Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts

Carlton Hotel

Rouche - Beirut, Lebanon

Awaiting Renovation

The Carlton is closed. There is no construction going on there. That concrete high-rise right behind it is an expansion they started during the war and it was never finished.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Beirut! said:
^^ The problem was that the owner died I think...
A group of Saudis bought it from the Medawar family (the owners of the hotel) along with the Saudi company, Fahd al Adel last April.

They are going to demolish the hotel and the unfinished annex and build a new hotel in its place, but no formal plans have been announced yet. They are probably going to wait a few years.

·
4,373 Posts
Lebanese Cedar said:
A group of Saudis bought it from the Medawar family (the owners of the hotel) along with the Saudi company, Fahd al Adel last April.

They are going to demolish the hotel and the unfinished annex and build a new hotel in its place, but no formal plans have been announced yet. They are probably going to wait a few years.

That will be a shame if they demolish it because it is a famous landmark in the area...
But as long as something changes thats all that matters.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beirut! said:
That will be a shame if they demolish it because it is a famous landmark in the area

But as long as something changes thats all that matters.
Yes, it is a very famous landmark and it was one of the best hotels before the war, but it could not face up to the competition of the new hotels that were coming up because it became old and outdated and was in need of renovation.

It closed in 2002, the same year the Movenpick opened which is right next door.

The new owners figured it's an old building that is not worth renovating and it is better to invest in building a new more modern structure that will be more attractive to customers and be capable of competing with Beirut's other luxury hotels.

Saudi Prince Walid bin Talal, the owner of the Movenpick and the Four Seasons under construction was planning to buy it in 2000, but for some reason, the deal never went through. I'm not sure why.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nadini said:
yes for some reasons they have not renovate the highrise, just the bottom part

From what I heard, the young son of the hotel owner (who was in charge of renovating and running the establishment) died tragically in the 90s, and the father - an old man- was so grief-stricken that he did not go through with the project, and has been largely withdrawn since the loss.

·
Banned
32 Posts
the carlton hotel was sold last year..2 saudis investers bought the carllton hotel for 12 million dollars...from a magazine i knew that the two investers want to build a big hotel..it would be one of beiruts biggest hotel.....i read this in the lebanaise opportunities

·
4,373 Posts
abbass said:
the carlton hotel was sold last year..2 saudis investers bought the carllton hotel for 12 million dollars...from a magazine i knew that the two investers want to build a big hotel..it would be one of beiruts biggest hotel.....i read this in the lebanaise opportunities
Thats great news, thanks for the info! Do you by any chance have a link to anything that states this news?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Beirut! said:
Thats great news, thanks for the info! Do you by any chance have a link to anything that states this news?
It was reported in several Lebanon business magazines, but here is one internet source:

One of the biggest hotels in the Middle East will be constructed in Lebanon - 5/9/2005

A real estate transaction was signed recently in Beirut between Prince Turki Bi Naser Abdel Aziz and Mohammed Bin Fahd Bib Abdel Aziz, the son of the Saudi King, with Fahd Aladl for buying the existing estates of Carlton Hotel in Raouche for $44 million.
Some sources said the old buildings of the Carlton Hotel will be demolished and a new hotel, one of the biggest and most luxurious hotels in the Middle East will be constructed.
http://www.ifpexpo.com/News_show_news.asp?id=1328

I just read this from a May 3 interview with Ritz Carlton's area manager:

Mr. Dardenne is presently working on two hotels at the conceptual stage in Kuwait and Beirut and has his eye on Cairo, Abu Dhabi, Oman, Jeddah and Riyadh.

"In Kuwait we are negotiating a mixed-use complex with residential and office components in a great location. And in Beirut we are studying the redevelopment of the old Carlton Hotel on the corniche."
http://www.ameinfo.com/84916.html

So according to the latest reports, it will be turned into a Ritz Carlton.

However, this is conflicting from a report I found yesterday about plans to build a 250-room Ritz Carlton on Rue du Port in the Beirut Central District.

I will try to find out some more info next week when I'm in Beirut. For now, I will take the word of the interview.

I am still interested about this 250-room hotel on Rue du Port though. Maybe it is the rumored JW Marriott...

·
4,373 Posts
^^ Thanks, interesting stuff Lebanese Cedar... I am just surprised it has taken a year and they are still at the conceptual stage... I hope this project moves faster!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Beirut! said:
^^ Thanks, interesting stuff Lebanese Cedar... I am just surprised it has taken a year and they are still at the conceptual stage... I hope this project moves faster!
Ritz Carlton didn't join the project until March or April. That's just 1-2 months ago.

·
Support The Environment
1,122 Posts
At the back road of the Carlton, there is that big abandoned building. Also, I noticed another smaller construction site next to it which has been barely touched for so many months. What building is that? Or is it part of the Carlton?

·
Registered
49 Posts
not sure how true this is, but i have heard that Ritz Carlton is interested in the Carlton site. completion of the building is postponed until negotiations are complete.

can anyone confirm the accuracy of this rumour?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tripolis said:
not sure how true this is, but i have heard that Ritz Carlton is interested in the Carlton site. completion of the building is postponed until negotiations are complete.

can anyone confirm the accuracy of this rumour?
Yes this is true.

Out of curiousity, where did you hear this? I just want to see if we got our info from the same sources.

·
Free Lebanese spirit
1,256 Posts
We had a great view on Raoucheh & the Carlton from our Ain El Tineh appartment. The Carlton concrete shell was built in 1973-74 & not during the war, it was used by the PSP (Joumblat militia) as a wepons depot.

·
Registered
644 Posts
There is a chance for us to see this structure under the name Ritz-Carlton in Beirut. If built, they will demolish the current high-rise and low-rise.

This structure is still proposed. It is studied by Chicago based Perkins+Will architectural firm.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts