Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the seattletimes realestate section on Sunday, June 10th, there was a picture of the Stewart and Minor project, showing an approx 40 story loft building with 18 foot ceilings. I have no idea how many floors that would be, but if somebody takes a look in the paper, they could probably scan and post it here.

http://www.stewartandminor.com/

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Are we sure we're not talking about 18 ft ceilings with 20 stories which would be the same size as a 40 storey building with 9' cielings? That would get them right about 400'.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I saw the rendering of Stewart & Minor on Seattle Times Newspaper last Satursday. It was really small and its hard to look at the details. It looks okay to me but I will hold my judgement until I see bigger rendering of it first.

·
Registered
493 Posts
In case anyone missed it - PSBJ added the full article to their site earlier today:

http://seattle.bizjournals.com/seattle/stories/2007/06/25/story4.html?b=1182744000^1479985

I have to say, the concept sounds a bit out there to me - surely unique. I just dont see that many people modifying their units later, but who knows... The high ceilings and windows are pretty cool of course. And based on the location, the units facing the city should have pretty nice panoramic views.

·
Journeyman
16,908 Posts
I sort of like the idea. One reason is the bedroom can be a long way from the windows, meaning it should be quiet. The negative is that guests mean you lose your privacy, because the loft would be open.

·
Journeyman
16,908 Posts
Right idea, but not quite. If they say late 2008, it means they're going for late 2008. But every project faces hurdles, some more than others.

We do have our share of projects that start when projected.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Well yea, I'm sure the developer does intend to start when they announce it to but how often does that happen? Maybe 15-20% of the projects?

·
Journeyman
16,908 Posts
Depends.

If you're talking about developers making vague projections 18 months out, for a building type where demand can fall easily or where presales/preleasing is required, then sure. We've had periods where little or nothing of a certain type gets built for a while.

But predictions get easier as construction approaches, especially when no presales/preleases are required. If a start date is announced a few months out, the developer still faces significant hurdles, but those dates are met within a few weeks a pretty large percentage of the time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts