Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every city has their morning and evening rush hours.

But what kind of unusual traffic patterns does your city have? What circumstances affect your traffic other than rush hours, weather, or construction?

·
BOOMIN
468 Posts
In Louisville.. during the evening rush hour the traffic going into downtown is heavier on I-64 and I-71 than going out of downtown. & also on I-64 in Eastern Jefferson County it is heavier and very congested going from the suburbs to the western section of the city via I-264, rather than being congested going towards the outskirts.

Now dont get me wrong it is congested still almost everywhere going out of the city but just not as bad as mentioned above.

·
Banned
194 Posts
Here in the Twin Cities, we have two downtowns, which means traffic is almost always congested on streets and I-94 between downtown Minneapolis and downtown St. Paul during the day, from very early morning to very late evening. A big reason why the "Central Corridor" will become our second light rail line.

Also, on Friday afternoons and evenings, traffic on virtually every highway and freeway headed north out of the Twin Cities comes to a total stand-still because Twin Citians go "Up North" for the weekend to their cabins on lakes in central and northern Minnesota.

I used to live in Anoka, a northern suburb of Minneapolis and it would take me two hours to drive what normally takes ~35 minutes, just 20 miles from downtown Minneapolis on Hwy. 10. I don't know how I ever tolerated that gridlock on Fridays.

·
18,279 Posts
This weekend, Delaware is seeing it's two other major traffic patterns. One is the huge mass of people driving down Delaware Route 1 to the beach. The other is a huge mass of people driving down Delaware Route 1 for the NASCAR race this weekend. Just one of those traffic patterns is enough to clog the Route 1 expressway and the parallel US Route 13. Having both on the same weekend is worse, because now you're going to have 150,000 people leaving the NASCAR race from Dover and heading north, and 250,000 people leaving the beach towns and heading north. I remember reading in the newspaper in past years of 40 mile traffic jams and people taking 5 or even 6 hours to drive 100 miles.

·
Live and Let Live
1,606 Posts
Weekdays are already very bad, but most people are unaware that Weekends are actually the busiest days for freeway and bridge traffic in San Francisco, Oakland and Berkeley. Strange but true.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I always noticed that on I-290 heading away from downtown Chicago, you normally FLY right out of downtown doing 70mph from 3-5pm....but then everything suddenly slams to a hault about 5 miles west of downtown.

There's a lane bottleneck there, so it all makes sense - but just random to speed away from downtown at rush hour and then run into a wall of traffic a few miles away. In bad traffic the halting creeps closer and closer to downtown. I always cross my fingers and toes and speed as fast as I can while I pray for just ONE MORE MILE before it backs up.

·
Banned
518 Posts
Here's one for the strange traffic pattern category:

The Capital Beltway and other main arteries of Washington (Wisconsin Ave, Pennsylvania Ave, etc) are occasionally completely closed down for the presidential motorcade. Sometimes it happens during times of high traffic volume.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts