SkyscraperCity banner

581 - 600 of 602 Posts

·
forumer #29
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #581
Drainage is essential, yes. Fail that and the whole thing will need rebuilding pretty soon.
Haven't seen any drainage work on/under the sidewalks of the main bridge, no. Maybe

Looks like we will finally get rid of that hole left by the crane soon, they are adding the water proof membrane to be able to put on Styrofoam in the hole now.
Look to me like most of the styrofoam is in place now (4-5 hours later).

Reactions: loefet

·
Registered
543 Posts
There are several drains along the curbstones separating the cycle paths from the roadways, toward which the bridge's surfaces slope. Two are visible in this photo by the city:

·
Australian EU in London!
872 Posts
Apparently there was some more concrete pouring in the redundancy basin overnight!

·
Australian EU in London!
872 Posts
The first section of the new canal is in place. So from hereon in, where are the other two parts being built and how will they get put into place? Obviously access is now rather limited from the east side.
Something just occurred to me regarding this. We know that the second section is being constructed in-place and the third section out at Värtahamnen like the first one was, but how was the third section being towed in?

The recent bridge replacements for Getingmidjan came in via Södertälje from Tallinn. Could the third section be coming in the same way, ie. out from Värtahamnen into the Baltic Sea and then back around via Södertälje? Would the sections be small enough to fit under Getingmidjan and the T-bana bridge?

·
forumer #29
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #587 (Edited)
The section would be small enough for that, yes - as I understand it. Worth asking the project via their instagram account...

EDIT: which I have now done.

Reactions: OzFrog

·
Australian EU in London!
872 Posts
Looks like there’s yet another concrete pour in progress in the redundancy basin. I wonder what it’s looking like at the moment...

·
forumer #29
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #589
The section would be small enough for that, yes - as I understand it. Worth asking the project via their instagram account...

EDIT: which I have now done.
I got a reply this morning:
"Mittendelen av kanalen byggs på plats. Den innersta delen som vetter mot Mälaren byggs just nu i Värtan, transporteras via Hammarbyslussen in till Mälaren och sedan in till Slussen."
in english:
the mid part will be constructed on site. The inner part the faces Mälaren [i.e. the western, upstream part] is currently being built in Värtan [one of Stockholm's nearby harbour areas] and will then be transported through the Hammarby sluice and then in to Slussen [i.e. it'll go around Södermalm].

My thought on this: I'm guessing the section was very much intentionally designed to be able to fit through Hammarbyslussen.

Also: 59 days til the new bridge opens.

·
Australian EU in London!
872 Posts
"Mittendelen av kanalen byggs på plats. Den innersta delen som vetter mot Mälaren byggs just nu i Värtan, transporteras via Hammarbyslussen in till Mälaren och sedan in till Slussen."
in english:
the mid part will be constructed on site. The inner part the faces Mälaren [i.e. the western, upstream part] is currently being built in Värtan [one of Stockholm's nearby harbour areas] and will then be transported through the Hammarby sluice and then in to Slussen [i.e. it'll go around Södermalm].

My thought on this: I'm guessing the section was very much intentionally designed to be able to fit through Hammarbyslussen.

Also: 59 days til the new bridge opens.
Oh I completely forgot you could get there via Hammerby. Thanks for following up Swede!

Reactions: Swede

·
Registered
543 Posts
in english:

I still don't understand how the transport will take place unless the final section is built in two halves (which would in turn mean that they really wouldn't float at all). The width of a section is 24 metres and the widest span of Söderströmsbron is 21,2 metres (of which at least a metre definitely isn't usable). The width of Hammarbyslussen's channel is 17, 4 metres, although there it would be possible to raise the section above quay level with a barge akin to the transport of parts of Citybanan through Södertälje.

I guess we'll see soon enough.

·
forumer #29
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #592
I sent another email to the project ([email protected]), and got a reply now:

The first bridge at quay level (the one nearest to the golden bridge) is planned to open during summer 2021.
So, still a long time til we get access to that area. It will be the first time since the 1920s the public has had access to bridges at that level, so I guess one more year isn't that bad a wait. Hopefully the pandemic will be over by then. And since there's already a crosswalk from the arrivals part of the temporary bus terminal to the east-west pathway along the quays, opening a bridge at that level will mean you can go from an arriving bus to the Old Town far more directly and without having to go up all those stairs.
Info I couldn't find in this thread, related to above quote:
Facebook Groups
Hade frågat via mejl jag med, fick nyss svar:
"Hej,
Ja, nu finns det en lösning för cykeltrafiken den sträckan.
Man kommer som cyklist att ta sig genom slitsen på bron för att ta sig mellan Skeppsbron/Stadsgårdsleden.
Det kommer att byggas en ramp upp från Stadsgårdsleden till bron. Sen är det signalreglerat vid Skeppsbron.
(...)
Kommunikatör
Projekt Slussen, Exploateringskontoret"

·
Australian EU in London!
872 Posts
It’s starting to look like an actual intersection now on the webcams, with just under two moths to go until official opening. One thing I am curious about though is when they will start building the ramp from Stadsgårdsleden up to the on/off ramp in the middle of Guldbron. Wouldn’t that be required before they can commence building the quayfront paths?

·
Australian EU in London!
872 Posts
Yet another concrete pour occurring this evening (as we speak) in the redundancy basin. They are really going full steam ahead! I wonder when it will commence for the second part of the main channel?

EDIT: and here’s Andrew Hadley’s post on LinkedIn about that concrete pouring, along with some interesting facts about the basin itself...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yet another concrete pour occurring this evening (as we speak) in the redundancy basin. They are really going full steam ahead! I wonder when it will commence for the second part of the main channel?

EDIT: and here’s Andrew Hadley’s post on LinkedIn about that concrete pouring, along with some interesting facts about the basin itself...

Interesting! In the text you're quoting, this Andrew Hadley guy mentions "cooling the concrete" with "cooling pipes". Do you or anyone else know why you would want to do this?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Interesting! In the text you're quoting, this Andrew Hadley guy mentions "cooling the concrete" with "cooling pipes". Do you or anyone else know why you would want to do this?
Concrete heats up during the curing process, and the larger the pour, the more pronounced the effect is. When it comes to very large pours, temperatures can rise quickly, causing cracks and reduced strength due to uneven shrinkage and the evaporation of water from the outer layer; which is why you usually need a cooling solution in those cases to keep the whole pour at a constant moderate temperature for a week or so.

·
forumer #29
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #597
It’s starting to look like an actual intersection now on the webcams, with just under two moths to go until official opening. One thing I am curious about though is when they will start building the ramp from Stadsgårdsleden up to the on/off ramp in the middle of Guldbron. Wouldn’t that be required before they can commence building the quayfront paths?
Do you mean the connection for cars? That won't start really until the bus terminal moves into its permanent location in the new cave. The temporary bus terminal is quite simply in the way, it is where the final location for the west end of Stadsgårdsleden will be. This will not delay all the quay works tho as the current location of the road is on what will still be land. The quay you can see in webcam 3 is mostly the final quay, so there's space for walking and cycling between the temporary road and the water.
Don't know how they plan to connect the cycle lanes to the mid-bridge ramp though, and that will have to be done before the old Western bridge closes! Otherwise people cycling along the quay won't be able to get to the Old Town!
West of the new bridge? I do not know. I really don't know.

Reactions: OzFrog

·
forumer #29
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #598
Vid from the City about the construction, transport and placement of the eastern part of the sluice.
Swedish subtitles only, I'm afraid.

Reactions: DJaCoNdA and Lugn

·
forumer #29
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #600
Reactions: Cool_John753
581 - 600 of 602 Posts