Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
25,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let's discuss the major development projects that will make the main aiport of Sweden even more attractive and competitive.

Arlanda by PezMico, on Flickr

This year Swedavia announced the expansion plans of Arlanda Airport (ARN) for the coming 30 years. The expansion project is split into two phases with the first stage of construction work starting in 2015. The expansion project includes:

2015-2021: The extension of Terminal 5 (T5) easterwords. The new G-pier will be designed specially to serve the very large planes.

2021-2043: Two new piers from Terminal 2 (T2). One pier will replace Termnial 3 while the regional aircrafts will be served in Termninal 4 (T4). A second pier will be built east of Terminal 2 (T2). This will be a massive expansion of the terminal.

Fully implemented, the development plan includes SEK 13 billion in capital spending. More information will be published later.

swedavia.com

svd.se

svd.se

svd.se

More information: http://www.swedavia.com/arlanda/abo...ws/historical-investment-at-stockholm-arlanda, http://www.svd.se/nyheter/inrikes/har-ar-skisserna-pa-nya-arlanda_8899264.svd.

·
Registered
25,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Arlanda Airport City

From Swedavia:

The new Airport City Stockholm

Airport City Stockholm is a development project managed jointly by Swedavia, the Municipality of Sigtuna and Arlandastad Holding. The site covers about 800 hectares. Together the three partners have set out a vision to lead the Airport City development.
The Stockholm region is growing, and so too is commerce. More and more businesses need new areas to set up operations in. At the same time, there is a desire to concentrate operations in well-developed corporate parks with good services and access.
Swedavia, the Municipality of Sigtuna and Arlandastad Holding have together set out a vision: create a modern airport city with a vibrant city centre and attractive workplaces, in a location that offers exceptional access to the region, Sweden and the world.
A joint strategy has also been devised for building Airport City, a clear indication of the three partners’ shared drive and a tool for quickly achieving this vision.

Perfect location with nearby access to the rest of the world

It is hard to beat the location of Airport City Stockholm: adjacent to the largest airport in Sweden, between Stockholm and Uppsala, the growing city offers nearby access to railways, roads, air travel and the rest of the world. Some 20,000 people already work here, 200 companies have set up operations at the airport and over 19 million travellers passed through the area in 2012.
The objective of the new development is to be sustainable, commercial, nearby, urban and environmentally sound, which makes Airport City Stockholm the only urban development project of its kind in the world.

Airport City districts

Airport City will consist of six districts, each with its own special purpose. The first office complex to be built in the city centre is SkyCity Office One.

1. SkyCity: the city centre, which will give people a sense that they are already in the Stockholm city centre
2. Park City: airport entrance, a green park linking the area with other parts of Airport City
3. DriveLAB Stockholm: knowledge cluster for developing the automotive industry of the future
4. Märsta Business Park: established corporate park with good services which is closely integrated with the town of Märsta.
5. Cargo City – Cargo and logistics at the airport: located adjacent to the airport with a focus on cargo and logistics.
6. Logistic Center – Rosersberg Logistik along Route E4: logistics hub with warehouses and extensive parking and transport areas.

·
Registered
25,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good thread! Are they re-doing any of the interiors?
Thank you. It was about time to have such thread. :)

Terminal 2 was rennovated one year ago. The interior was changed and the facilities were modernised there. You can read more information and see some pictures of the terminal with the new design here and here.

·
Registered
25,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vision: Fairs and Congress Centre

Ny mässa i Arlandastad
Sigtuna

Ett förslag på en ny mässa i Arlandastad med etablering av en egen järnvägsstation i anslutning till Stockholm Arlanda Airport. Läs pressmeddelandet nedan.

Arlandastad Holding:

Stockholmsregionen har Europas starkaste tillväxt och rankas i internationella sammanhang som en av världens attraktivaste städer. Det skapar förutsättningar för Stockholmsmässan att ta steget från att vara Nordens ledande mötesplats till att bli en internationell aktör i ännu högre utsträckning. En internationell satsning kräver expansionsutrymme och effektiva kommunikationer. En etablering med en egen järnvägsstation i anslutning till Stockholm Arlanda Airport skapar dessa förutsättningar.

- Om Mässan i Älvsjö skulle ha planerats idag så hade den likt andra stora mässor runt om i världen placerats vid den internationella flygplatsen. Ett bra exempel är Hong Kong som rankas som världens bästa flygplats där den internationella mässan, Asia World Expo är en integrerad del av flygplatsen.

- Även om jag tror det finns förutsättningar och mycket goda skäl som talar för att en internationell mässa vid Arlanda skulle kunna stå på egna ben så skulle ett samgående med Stockholmsmässan ge en flygande start. Dessutom ser jag ett mycket närmare samarbete med Uppsala som med sitt prestigefyllda universitet och sitt dynamiska näringsliv har alla möjligheter att både bidra och dra fördelar av satsningen. Fler internationella event i regionen skulle även medföra fler direktlinjer med flyg ut i världen vilket ökar regionens konkurrenskraft

- I anslutning till mässan bör en permanent utställning skapas med inspiration från de svenska paviljongerna i samband med världsutställningarna. Här ska skandinavisk industri, forskning, turism, musik, design och liknande visa upp sig på ett spännande och spektakulärt sätt. Ett skyltfönster mot världen och ett givet besöksmål för utländska besök i Skandinavien. Något som idag inte finns, berättar Per Taube.

- Mitt förslag och den detaljplan som nu finns innebär att en ny järnvägsstation placeras mitt i mässan med möjliga förbindelser med både pendeltåg, fjärrtåg och Arlanda Express. Detta läge blir därmed unikt för att bygga vidare på Stockholmsregionen som en internationell destination, avslutar Per Taube.

·
Premium Member
19,317 Posts
What would happen to Alvsjö? They speak of where it would have been built in this day and age, however, what they negate to mention is how setting up direct competition to stockholmsmässan will affect the city. Having a conference centre out near the airport doesn't necessarily benefit the city much in terms of indirect spending from conference guests. If it is more conveniently located then at least this is an option. Alvsjö is a short ride away from the city centre, much shorter than this proposed site and so city centre accommodation for Alvsjö is more tenable. This would just be an island effectively where people visit and leave without adding much to the city.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
422 Posts
What would happen to Alvsjö? They speak of where it would have been built in this day and age, however, what they negate to mention is how setting up direct competition to stockholmsmässan will affect the city. Having a conference centre out near the airport doesn't necessarily benefit the city much in terms of indirect spending from conference guests. If it is more conveniently located then at least this is an option. Alvsjö is a short ride away from the city centre, much shorter than this proposed site and so city centre accommodation for Alvsjö is more tenable. This would just be an island effectively where people visit and leave without adding much to the city.

Just a thought.
Wasn't Kistamässan built to be close to both Kista (of course) and the airport? If it was such a good idea to build a fair at the airport, they should have built Kistamässan there instead. Three fairs is a bit much for Stockholm maybe?

·
Premium Member
19,317 Posts
Wasn't Kistamässan built to be close to both Kista (of course) and the airport? If it was such a good idea to build a fair at the airport, they should have built Kistamässan there instead. Three fairs is a bit much for Stockholm maybe?
I forgot about that too - though Kista nice for Airport travel compared to Alvsjö, which now has a direct train link to Arlanda as well. You can walk there from Helenelund station, but it's not particularly nice to be funnelled under a motorway on a very, very lonely road. I think even the cities that are greatest fans of trade fairs (like German cities) draw the line at two mässan.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I forgot about that too - though Kista nice for Airport travel compared to Alvsjö, which now has a direct train link to Arlanda as well. You can walk there from Helenelund station, but it's not particularly nice to be funnelled under a motorway on a very, very lonely road. I think even the cities that are greatest fans of trade fairs (like German cities) draw the line at two mässan.
No, the location of Kistamässan doesn't make a huge amount of sense in a way. Especially not since I have several times been approached in Kista galleria or at the metro platform by people who ask how they can get to the fair. Of course, they should have taken the train to Helenelund instead, but many people don't seem to realise. I don't know if there are any airport coaches from Kista nowadays? There were before, but I'm not sure now. I guess taxi companies are happy at least.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Swedavia överklagar Arlandas miljötillstånd

Swedavia som driver Arlanda har överklagat flera av villkoren i det nya miljötillståndet som ska gälla från 2018. Swedavia anser att det begränsar flygplatsens utvecklingsmöjligheter.

Villkoren i det nya miljötillståndet innebär bland annat att Swedavia måste göra mer för att åtgärda buller. Även motparter som bland andra Naturvårdsverket och flera kommuner har överklagat, rapporterar P4 Radio Uppland.

Idag tas frågan upp i Mark-och miljööverdomstolen. Domen väntas senare i höst.
http://www.svt.se/nyheter/regionalt/abc/arlandas-framtid-upp-i-ratten

·
Registered
736 Posts
13 miljarder kronor ska lyfta Arlanda

1. Om- och tillbyggnad av terminal 5 för snabbare säkerhetskontroller och effektivare bagagehantering – med nya kommersiella ytor – startas inom något eller några år.
  2. Ny pir och ny ramp för utrikeslinjer vid terminal 5 – bygget startar redan i vår.
  3. Nytt driftområde med flygplansuppställning och flygplansservice – klart senast 2023
  4. Nya parkeringshus och parkeringsdäck – förberedelser för bygget har startat.
  5. Nya pirer till terminal 2 för utrikesflyg – byggs i etapper efter 2023.
  6. Närmast Sky city planeras Office one – bland annat arbetsplatser och konferensanläggningar tänkta för multinationella företag. Byggstart för de första byggnaderna inom något eller några år.
http://www.dn.se/sthlm/13-miljarder-kronor-ska-lyfta-arlanda/

·
Registered
736 Posts
SkyCity Office One

Posting info about the new office building that is supposed to be built next to Arlanda SkyCity, that might have been posted elsewhere...

Sources: 1, 2

SkyCity Office One is the first office complex in the business district now being planned in SkyCity, within walking distance of the aircraft and the rest of the world.
Source

The actual structure will be divided into several closely connected buildings. The entire complex will have a total area of 20,000 square metres. The highest structure will be up to 12 storeys high and the glass facades will of a stringent, yet impressive design.

Source

·
Registered
736 Posts
Arlanda miljardsatsar

Same story, different source:

ABC: Är det här en satsning som innebär att Arlanda på sikt, ska kunna ta emot även Brommas resenärer?
– Det har ingenting med det att göra. Det här handlar om att uppdatera Arlanda som en internationell storflygplats. De här investeringarna måste göras om Sverige och Stockholm ska hänga med i konkurrensen, säger näringsminister Mikael Damberg (S).
Kjell-Åke Westin kan inte se att Brommas resenärer ska rymmas på Arlanda.
– Där vill jag verkligen vara tydlig. Vi har fullt idag i pik. [sic] Både Bromma och vi är en pikflygplats. [sic] Flytta Bromma till Arlanda det går inte att göra så som det ser ut under en lång tid framöver.
The planned expansion is unrelated to the debate about shutting down Bromma Airport.

·
forumer #29
4,913 Posts
They claim so. Increase capacity at Arlanda does give better options for moving Brommas passengers there. Not the flights, the passengers. Consolidate the flights that are duplications and weäd get better used-seats ratios too. Less of a market for having many airlines, yes, but enough space for the passengers.

·
forumer #29
4,913 Posts
That said...
I like that ARN is getting som more long-term plans,. IMO not long-term enough. There ought to be a plan for a better terminal layout (based on the newer parts) and a plan for a east-west rail connection (either for Roslagsbanan or for a Yttre Tvärbanan Norr) that would also connect to Märsta and Sigtuna.

Reactions: tonbenron

·
Registered
736 Posts
I was also curious about this, so I looked into it, and extending the Roslagsbanan commuter rail north of Vallentuna to Arlanda (and possibly to Märsta) is in the very long term planning. Stockholm county started looking at this in 2010, and did a feasibility study on it in 2012.

They looked at 15 different routes, and a number of different site plans at Arlanda, with the rail connecting either from the south or east.

At the time, the most feasible set-up was an above ground rail solution at Arlanda, with a stop at SkyCity and maybe an additional stop in the south at "Benstocken" and a possible extension to Märsta.

Above ground rail at Arlanda, east and south

A more detailed map

Extension to Märsta

Not sure how well that works with the current plan by Swedavia, but I suppose they could still go with a tunnel. I think they are still studying the issue. However, nothing of this was determined "economically viable" prior to 2030, so no matter what this is still very far away.

Tunnels, east and south

·
forumer #29
4,913 Posts
Thanks for digging up all that info and the maps, tonberon!

Do you think this project will affect Märsta? How?

I just moved to Märsta and I'm living pretty close to the Pendeltåg station. I can see Arlanda from my balcony.
In the short term: not really.
In the medium term: more jobs nearby anda few more flights maybe.
In the long term: Like tonberon posted Märsta might get a rail connection to Vallentuna/Täby/Universitetet/StockholmÖstra. I sure hope so.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.