Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There is a lot of interesting development regarding the public transport system in greater Stavanger coming up during the next years. A BRT/busway system is under construction, and the route structure for the next contract period is in the design phase (with the busway in focus). Upgrades and extensions of the railway are also under discussion.
I thought it might be a good idea to have a dedicated thread to this subject, since I can find few other adequate threads.

Today's public transport system within the Stavanger urban area is largely based on the bus network. Most routes radiate out of the Stavanger and Sandnes city centres which act as the central hubs. There is also a large network of so-called X-routes, most of which run during rush hour only, which connect many suburbs directly with the office clusters at Forus and Risavigå, often running via the motorway and bypassing the city centres. Dedicated bus lanes exist on parts of the major artery roads. Public transport services in Rogaland county are administered and marketed by Kolumbus, including bus and boat lines, but excluding rail which is operated by the Norwegian State Railways, NSB. Kolumbus period passes are valid on buses and local trains alike, but Kolumbus single tickets are not recognized by NSB. Boats generally operate on separate fare tables, indepenent from the regular zone system, and hence require additional ticket products in any case.
Network map

The railway line between Stavanger and Sandnes was upgraded to double track in 2009, allowing NSB to service this urban stretch in 15 minute intervals with Class 72 local trains. Although some rural bus lines do exist, the local railway line forms the most important public transport link to the Stavanger urban area for commuters from the regions of Jæren and Dalane in the south. Since the railway do not serve Forus, Gausel is used as a transfer station between trains and buses to Forus.

Poor performance of the public transport system and a wealthy population has caused private car to be the transportation of choice for most inhabitants. The result is congested roads during rush hour. Since buses are largely stuck in the same traffic jams as regular cars, and thus unable to adhere to schedule, discussions about a new, “high quality” public transport system have been going on for years. In late 2012, the Fylkesting (county government) finally decided on a BRT, or busway system; despite a large minority in favour of light rail, which has been very successful in Bergen. The busway is currently marketed as “Bussvei 2020” and expected to open in 2021. The dedicated lanes will be taken into use by regular bus services as soon as each section is finished. Many details are still to be discussed, but two lines are planned, which will largely follow the same right-of-way, while branching off from each other in each end.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Utredningen konkluderer med at elektriske busser som får strøm fra kjøreledning over veibanen, blir det dyreste alternativet av de løsningene som nå vurderes for bussveien mellom Stavanger og Sandnes.

Valget av teknologi skal avgjøres politisk i fylket før sommeren, og kostnadsmessig så peker ikke pila i trolley-bussens favør.
http://www.aftenbladet.no/nyheter/p...ernativ-i-bussveien-3424010.html#.U30rOShAdOb [Norwegian | paywall]

The Fylkesting will make a decision on which propulsion system the busway will use shortly. I believe the main question at this point is whether to use trolleybuses with overhead wire or buses with onboard power such as diesel or CNG engines. A trolleybus solution is improbable due to costs.

I also found this presentation from earlier this year on the topic [Norwegian/Swedish]

In other news, there has been a proposal for water buses (well not really news, since this proposal was first published in the news several months ago). Since boats do not use roads, they will not be stuck in traffic, and will alleviate congestion. The article specifically mentions Gandsfjorden. I assume the west side of the peninsula would be to exposed to rough sea for this kind of traffic to be viable. But isn't there a railway or something along Gandsfjorden already? :jk:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For those who haven't read it yet, here is the report on the future of the railway in Rogaland, presented by Jernbaneverket in 2009, some months before the opening of the double track Stavanger-Sandnes. This is quite relevant these days, since plans for extension of the double track section are advancing. Different scenarios for extension of the double track southwards are considered in detail, including scheduling and service patterns, as well as practical and technical solutions. An additional reopening of the Ålgård line and construction of the Sola line, which branches off towards the airport, are discussed in less detail (specifically in chapter 6).

http://www.jernbaneverket.no/PageFiles/9469/Utviklingsplan Jærbanen.pdf?epslanguage=no [Norwegian]

Currently, county politicians generally agree that the upgrade of the main, Jæren line, is top priority; even though Ålgård politicians are pushing for the reopening of the Ålgård line.
The Sola line has largely fallen out of discussion the last couple of years. Personally I think the Sola line could have contributed a lot to bringing commuters from car to rail, especially if the proposal had been extended from the Airport to Risavigå/Tananger. This way, it would cover both of the major office clusters in town. Of course, this would in turn also increase demand for passenger service to peoples' homes, e.g. the Ålgård line.

·
Gl 581 g
568 Posts
Interesting read!

Thank you for your insightful contributions:cheers:

I'm personally an avid supporter for the Ålgård line, because of all the planned future development along its line.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad you guys liked it :) (and finally I'm not just talking to myself in this thread :tongue2:)

I also hope to see the Ålgård line operational some time in the future, although I'd go for the Sola line first if I had to choose (since I assume the Ålgård line would follow quite soon after).

By the way, I forgot to capitalize the city's name in the title (as per the forum guidelines) when I created the thread. Whose back do I have to scratch to have it corrected? :shifty:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
From 1st July, Norgesbuss (part of Torghatten) will take over operation of the bus network in the greater Stavanger area from Boreal. This is the single largest contract of this type in the country. At the same time, Kolumbus is making a series of adjustments to the route network.

https://www.kolumbus.no/aktuelt/vi-oppdaterer-rutetilbudet-pa-nord-jaren/

The most important change is that some lines are changed to utilize the busway for most of their run. The southern section of line 1 to Godeset will end at Forus instead and be combined with the western section of line 3 to Kvernavig, while the southern section of line 2 to Sandnes will be combined with current line 9 to Tananger on western section. The northern sections of the current lines 1 and 2 to Hundvåg and Tasta will be combined to the new line 1. The new line 2 will take over 24 hour operation from the current line 3.

Some lines will be removed, added or adjusted to account for the changes to the trunk lines, or for other reasons This includes the new line X31 that will provide residents at Godeset with a new link to central Stavanger when their current line is moved to Forus, the new line 42 which replaces the current line 9 between Tananger and Sandnes (the section of line 9 between Tananger and Stavanger will, as mentioned, be served by the new line 2), and the extension of line 6 from the university to Sandnes once again, which will also serve travelers between eastern parts of Lura and central Sandnes when the current line 3 is removed.

This map sums up the most important changes. I'll provide it as a link, since the image was ridiculously large, and this forum does not seem to have the ability to resize it:
https://www.kolumbus.no/globalasset...kart/byruter-nord-jaren-fra-sommeren-2016.jpg

A map of the current network can be found here for reference: https://www.kolumbus.no/globalassets/kart/holdeplass-og-linjekart/rutekar_dag_nordrogaland.pdf.pdf (the file is misnamed by Kolumbus, it is the map of Nord-Jæren, not Nord-Rogaland)

Some line numbers will be changed to create a more logical numbering scheme. Lines out of Stavanger will be in the 1-20 range, while routes out of Sandnes will start from 21. Not sure how they landed on 42 for the new Sandnes-Tananger service though (maybe someone in Kolumbus really liked The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?) Dalane lines 1, 2 and 3 out of Egersund will each have an 8 preceding them, bringing them into the 80-99 range like the rest of the network in the Dalane region. It does not look like anything similar is planned for the network in Northern Rogaland, which will continue to have its own numbering scheme starting from 1.

Kolumbus also introduced a new fare system from the start of 2016, which is significantly simpler than the old one, with a single zone for the entire urban area, and only 5 zones for Rogaland county in total (+ a special zone for Haugesund city). Reduced fares are always 50 % of full price, regardless of group (children, elderly, students etc.) and type of ticket (single, monthly etc.) A surcharge of 20 kr has been introduced when purchasing a ticket with cash from the driver, while the discount for use of Reisepenger has been removed. The base price for a single adult ticket within one zone is 33 kr from 2016, but covers a much larger area than before.

I think the past changes to the fare system and the proposed network changes look very promising, and should provide enhanced service for most people, even though changes will inevitably lead to worse service for a select few. People at eastern Lura will require a transfer to reach Stavanger, and together with people at Kvernavig they will lose night service (although most of Kvernavig is within shorter walking distance of the common route of future lines 2 and 3 (current 3 and 9) than Tananger, so this is arguably an enhancement of the service overall). Line 6 was cut short at the university a few years ago. The return of this direct link between Madlakrossen and Sandnes is a pleasant surprise, and arguably a necessity if you want people to use the bus between the western and southern part of the city, as central Stavanger is simply too far of a detour when taking your private car on the freeway is the alternative.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Fylkeskommunen skal utrede hurtiggående, skinnegående kollektivtransport på strekningen mellom Jærbanen, Ullandhaug og flyplassen

Det er samtlige partier i fylkestinget, med unntak av Høyre, som er blitt enige om fylkesbudsjettet for neste år og økonomiplanen for de tre neste år.

I pakken ligger tre millioner kroner til utredning av skinner til Ullandhaug og flyplassen på Sola. Hvor en slik bane skal møte Jærbanen er foreløpig høyst uklart og et av temaene utredningen må ta stilling til. Forus er et svært aktuelt tilknytningspunkt, men det er ennå for tidlig å utelukke andre koblinger nærmere Stavanger.

Det er helt sikkert at en slik bane blir svært kostbar, og at prislappen blir et sentralt spørsmål i en utredning. Det er også udiskutabelt at en slik eventuell bane skal komme i tillegg til Bussveien.

Anja Berggård Endresen (V) minnet om at utredning av bane til Ullandhaug alt så inne i samarbeidserklæringen mellom Ap, KrF, Sp og Venstre etter valget i fjor.

– Senere har sykehuslokaliseringen på Ullandhaug gjort Ullandhaug til et enda viktigere kollektivknutepunkt, sa hun.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Flertallet i fylkestinget går langt i retning av å skrote trolley som teknologivalg for Bussveien

– Det vises nok en gang til en rivende utvikling innen batteridrevne busser. Samferdselsministeren har tidligere sagt at staten ikke vil betale fordyrende ekstrakostnader. Han har ikke sagt master og ledninger direkte, men han har blitt tolket dithen. Ekstraregningen på trolleymaster og -ledninger er 700 millioner kroner.
Rogaland fylkeskommune vil nå ta en ledende posisjon i Norge for å sikre 0-utslipp fra busser innen 2025. Fylkestinget skal ta endelig stilling til teknologi i Bussveien etter at forhandlingene med staten er avsluttet.

Ungdomskortet blir 51 kroner billigere

Kolumbus mistet 9200 på ordningen med ungdomskort da priser ble økt til 350. Håpet er nå å hanke disse inn igjen som bussbrukere.

Den nye prisen blir 299.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Debatt-innlegg av Frian Årsnes fra ECON CONSULTING GROUP: http://www.aftenbladet.no/meninger/debatt/Den-mest-lonnsomme-banen-534815b.html

PS: jeg har ikke limt inn hele innlegget.

I en artikkel i går om at Rogaland Fylkeskommune har satt av midler til utredning av skinnegående alternativer mellom Jærbanen, Ullandhaug og flyplassen er det omtalt at «konsulentfirmaet ECON har tidligere omtalt en mulig sidebane fra Forus over Ullandhaug og ned igjen til Jærbanen ved Paradis som den mest lønnsomme banen det er mulig å bygge i Norge». Dette er bare delvis riktig, og ECON ønsker å presisere hva som skal til for at det faktisk skal være den mest lønnsomme banen.

Den strekningen som gir høyest potensial for trafikk, er en trasé som bryter ut fra eksisterende jernbanestrekning i Luravika (ikke Forus), for deretter å gå via Forus Vest og Ullandhaug videre til Sørmarka/Våland og gå inn på eksisterende bane igjen ved Paradis stasjon.
For at en bane skal bli lønnsom, handler det om flest mulig passasjerer holdt opp mot byggekostnad. For å oppnå dette må minimum tre kriterier oppfylles:

1. Banen må kunne hente maksimalt antall passasjerer. [...]
2. Banen må ha tilstrekkelig hastighet og frekvens på transportmiddelet. [...]
3. Banen bør tilfredsstille dagligbehovet for de reisende for å øke sannsynligheten for at de benytter transportmiddelet.[...]
Det alternativet som er skissert opp i Stavanger Aftenblad, viser et alternativ som i praksis kun betjener Stavanger, Ullandhaug og Forus Vest fra Stavanger-siden. Dette gjør til at man fjerner halvparten eller mer av trafikkpotensialet som kan betjene Forus Vest og Ullandhaug sørfra. Dersom folk skal bosette seg langs bybåndet sør, slik forutsatt i tidligere planer fra fylket og andre, vil det være ideelt å koble denne bosettingen til de områdene hvor folk faktisk arbeider eller vil arbeide i fremtiden.

Den løsningen med minst avvisning av trafikk, og dermed størst passasjergrunnlag og dermed størst lønnsomhet, er derfor å utvide dobbeltsporet Egersund–Sandnes med dobbeltspor Sandnes (Luravika)–Forus Vest–Ullandhaug–Stavanger (Paradis). Årsaken er at man både delvis gjenbruker eksisterende spor (Sandnes–Luravika og Paradis–Stavanger), samtidig som man ikke går så langt inn på eksisterende dobbeltspor at man forstyrrer hovedtrafikken på eksisterende dobbeltspor mellom Sandnes og Stavanger.

Trafikkgrunnlaget er av ECON beregnet til å være minimum like stort som eksisterende dobbeltspor Sandnes–Jåttåvågen–Stavanger, men sannsynligvis nesten dobbelt så stort, og voksende til 10 millioner passasjerer over tid etter hvert som folk bosettes nær jernbanen. Vi får håpe at utredningsoppdraget fra fylket ikke begrenses slik at dette trafikkgrunnlaget utelates i utredning av skinnegående transport til Ullandhaug og Forus Vest.
Vil det ikke hjelpe at man kobler til flyplassen på en slik skinnegående transport? Ikke nødvendigvis. Veldig mye av trafikkgrunnlaget til flyplassen er enten forretningsreisende til flyplassen om morgenen med retur ettermiddag/kveld eller reisende med mye bagasje eller med familie. Disse reisende kommer fra hele distriktet, og som oftest dreier det seg ikke om daglig reisebehov. Disse reisende vil derfor normalt velge dør-til-dør-løsninger, som for eksempel taxi eller egen bil. Dette skyldes reisetidspunkt (før kl. 07 om morgenen), antall reisende (familier), transportbehov (bagasje), geografi (bor ikke i nærheten av traseen) eller reisehyppighet (reiser så vidt sjelden at merkostnaden med en taxi blir uvesentlig i regnestykket).

·
Registered
288 Posts
Enda mer kollektivtransport-nyheter...

Endringer i bussrutene etter nyttår

Rute 1: Kjører mellom Stavanger og Hundvåg, og ikke til Tasta (rute 5 overtar strekningen Stavanger-Tasta). Rute 1 kjører annenhver gang vest og øst, som før omleggingen 1. juli. I tillegg får ruten døgndrift og kjører hele natten, hele uken.

Rute 2: Alle avgangstider endres med et par minutter.

Rute 5: Kjører mellom Tasta og Stavanger, i samme trasé som rute 1 har gjort fram til nå. Bussene kjører hele døgnet, syv dager i uken. På nattestid kjører bussen helt til Randaberg, og fra Osebergstien følger den samme trasé som rute N87 har gjort fram til nå. Noen avganger går et par minutter før eller senere enn det de har gjort fram til nå.

Rute 6: Avgangstidene fra Stavanger sentrum på søndager er endret fra kl. XX:03 og XX:33 til XX:56 og XX:26, slik at det blir likt som resten av uken.

Rute 8: Rute 8 endres ikke, men du som bor i Randaberg får nattilbud hele uken. Rute 5 går til Tasta på dagtid, men kjører helt til Randaberg sentrum om natten. Fra Osebergstien kjører rute 5 samme trasé som rute 8 gjør på dagtid.

Rute 11: Avgangene fra Hinna gravlund og Jåttåvågen går fem minutter senere enn tidligere.

Rute 16: Bussene går fem minutter senere enn før fra Madlasandnes, bortsett fra den gule avgangen kl. 07.14.

Rute 42: Avgangstidene endres med et par minutter. I tillegg kjører to nye avganger fra Sandnes til Stavanger lufthavn kl. 05.43 og 05.58.

Rute 45: Avgangen fra Breivik, som hittil har kjørt kl. 15.01, kjører nå kl. 14.56.

Rute X31: Ruten går fra spor 3 på Byterminalen, i stedet for fra holdeplass 10.

Rute X60: Rute X60 får døgndrift og kjører hele døgnet, hele uken. Avgangstidene endres med et par minutter.

N81: Ruten legges ned siden rute 1 kjører hele døgnet, hele uken.

N87: Rute N87 legges ned siden rute 5 kjører til Randaberg hele døgnet. I helgene kan de som skal til Dusavikveien, reise med rute N89.

N89: Rute N89 går via Dusavikveien én gang i timen, altså fire ganger natt til lørdag og fire ganger natt til søndag.
Kilde (Advarsel: Byas)

Viktigste endringer: ruten 1, 2, 5 og X60 får døgndrift.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts