Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Absolutely love this state!! I was there for the first time on Memorial Day weekend. Mostly saw the Providence area. Absolutely beautiful. I am amazed by the smallness of the area, reminds me of the UK. Everything is an hour or so away.

Anyways, some pics from the trip:

Providence skyline from I-195:

Some of the gorgeous housing stock:

My Favorite House:

The Wickenden St. Business District:

This is what I call a beer selection:

Little Italy, Atwells Ave. on Federal Hill:

Downtown at night and Waterfire:

For the Family Guy fans out there:

Yes, Pawtucket Patriot beer does exist, and its damn good too! :cheers: Gigidy Gigidy...

And we'll finish with the Capitol at night:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Did you ever make a thread to show your photos? You should if you didn't do that yet.
Didn't have the time, but I was going to originally. These are the best pics from the trip. I saw that we were doing RI this week so I figured that I'd just plop them in here to go with the RI conversation. If I get a chance I'll make a separate thread though if you would like...

·
18,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didn't have the time, but I was going to originally. These are the best pics from the trip. I saw that we were doing RI this week so I figured that I'd just plop them in here to go with the RI conversation. If I get a chance I'll make a separate thread though if you would like...
It would make sense to make a separate thread. That's the standard when you have a bunch of pictures of a place to show to everyone.

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
more providence...

taken last year

city hall...

city hall and the lanmark biltmore hotel...

downtown...

college hill...

RI state house...

providence place mall (r), westin hotel (c) and GTECH HQ (l)...

federal hill...

warehouse district...

·
Premium Member
30,805 Posts
Great pics.

I haven't been much to Rhode Island (as I said in the Mass thread, I visit West and South more), but I did go to Providence more than once. It seems like a great model of what Hartford and other cities can become after a couple more years of redevelopment.

From what I hear, RI's beaches are much better than the ones here. I like Rhode Island because it makes Connecticut look huge in comparison, but it actually packs a punch for such a small state. Nice state.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I absolutely love Rhode Island, the state's inept drivers non withstanding. My family is all from Boston, but we make every effort to spend many weekends in Rhode Island whenever I go back to the US.

Pastiche is hands down the best Italian coffee/dessert place I have ever been to (yes, in my opinion it even beats out Mike's in the North End), and Colt State Park down in Bristol is simply picturesque.

·
exiled New Yorker
204 Posts
Providence is a lovely little city, and really has a lot of potential. I also love Newport, what an awsome place, too bad noone has posted photos of that gem. My only other expericance with that state is that traffic is horrible, the Cranston accent is unbearable, and the colleges there defenetly know how to party!

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Providence could very well be Boston's little brother, another city that's architecturally pleasing. I also, indeed like it for how it's portrayed in Family Guy! Love the way they talk, too.

·
Cape Codder
33 Posts
why is it called island again?
The official name is "The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations" which makes it the state with the longest name. Rhode Island is the island that Newport (and Middletown and Portsmouth) sit on. The island is known as Aquidneck Island and that is what almost everyone calls it, but it is officially, "Rhode Island." Originally, the state had two capitals, Providence and Newport, and Newport was actually the far larger and more important city for much of the colony and state's history. So Rhode Island was actually the cultural and political center of the state, and the rest was simply known as Providence Plantations.

The state was actually far smaller in the past. The East Bay communities, Bristol, East Providence, Warren, Barrington... were part of Massachusetts, as was the east side of Pawtucket (although Pawtucket was part of Providence back then). Fall River, Massachusetts was part of Rhode Island for a time, a land swap for Fall River is what gave RI the East Bay communities.

Roger Williams founded the colony when he was chased from the Massachusetts Bay Colony and the Plymouth Colony where he was a victim of religious persecution. When he first set up the colony of Providence he was actually in what is present day East Providence, so officials from Plymouth Colony came and told him that the area was part of their Colony and that he had to leave. He crossed the river and finally settled where Providence stands today.

·
Cape Codder
33 Posts
Absolutely love this state!! I was there for the first time on Memorial Day weekend. Mostly saw the Providence area. Absolutely beautiful. I am amazed by the smallness of the area, reminds me of the UK. Everything is an hour or so away.
Rhode Islanders are notorious for having a low tolerance for distance, they almost literally cannot drive anywhere that is more than 15 minutes away. More than 15 minutes and a trip becomes a journey. People from the Providence area will stay overnight at South County beaches in the summer (about a 40 minute drive).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts