Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
18,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A mixed use scheme has been proposed for the I Grunwerg site, including apartments, student flats and commercial space

planning app 18/02170/FUL

'Demolition of existing buildings, including retention of facade on Bailey Lane, and erection of multi-storey mixed use development incorporating flexible commercial uses at ground floor level (use classes A1, A2, A3, A4 and D1), 72 studio apartments, 39 x 1 bedroom apartments, 32 x 2 bedroom apartments and 87 student cluster apartments (providing 618 bedspaces) with associated facilities and landscaping'

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
^^ are Grunwerg's themselves moving to vacate this site? Or have they already moved or perhaps gone to the wall?
Last time I went past (admittedly probably two years ago) their works always looked well kept and modern compared to the usual 'old tin sheds' of the area, so I assumed it was a company doing well.

·
Registered
451 Posts
^^ are Grunwerg's themselves moving to vacate this site? Or have they already moved or perhaps gone to the wall?
Last time I went past (admittedly probably two years ago) their works always looked well kept and modern compared to the usual 'old tin sheds' of the area, so I assumed it was a company doing well.
Grunwerg's are still going and the site is still well kept.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Looks ok. Pretty similar to other developments in the area.

Speaking of which, wasn't there also mean to be redevelopment happening on the other side of Trippet Lane, by Trippets/behind the Job Centre? I think some visuals popped up on here a year or two ago.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Looks good - a big improvement on what's there already. I'm abit disappointed by the height of the tower - another sub 20 stories - could have been a chance to add another 7 plus stories in that location imo

·
Registered
366 Posts
They can whack another seven or eight floors on it for me, it's getting a bit boring to see so many new featureless midrise buildings. Additional height isn't a problem in this area.

I thought the council had earmarked this part of the city for ‘tall building development’.

I completely agree, get another few floors on it.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
A few initial observations about this development, mostly good, some bad.

Fantastic to see more sites & developments of this scale coming forward – confidence in Sheffield city centre’s housing market not letting up and still booming.

It is great to see another tower, however I am concerned that at this height it is yet another building between West Bar rbt and the Robert Hadfield Building which flattens out the skyline.

What a cavernous thoroughfare Rockingham Street is going to be now! I did mention on the Bailey Fields thread just the other day that I was concerned about the unbroken wall of +8 storey buildings along here and what that would do the street; this magnifies those worries 2-fold. Such scale is going to be very inhuman in Sheffield terms, and I worry that without sufficient pedestrian traffic and life at street level that a fairly deserted street is going to feel really dark and gloomy after this. Even the biggest residential developments still struggle to fill the surrounding streets with life, so I don’t think the mere addition of local residents will suffice. It needs some more secondary uses in the area.

Having said that, this does at least ape Bailey Fields by segmenting it’s street line with different styled blocks, breaking up the view and creating nice variation. That should help offset the issue above regarding the feel at street level, and it looks like a small bit of space opened up on Rockingham Street at the base of the tower?

Worth noting that as well as the tallest tower, the black block on the SW corner also looks to be +10 floors.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I've just been searching for a discussion that we had several years ago about the Grunwerg buildings on Rockingham Street and have drawn a blank. I think it might have been in relation to the University, but the UoS thread only started in 2015. I seem to remember Judd being involved too, but can't find a lot of his old posts.

Kyle, do you know if there have been purges on some of the old threads?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts

It is great to see another tower, however I am concerned that at this height it is yet another building between West Bar rbt and the Robert Hadfield Building which flattens out the skyline.

I don't understand why SCC came out with the Urban Design Compendium, one of which's key policies was to use building height to exaggerate, or at least mimic, the city centre's hilly topography, then continually seem to approve plans for buildings which are big at the bottom of the hill and short at the top - thus flattening the skyline as you say?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree with Gilly about the low building on Trippet Lane: it has seemed to me to be most unprepossessing ever since it was built, and it will be even more anachronistic when the site on the corner across Bailey Lane has been redeveloped.

NedStark: I can't find anything on the planning website about a proposal for the site behind the Job Centre, but there was a proposal for a site across Penton Street from Trippets (50 student apartments in a seven-storey block on the site of Birch Hall); it went ahead and was completed some months ago.

NewcastleOwl: I take it that you are referring to the Bailey Lane frontage; I noticed this too. The Urban Design Compendium is a whole other story (was there ever a thread on it?); in practice I have noticed that when a new taller building is built next to a lower older one, quite often the new building is stepped down in height next to the older one. I don't know why this is done. It doesn't make any sense when the adjoining site comes up for redevelopment. But what I have also noticed about this proposal is that the Bailey Lane frontage is a lot lower than the Rockingham Street one. Might this be to do with pre-application discussions and with planners' opinions about the scale on which the area between Bailey Lane and Townhead Street should be redeveloped? Most of this area is outside the City Centre conservation area anyway: only the sites near to Trippet Lane between Bailey Lane and Bells Square are within it.

eighty4 and See Word Na: I too would like to see larger flats to attract long-term residents. I also agree about the desirability of commercial uses at ground level. I was in Paris a couple of weeks ago, staying near the Gare de Lyon in an area of seven-storey nineteenth-century blocks consisting mainly of apartments above street-level commercial premises. I noticed three things: there was plenty of pedestrian traffic, even in streets that were less busy with vehicles; the visible population was very mixed in age, occupation, background etc; and localities had their own distinct character, depending on (or reflected in) their own particular mix of street-level commercial premises. Perhaps something equivalent could work in Sheffield.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts