SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is gas cheaper in the richest parts of the country like Alberta and The Greater Toronto area while it is the most expensive in poorer area like Northen Ontario and most expensive in newfoundland?

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
Because places like Northern Ontario and Newfoundland demand gas much more than places like Alberta and GTA, and the oil comes from places like the GTA anyway, so it's only natural that it's cheaper there. :)

The honest reason is probably shipping. Newfoundland and the Terrs. are really hard to get to with gas, even remote places in Ontario are only accessable by ice road in winter, so gas is very expensive. In some places of Nunavut a can of pop will cost a few bucks, while in TBay we can get one for 12 cents at walmart. It's location. It costs money and gas to get gas to places where it can be sold for money.

The rest is just cold hearted gouging. It's about 120c/L here.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its around 1.02-1.08 right here outside Toronto. Its goes down to less then a dollar late at night.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
You have to remember that the trans-Canada oil pipeline starts in Alberta and goes down and ends just outside of Sarnia. Those two provinces have the easiest access to oil as a result, and it's cheaper to truck it down to the GTA from there. When you have to drive it off to a place like Newfoundland or Nunavut the cost of a driver and a truck goes up like crazy becayse getting inter-provincial truck drivers who are certified to drive a gas trucks is high, and they know right now they can hold out so they can make the big bucks. Also, there are more refineries in Alberta and Ontario to conver the pertoleum into useable gas so as a result the cost also goes down.

I don't really understand how Newfoundland still gets the high prices despite having a lot of gas :) but it's probably because they lack the refinerys so they have to ship it off to Ontario/Quebec and then bring it back.

·
The Mighty.
3,184 Posts
Gas should be federally regulated so I pay whatever in Windsor and should I choose to fill up in North Bay, Victoria, Yellowknife, or Moncton, should stay the same.

·
Technocrat
878 Posts
Oaronuviss said:
Gas should be federally regulated so I pay whatever in Windsor and should I choose to fill up in North Bay, Victoria, Yellowknife, or Moncton, should stay the same.
Absolutely not, let the market decide the prices.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
'When you have to drive it off to a place like Newfoundland or Nunavut the cost of a driver and a truck goes up like crazy becayse getting inter-provincial truck drivers who are certified to drive a gas trucks is high, and they know right now they can hold out so they can make the big bucks.'

The fact that Nunavut doesn't have highways also adds to the cost. ;)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Lets not forget provincial gas taxes are the lowest in Alberta and Ontario. Plus there is the fact that in Alberta there is no PST.

·
Banned
4,467 Posts
let's not forget it was newfoundland where hibernia was made. newfoundland & labrador should make their own refinery too and tell everyone to go **** themselves. :)

·
The Mighty.
3,184 Posts
Boris550 said:
Absolutely not, let the market decide the prices.
Nah...to make it fair, should stay the exact same everywhere.
Especially for East Coasters who make less that the rest of Canada yet have to pay more.
Ridiculous.

·
Technocrat
878 Posts
malek said:
dude grow up.

no one will drive less.

eat your sausage.
And you're telling me to grow up... :|

If people don't drive less, they have no right to complain. Think of it this way, high gas prices help encourage use of public transit and may help drive innovation and alternative fuels. Even if you disagree ideologically (and I identify as centre-right economically) then you should at least be able to agree as an urbanist.

·
The Tropics of Canada
5,065 Posts
hmmm, I have no choice but to drive ( just bought a house in Rayleigh { sub of Kamloops}) and there is No Mass Transit that works at my time frame.
But maybe Each Prvince should reduce Gas Taxes.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts