SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
11,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
In the last photo, they have marked the height of the statue at 138.680 meters which is the height of the Sardar Sarovar Dam.

·
INDIA
3,677 Posts

·
11,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Wow!

·
11,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
You never know. I think the head is already built on the ground. Dont know how they are going to put it into place though. And if all the body segments up to the neck are ready then it should'nt take much time to put them in place.

Obviously the whole project wont be ready but they can have the statue ready.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yes, the parts are ready, only cladding (not sure if it is the correct word) is to be done. The statue and the museum complex should be ready by Oct 31. I think they will also have a sea plane land here from Sabaramati Riverfront for the inauguration.

·
Registered
11,466 Posts
First time I am visiting this thread only after I saw the update on Rediff.com. I guess the portion that I wanted to understand was why is it Sardar Sarovar Dam area. Shouldn't it have been built near Amdavad or GIFT so that it gives a glimpse of the city? I think that would have been a more ideal location. Because there would be visitors to the statue who would go to the top to get a view of the area, wouldn't the visitors want a more lively view instead of a sad quiet area?

·
11,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I also thought of this, and while Lady Liberty and Christ the Redeemer have become true urban icons of their respective cities I feel you need a good natural setting for a statue. So while both are always associated with NYC and Rio respectively, they are actually built in a natural setting (island and mountain). Putting a huge statue right in the middle of the city will overshadow everything else (esp since Ahmedabad does not have any building which is even half as tall as the statue).

I doubt if it would make as much sense to put LL and CtR in Times Square and Copa Cabana for instance.

And then of course there is the fact that the dam is named after Sardar. So you can build the narrative that the great Sardar is watching over the very lifeline of Gujarat. Cant think of a better place for his statue to be built.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Not just named after Sardar but Sardar sarovar dam was actually proposed by Sardar Patel to Nehru way back in 1948.... that's why it's named after him. He wanted it to be built to cure the drought situation of Saurashtra region.

·
Registered
11,466 Posts
I also thought of this, and while Lady Liberty and Christ the Redeemer have become true urban icons of their respective cities I feel you need a good natural setting for a statue. So while both are always associated with NYC and Rio respectively, they are actually built in a natural setting (island and mountain). Putting a huge statue right in the middle of the city will overshadow everything else (esp since Ahmedabad does not have any building which is even half as tall as the statue).

I doubt if it would make as much sense to put LL and CtR in Times Square and Copa Cabana for instance.

And then of course there is the fact that the dam is named after Sardar. So you can build the narrative that the great Sardar is watching over the very lifeline of Gujarat. Cant think of a better place for his statue to be built.
But as a visitor would you be more excited to see the lively city or just be at the top of the statue and see quiet boring land. I wouldn't say build it in a hustling city center of Ahmedabad but GIFT was an ideal location or maybe near Kankaria or Sabarmati river front. Think about getting people getting a WOW factor when they visit the top of the statue.

·
11,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Riverfront or Kankaria would be right in the heart of the city. GIFT would be a mismatch IMO. Best place in that area would have been Mahatma Mandir in Gandhinagar but for obvious reasons that would backfire :lol:

·
Complex Equation
6,926 Posts
But as a visitor would you be more excited to see the lively city or just be at the top of the statue and see quiet boring land. I wouldn't say build it in a hustling city center of Ahmedabad but GIFT was an ideal location or maybe near Kankaria or Sabarmati river front. Think about getting people getting a WOW factor when they visit the top of the statue.
dude have you visited that area? It could give the most scenic places in the world a run for their money.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts