SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Grof
407 Posts
I think that entire neighbourhood, including the houses to the north of this development, is already known as stockyards. And I agree, I'd choose a different moniker.

Now, forgetting about the name for a second, this is how big box development should be done in the city, if it is to be done. It's a shame that the neighbouring blocks were not planned in the same fashion [maybe future redevelopment]. It's not an architectural marvel but it's not the cheapest possible design. The scale is OK for the neighbourhood, cars are tucked in, it meets the street and the whole development fronts public transit. Not a bad project overall.

·
Blue Collar Bigwig
1,905 Posts
I agree. It definately gives a more urban feeling than the SmartCentres popping up like weeds in the fringes and the 905.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
I suppose if people must have their box stores this is a better way to do it. What is up with that epic music for such a hum drum animation.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
This site is a blank slate and this is the best the developer could come up with?!? What about people? Mixed use? Density? Sustainable development???

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
10,265 Posts
I live 5 minutes from this new shopping centre. I think it's great, especially since there is a Winners and a Target there. The food choices are also decent.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
They are going to call it "Stockyards"??? As in slaughterhouse? Who'd want to live in a stockyard?
Yes, I know this reply is a few years old, but I guess I didn't notice it the first time around. There's the Meatpacking District in NYC. Carleton Village is the name for the residential on the other side (east) of the railway tracks didn't really catch on. Possibly the confusion with Carlton St. (without the E)downtown?

·
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґ&#4
5,767 Posts
An ever-so slight step up from a typical big box retail centre. Still firmly within the realm of terrible.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
They could have made a lot more money and created a better neighbourhood by building rental apartments or even condos above the stores. They would have added density to the area, as well as provided more customers for the retail portion. I can't believe that developers miss this quite obvious opportunity.

Toronto desperately needs more rental apartments.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
They could have made a lot more money and created a better neighbourhood by building rental apartments or even condos above the stores. They would have added density to the area, as well as provided more customers for the retail portion. I can't believe that developers miss this quite obvious opportunity.

Toronto desperately needs more rental apartments.
I agree. It's literally in the back corner of Frances Nunziata's ward and probably escaped her notice. Cesar Palacio on the other side of the tracks probably had more to do with the project at the requests of his constituents who don't want the extra traffic. I can just imagine what those NIMBYs would do if residences were going to be incorporated into the project!

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
^^ Everybody wants subways but nobody wants the added density, needed to support that subway. (or the added taxes) This area could use the density. It has a streetcar, so it can deal with more density but you are probably right, locals might not like it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts