Lakes region, the hills of Appalachia, the southern influences in Cincinnati, and the vast farmland in the northwest part of the state. It is a very diverse geological and cultural state, which is really cool.

Also, you have to love Ohio's urban areas, of which they have many. The Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland lot are major American cites and Cincinnati and Cleveland both played large roles in the formation of this country.

One thing I don't really get is the Universities. There is Ohio State and then a ton of smaller, but still quite large public universities. I wonder why Ohio never developed a second large state school like some other states have. I guess maybe the University of Cincinnati is moving toward filling that role.

And ... come on with the voting!!! Can we officially blame you for this? What happened to your union roots?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Drive-thru package store?
We were staying in Fremont, in Sandusky County. The liquor stores had a bay that you drove into to buy beer. Never saw that B4. Maybe I need to get out more. :nuts:

·
JUNCTA JUVANT
833 Posts
One thing I don't really get is the Universities. There is Ohio State and then a ton of smaller, but still quite large public universities. I wonder why Ohio never developed a second large state school like some other states have. I guess maybe the University of Cincinnati is moving toward filling that role.

And ... come on with the voting!!! Can we officially blame you for this? What happened to your union roots?
UC is sitting at around 35K ... not too shabby and has the university's first ever in history waiting list for freshman.

OSU is a city of it's own. Talk about large-scale.

·
King of Flyover Country
1,085 Posts
If you are talking about "second flagship," Ohio has changed flagships more timed than Larry King's wives. From Ohio University, to Marietta College, to Miami University, then to finally OSU, the state has built quite a few schools up, flagship or not. Hell, University of Cincinnati, at 35k, would be a flagship school in over 45 states but in this one, it joins ranks of other larger schools such as Ohio, Kent State, Bowling Green, and Miami U. Almost every decent town in this state has a university, which is quite interesting.

And Ohio was the home of 8 US Presidents, not 6.

Blame Blackwell, not Ohio. When a voting population waits in line for 3 hours in the rain and half didn't even get to vote, it would be an insult upon injury to "blame" Ohioans that weren't allowed to vote due to a corrupt Secretary of State (who also happens to be in cahoots with the voting machine company).

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
If you are talking about "second flagship," Ohio has changed flagships more timed than Larry King's wives. From Ohio University, to Marietta College, to Miami University, then to finally OSU, the state has built quite a few schools up, flagship or not. Hell, University of Cincinnati, at 35k, would be a flagship school in over 45 states but in this one, it joins ranks of other larger schools such as Ohio, Kent State, Bowling Green, and Miami U. Almost every decent town in this state has a university, which is quite interesting.

And Ohio was the home of 8 US Presidents, not 6.

Blame Blackwell, not Ohio. When a voting population waits in line for 3 hours in the rain and half didn't even get to vote, it would be an insult upon injury to "blame" Ohioans that weren't allowed to vote due to a corrupt Secretary of State (who also happens to be in cahoots with the voting machine company).
Hell yes to the bolded part. Lived in the same place for 15 years and never waited to vote..then waited over 3 hours..with two lines snaking through the building and still both lines extending out into the steady rain-while more suburban Republican districts had no lines at all. They had only 1/3 of the usual voting machines where I voted. Blackwell should have been shot.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
out of all the places in ohio to visit, you pick fremont.....
I've traveled all over the state, the rest of my list should have made that clear. Actually my sister and brother-in-law used to live in Cleveland before they moved to Paris. His family still roots for the Indians. Be nice to me. How may other Californians do you know who have out out to visit Ohio?

And anyway, what's wrong with Fremont?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts