Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 324 Posts

·
actual gherkin
13,931 Posts
There are some brilliant sculptures in the Yorkshire sculpture park (naturally) near Leeds, but I've noticed some lovely sculptures in Leeds city centre too:

I guess this counts as sculpture! It's functionally useless other than to look at!

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think all of those pictures and the idea of the thread would work in 'your city in details' thread.
I think the 'your city in details' thread works well in it's own right .... I think threads get too big if 'all & sundry' are posted to them. Adding a new thread just makes things easier to locate if you just happen to be interested in statues, monuments or public works of art :)

·
ßANNED
4,233 Posts
My favourite sculpture is probably the 'Superlambanana' in Liverpool. It's just such a weird concept it's funny!

·
Divemaster!
6,699 Posts
BIRMINGHAM
Love this one. I always admire the statues in cities that aren't done to conventional standards, the ones that are unexpected and catch you by surprise, either sitting on a bench, leaning against a wall, set in mid-walk at a random spot in a street, I even saw one once in Canada (not sure if it was even a monument to anything or just a nice bit of art) where there was a figure of a man trying to pull himself out of a building, it was done really cleverly.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts

Those freaky arms.... meant to symbolise friendly welcoming Leeds.... make want to want to run off in the opposite direction. Sinister looking things, they are.

They're the worst kind of representative art. :shiver:

·
Registered
30,679 Posts
Those freaky arms.... meant to symbolise friendly welcoming Leeds.... make want to want to run off in the opposite direction. Sinister looking things, they are.

They're the worst kind of representative art. :shiver:
They don't represent a welcoming to Leeds; they are meant to represent Leeds' outreach to the world through Nelson Mandela, a freeman of the city.

All of Mandela Gardens celebrates this; one of the gardens is called 'Freedom to the Future' and is inspired by Mandela's struggle for freedom. It celebrates the link between Durban and Leeds.

1 - 20 of 324 Posts