Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ho hum
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As there's a Carbuncle Cup thread in here, I thought, given the preponderance of London buildings, that we should have a mirror thread for the Stirling Prize. I haven't seen an existing thread, and this might get a better response in here than in the Skybar, but it can be moved if a Mod thinks it appropriate.

The shortlist gets announced on July 17th, but the RIBA prize winning pool from which they'll be drawn is already known.

London projects in the race include Renzo's Shard, McAslan's Kings Cross Station, Zaha's Aquatic Centre, and the interesting LSE Student Centre.

Or can Wilkinson Eyre get their third Stirling Prize for Portsmouth's Mary Rose Museum?

A link to the RIBA page with the shortlist:

http://www.architecture.com/RIBA/Awards/Awardshomepage.aspx

Ok all - place your bets! :)

·
actual gherkin
13,931 Posts
It really ought to be the Aquatic Centre, but maybe because Hadid's won it recently the judges may favour another project. As for the Mary Rose museum, it's disappointing... visitors can't access the balcony!

·
Registered
16,736 Posts
I wouldn't call it disappointing, it has completely transformed that part of the dockyard without taking the limelight from HMS Victory. It was always going to be a difficult site, people want to see the Georgian Dockyard Buildings but at the same time, the MOD want their big fence to keep you away from them. Making an area hemmed in by great big fences and armed guards inviting was always a tall order.

What the site needs, is some GREENERY. Victory also looks so wrong with her masts down for repair.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts

·
Londinium langur
10,334 Posts
I voted for the Aquatic Centre. I also like the Shard and LSE student centre.

·
Registered
24,356 Posts
Deserving winner. Sometimes it's good to go beyond simple aesthetics.

The Aquatic Centre is amazing but is too flawed as a building. It just simply doesn't work well as a space. But it is so stunning and iconic that it deserves praise for what has been achieved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts