SkyscraperCity banner

541 - 560 of 602 Posts

·
Registered
14,521 Posts
They are building a temporary protecting tent over it now, seems like it's delayed for 2 months because of SARS-CoV-2.

Inside the bridge:
http://instagr.am/p/B-rMBzvgQlS/

·
Registered
13,662 Posts
Is the inside already showing the final colour or will that still change?

·
forumer #29
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #543
As I understand it, it will change. The walls and ceiling will mostly just get a coat of paint and lamps installed iirc. But the floor will of course get more work :D

I understand the delay. Both the pandemic and the delayed delivery have real impacts on the works being done. I do like quite a lot how the bridge and it's connections will be a more finished product by the time it opens that was the plan for the earlier date.

Reactions: dj4life

·
Registered
13,662 Posts
I think the bridge will be an incredible improvement for the neighbourhood and skyline. Old Slussen was a sprawling concrete monster turning the heart of the city into somethign that felt like the neglected wasteland below a highway hub, especially Slussen itself.

Even though the new bridge is anything but fragile or slim, it is still so much less intrusive and looks more like an urban bridge again instead of a highway hub. The area below is turned into a visible and attractive location capable of becoming an urban space, a destination, again. Which is wonderful given what an important and defining location it is also from a municipal history view.

·
forumer #29
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #546
A recent vid about the bridge:

·
Registered
13,662 Posts
^^ Ok, it's an add but still very informative nontheless and great views as well.

Reactions: b-at-at and Swede

·
forumer #29
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #548
^^ Ok, it's an add but still very informative nontheless and great views as well.
Yeah, and the add was so niche in scope I could barely explain what they're trying to sell :D

I haven't been to Slussen sine early february. Keep looking at the webcam tho. Looking forward to the new bridge opening. And almost more than that to the old western bridge being torn down! When that happens the old Slussen will really be gone, and it will open up the water surface finally. It will be awesome, and it will help make many of those who still doubt the plan realise it will end up being better than before.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Finns det några gällande planer för stadsgårdskajen? Otroligt hur så central mark inte används till något vettigare/trevligare än motorväg och färjeterminal. Varför inte flytta färjorna till värtan när nya hamnen är klar i Nynäshamn samt gräva ner biltrafiken? Därefter skulle nya Sofia station få en uppgång på Stadsgårdskajen, där man möts av kvartersgator och mysiga restauranger längs med kajenkanten.

·
Australian EU in London!
872 Posts
Like most people on here, I’m watching the webcam everyday - it’s like watching paint dry sometimes, and yet other times you can actually see the progress that has been made.

I do have a question though - I just want to get it clear in my head what the project sequencing will be from this point:

• Guldbron will open in October, thus allowing the old western bridge to be finally demolished with traffic rerouted;
  • New bus terminal opens in a couple of years, allowing the space of the temporary terminal to be cleared and the Stadsgårdleden traffic to be diverted through the “tunnels” underneath the southern Guldbron approach;
  • Katarinaparken gets built on top of the cleared temporary bus terminal space and rerouted Stadsgårdleden.
Let me know if I have missed any steps along the way.

·
forumer #29
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #552
I don't think that sequence misses any steps needed to understand those bits of the plans, no. But! I'd say other major steps include the opening of the seaway through Slussen and the opening of the quay-level pedestrian & bike bridges. The brand new bike bridge from the upper level near Götgatan to Gamla Stan near that subway station, that bridge is still not decided how it will be built, so that might take a few more years, sadly. I think they're realizing how many bad points the design has for actual everyday use by a mix of bike commuters & tourists.
The Bus terminal will open in 2023 according the the project website, so spring 2024 maybe ? ;)

One step I'm interested in and that I've seen no info about whatsoever is how the walkways to the temporary bus terminal will be once Katarinavägen & the Golden/Corona bridge open. Depending on the constraints given by the construction works they might be able to open one or two new very short passages that would make the connections far better and less congested.

·
Australian EU in London!
872 Posts
Ah yes that’s one thing I’ve also wondered about. What remaining works are there to structurally complete the new lock basin and canal, apart from the western bridge demolition obviously?

·
forumer #29
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #554
As I understand it, quite a lot remains to be done. But it's all getting close to getting built. Parts for the flood gates in the side channels are on site iirc. There are pictures in the projects Instagram account. Def worth a follow.

There's no good video showing step by step what's going to be done, or where they're at right now. The closest I could find is this:

Reactions: OzFrog

·
Registered
543 Posts
One step I'm interested in and that I've seen no info about whatsoever is how the walkways to the temporary bus terminal will be once Katarinavägen & the Golden/Corona bridge open. Depending on the constraints given by the construction works they might be able to open one or two new very short passages that would make the connections far better and less congested.
It's going to be an ordinary pedestrian crossing from Ryssgården. I posted this a few pages ago, although the opening date has of course been moved by two months in the meantime:

Katarinavägen should open in August, with only city buses allowed until the bus terminal is complete. The rest of the traffic solution on Södermalm is also partly temporary:

·
Registered
543 Posts
I assume it's the temporary stop for some of the less important bus routes on Katarinavägen, which will later move slightly closer to Ryssgården once the rock terminal is complete and the southern side of the street isn't blocked anymore.

·
forumer #29
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #558
It's going to be an ordinary pedestrian crossing from Ryssgården. I posted this a few pages ago, although the opening date has of course been moved by two months in the meantime:
I was thinking the stairs from the inbound side of the bus terminal will be just a very few meters from the new street level and so might be a good place for another exit to relive pressure on the existing longer passage to get from there to the entrance. Since it's the stairs and thus not yet high enough, and not enough space with possible places to put supports, that the geometry might simply not work out for a northern exit/entrance there. "There" being just north of Katarinahissen, on webcam 2 you can already see how very close it gets there.

Why a second stop so close?
I assume it's the temporary stop for some of the less important bus routes on Katarinavägen, which will later move slightly closer to Ryssgården once the rock terminal is complete and the southern side of the street isn't blocked anymore.
According to the the project website:
Vid arbetena med nya busshållplatser på Katarinavägen kommer arbetsområdet att utökas och från 20 maj kommer cyklister att behöva leda cykeln en kort sträcka. Detta gäller som längst till 8 juni men förmodligen blir arbetena klara tidigare.
Nu bygger vi busshållplatser som kommer att börja användas i samband med att huvudbron börjar användas och Katarinavägen öppnar för bussar igen den 26 oktober. De norrgående bussarna kommer att stanna i höjd med Katarinavägen 11. Vid bygget av denna hållplats behöver delar av vägen att stängas av och det innebär mindre yta för gående och cyklister.
Arbetena beräknas pågå som längst till 8 juni och under denna period kommer cyklister att uppmanas kliva av cykeln och leda den en kort sträcka.
i.e. looks like it might be temporary bus stops, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

·
forumer #29
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #559
Today theyäre doing a big concrete pour at the southern end of the Bridge. Looks like it might be the last big pour for a good while, when it is done everything needed for connecting the Bridge to Katarinavägen & Hornsgatan will be poured (plenty of work getting everything above the concrete up to the actual street surface ready tho).

I was thinking the stairs from the inbound side of the bus terminal will be just a very few meters from the new street level and so might be a good place for another exit to relive pressure on the existing longer passage to get from there to the entrance. Since it's the stairs and thus not yet high enough, and not enough space with possible places to put supports, that the geometry might simply not work out for a northern exit/entrance there. "There" being just north of Katarinahissen, on webcam 2 you can already see how very close it gets there.
I sent an email to the project asking if they have thought of this idea, and if it would be possible to do it.

According to the the project website:
i.e. looks like it might be temporary bus stops, but I'm not 100% sure about that.
I forgot to ask about this, tho :(

·
forumer #29
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #560
Third post in a row, and not really anything huge but! Looking at that map C30 quoted 5 posts ago I see a couple of things I had not noticed before!

On the main bridge, on the eastern side there will only be one car lane, and two bus lanes. On the western side there'll be one car lane, one bus lane, and an extra wide bike lane leading to/from Munkbroleden. I get the feeling that they're testing to see if they can keep this bridge at 1+1 car lane just like it has been for a few years now, while also giving more space to buses and bikes. It's supposed to last til 2023 at least, but if it works... I'm thinking it won't be changed.

Reactions: Slartibartfas
541 - 560 of 602 Posts