Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Name: StoneGate Flats
City/Country: Lagos/Nigeria
Floors:Unknown
Use: Leisure

Information
StoneGate Flats is a modern condominium comprising of 1, 2 and 3 bedroom apartments in multiple tower blocks, street level retail functions and ultra luxurious penthouse suites in the quiet and central Lekki scheme 1estate, in Lagos, Nigeria.
Our Location means that you can access the city whenever you need, but you are also far enough away to enjoy your peace and quiet. With easy access to Victoria Island, it means that whether it’s the buzz and excitement of city life that you crave or the serenity and peace of your own space, StoneGate Flats makes the choice available to you. It’s all right at your doorstep.

With StoneGate Flats, you are never far away from-
Malls- The Palms, Silverbird Galleria, City Malls
Cultural Entertainment- The Civic Center, Muson Center;
A wide variety of restaurants, bars and night spots;
All of the Central Business Districts of and Commercial centers of Lagos and Victoria Island.

Additional Information
Luxury Living – Sleek sophisticated lobby spaces and hotel-inspired atmosphere, concierge desks and reception rooms. The Very Lap of luxury awaits you at StoneGates Flats.
Imagine your own luxury apartment with shops, gyms, restaurants coffee and sport bars; all the usual modern conveniences of urban life right at your doorstep.
Enjoy close proximity to Health clubs, outdoor cafes and ultra modern banking services. Whatever you desire, living at StoneGate means that you have all you need literally steps away from home.

Renders
The Set of Towers

The Lounge/Entertainment Center

Floor Plans

·
Registered
40,879 Posts
Tbite, thanks for uploading those projects for us. We all appreciate your work very much!

StoneGate Flats are truly nice but Lagos needs more and higher than those! I wish to see a Lagos in a decade that is plastered with (glitzy) office towers, more top-end hotels, shopping malls, more nice residential areas and some public parks or entertainment strips! It is high time!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Tbite, thanks for uploading those projects for us. We all appreciate your work very much!

StoneGate Flats are truly nice but Lagos needs more and higher than those! I wish to see a Lagos in a decade that is plastered with (glitzy) office towers, more top-end hotels, shopping malls, more nice residential areas and some public parks or entertainment strips! It is high time!

that's the truth.

·
Registered
388 Posts

hey matthias, would you by any chance happen to know the cost of a nice apartment (such as the ones shown in this thread?) in lagos/victoria island?

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You won't find much developments like the ones which i posted in the Lagos Island CBD, due tot he fact that the area is more of a commericial district than residential. Concerning the skyline and the overall heights of these buildings, I think the standards are been set, so I guess those standards can be elevated in the near future:)

·
Registered
519 Posts
hey matthias, would you by any chance happen to know the cost of a nice apartment (such as the ones shown in this thread?) in lagos/victoria island?
Some of Mathias' quoted high-end projects in the said locations (VI and Ikoyi) do not come cheap at all - trust me! I once laid my eyes on a 3-bedroom flat at one of the fancier tower developments, I recall it went for $150,000. In Nigerian standards, this is astronomical. For the same price you could get a new 5-bedroom villa around Wuse in Abuja!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Looks like Lekki peninsula is "the next generation" in Lagos area new properties these days. With good infrastructure and seemingly urban planning actually implemented, this area is destined for more growth, especially that a new Chinese-backed export processing zone is underway not too far...

·
Modulor Man
1,007 Posts
Looks like Lekki peninsula is "the next generation" in Lagos area new properties these days. With good infrastructure and seemingly urban planning actually implemented, this area is destined for more growth, especially that a new Chinese-backed export processing zone is underway not too far...

Due to my informations Lekki (and VI) lacks in basic infrastructure, so every real estate developer is responsible to provide water and electricity. (But compared to the other districs in Lagos the infrastructure level is high!). And in my understanding of urban planning i can onyl see boring real estate layouts (which we have seen 1000ths in USA, GB, Israel and the Gulf States). So nothing innovative is happening on Lekki.

·
Registered
40,879 Posts
Arthabitat3, what do you define as "boring" , please? So the real estate layouts in the Gulf Sates are "boring" to you? What is "innovative" in your eyes then? Bzgl. des langweiligen Designs: Leute leben halt mal in Häusern oder arbeiten in Hochhäusern, da gibt es meines Erachtens nicht so viel Abwechslung und Innovation...(aber das ist ja deine Materie:) ) und wenn es zu Innovation und architektonischem Einfallsreichtum kommt, sind die Deustchen doch meist Schlusslicht! Die unzähligen grässlichen Betonburgen in der BRD sehen doch aus wie gekotzt. (Entschuldingung)

·
Modulor Man
1,007 Posts
Arthabitat3, what do you define as "boring" , please? So the real estate layouts in the Gulf Sates are "boring" to you? What is "innovative" in your eyes then? Bzgl. des langweiligen Designs: Leute leben halt mal in Häusern oder arbeiten in Hochhäusern, da gibt es meines Erachtens nicht so viel Abwechslung und Innovation...(aber das ist ja deine Materie:) ) und wenn es zu Innovation und architektonischem Einfallsreichtum kommt, sind die Deustchen doch meist Schlusslicht! Die unzähligen grässlichen Betonburgen in der BRD sehen doch aus wie gekotzt. (Entschuldingung)
there are some real estate layouts like "energy city/qartar" which a worth to be mentioned as innovative examples. but most of the other projects are scrap from my view. even the billion dollar "palms" project in dubai does not come up to my expectations.

(glaubst du ich mag die diese neubaugebiete mit den häuschen aus dem wüstenrot-katalog? :eek:) genau aber das ist es was leider zur zeit (und in zukunft) in deutschland realisiert wird. traurig aber wahr. für guten geschmack muss man sich nicht entschuldigen. wobei es in deutschland einige wohnungsbauprojekte gibt die sich von der masse abheben. scharnhauser park/stuttgart zum beispiel)

·
Registered
519 Posts
And in my understanding of urban planning i can onyl see boring real estate layouts (which we have seen 1000ths in USA, GB, Israel and the Gulf States). So nothing innovative is happening on Lekki.
I agree 100%. Local architects and designers have failed to produce any designs of notice, let alone of an international level. Even the Chagouri's development at snake island is nothing interesting at all, in Lebanese or otherwise standards.

There's always the excuse of tight budgets...I think it boils down to the failure of the Nigerian construction sector to diversify construction materials and produce them locally, as well as the failure to learn from other vibrant construction markets overseas (Brazil, Malaysia, Thailand, RSA, etc.).

You could probably trace all of the above to one thing: the rotten state of design + engineering education in Nigeria today.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Arthabitat3, what do you define as "boring" , please? So the real estate layouts in the Gulf Sates are "boring" to you? What is "innovative" in your eyes then?
My view on definition:
BORING = Repetitive, lacking in richness and depth, uninspiring, typical, literal, figurative, heavy...
INNOVATIVE = unique, original in form, technology or use, responsive to context, intelligent in function or systems, etc.

I think what Arthabitat is saying is that many of the so-called "innovative real estate extravaganza" being built and marketed in Nigeria today has been seen before (in style and planning) in sooo many parts of the world and I must agree with him.

Re Gulf area it has more than its fair share of boring developments but those were developed mostly during the oil boom of 1970/early 80s.
Today in the Gulf, believe me there's an array of intruiging developments, promoted by some seriously deep-pocketed investors especially in Dubai, Doha, and increasingly Bahrain. Check this out:

http://www.thepearlqatar.com/

Let's dream one day such a project would be built in Nigeria!

·
Registered
99 Posts
There's always the excuse of tight budgets...I think it boils down to the failure of the Nigerian construction sector to diversify construction materials and produce them locally, as well as the failure to learn from other vibrant construction markets overseas (Brazil, Malaysia, Thailand, RSA, etc.).
Maybe true. The biggest thing would be the inability to produce materials locally. Importing finished materials will always be expensive.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I think the issue with Nigerian Architecture is priorites. It is said that Architecture began when a man put two bricks together in a pleasing fashion. The begining of Architecture was sparked by time and convinience and of course Resources, without all these three elements architecture cannot take it's true shape. Well this is no excuse for the lack of innovation and creativity but I think the Modern residential estates are still young and as more estates spring up and there is bigger competition, we will see more originality:)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Above development reminds me of the dreadful suburban revolution around american cities post world war II.

The question is: How is Nigeria adapting the american suburban model to Nigerian realities? Countries such as Brazil have programs like "Favela Bairo" which addresses the issue of slum dwellers and integration with the city. Lagos has more than its share of slums and unplanned development, would be nice for at lease ONE pilot project to address low-medium income housing needs.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I've always wondered why Lagos doesn't have more homes built with red bricks...It's easier to maintain(you don't have to paint it all the time) and it's more aesthetically pleasing.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's the nigerian style

1 - 18 of 18 Posts