SkyscraperCity banner

221 - 229 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
A bit of hyperbole, yes, but I do think it's a slippery slope from normalising privately owned or charter 'cities' to systemic economic exclusion of perceived 'undesirables'. America did it with the suburban office park and 'redlining'. We need to ask ourselves whether suburban, gated 'cities' are more or less inclusive than the status quo and whether they're environmentally/socially responsible forms of development. I don't see public transport integration in any plans for this 'city'.

The jab at Century City was just cause of the inauthentic feel of the place. Though, you're right, it has improved steadily over the years. Now, if only we could get a mixed income version on ysterplaat, authenticity would soon develop :)

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
Terrible urban design.. Well some people like it I guess. You basically have endless houses surrounding a giant shopping mall and a few offices. Where is the street life? Where is the culture? Where are the interesting people? Want to go anywhere - get in a car. This trend of gated communities and endless shopping malls is destroying urban life in SA.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
That must be what is fueling the rise of CT as such a nice place to live - actual urban high street living - with the likes of Woodstock, Muizenburg, Simons Town, Kalk Bay, Houtbay, Gordons Bay, Claremont, all having actual high streets with small shops, cafe's restaurants and malls besides

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
That must be what is fueling the rise of CT as such a nice place to live - actual urban high street living - with the likes of Woodstock, Muizenburg, Simons Town, Kalk Bay, Houtbay, Gordons Bay, Claremont, all having actual high streets with small shops, cafe's restaurants and malls besides
Hopefully the slow but ongoing revival of Joburg CBD changes this. It is much larger than the pretty tiny Cape Town CBD so there is potential for a "real" urban city a la NYC, Chicago etc.

·
South Straddie QLD
10,874 Posts
like the parks, Melville, green side etc in Joburg. all walkable, all quirky shops and safe suburbs. All cities have them juts like all cities have large suburban malls with a few offices and homes in the suburbs incl cape town too. Nothing unique here

221 - 229 of 229 Posts