SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
STRASBOURG, my photos

Some pictures of my holidays in Strasbourg :)

Views from the cathedral:

scroll

The cathedral:

Astronomical clock:

Strasbourg's station:

scroll

Petite France (little France) and historical centre:

scroll

scroll

scroll

Storks in the streets !

arte, Franco-German tv channel:

European institutions:

scroll

The passerelle des deux rives which connects Strasbourg to Kehl (Germany):

Kehl:

The Rhine and Kehl:

Alsace and Black forest (Germany) in the backround:

All the photos were taken in april 08,
hope you liked it !

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Funny how France's most beautiful cities (mainly their centers) are those on or near the border of other countries, and often look more like those countries than the rest of France. Strasbourg is one. It's on the German border and has a lot of German influence architecturally. Lille is another very very near the Belgian border. I love its Flemish-influenced architecture. Nice is the other one. Old Nice looks more like the old quarter of an Italian city than a French city. Then there is Lyon. Although not really a border or near-border city like the ones above, it is still very close to Switzerland (especially Geneva) and Alpine, Northern Italy. Then there is Perpignan very near the Spanish (Catalonia) border, Toulouse (the Pink City) not too far, and some of the French Basque cities near the Spanish Basque Country. What do all these cities have in common. They embrace color like the neighboring countries, which I don't find to be the case in the dull, monotone French cities that are NOT near a neighboring country. I especially find the French cities of the western side (which are those furthest away from a neighboring country) especially dull because of their much more plain look and lack of colors. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and this is just my opinion. BTW, Paris is the only French city where I don't mind the monotone look. It makes up for it in so many levels.

Strasbourg is a jewel!!!!

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
EUROPE is so diverse!! all the styles in one country!!!! So European Union is a fantastic nation!!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Very beautiful. Did the Germans build this city?
The city was bounced back and fourth atleast 3x if not 4. La Petite France, the very charming old quarter that looks very German and is shown here, is ironically called that way, rathern than La Petite Allemagne. Maybe there is a good reason for it. I'm not sure if it was built during German or French sovereignty. Maybe someone knows. It may have developed during both.

But it's not just La Petite France quarter that looks german to me. Even the parts just outside the old quarter look and feel German to me. I'm referring to the buildings that look to be from the 1800s...the neoclassic-looking ones. Houses further out from the center also have a distinctive German look.

·
Banned
429 Posts
Europe is truly beautiful.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Once again...beautiful city!

Is it true that Strasbourg (mainly the low-income neighborhoods of the suburbs) has a rather high crime problem? I have heard that from some French people. Maybe high for its size?

BTW, Colmar and Mulhouse, the other major cities of Alsace (this region) are also beautiful and have the German look. All 3 can be viewed on Virtual Earth for bird's eye view aerials.

When visiting Strasbourg or Alsace region in general, make sure you try the Choucroute garnie or just Choucroute, which is the Francophonic translation for the Alsatian name Sürkrüt, or Sauerkraut in German. But since the French do wonders with food something tells me the Alsatian version is tastier than the version on the other side of the Rhine River. BTW, Alsatian is a dialect of German which some (mainly older) Alsatians speak and other typical Alsatian diches and drinks have Alsatian names.

Here's the choucroute. Even the food looks German in Alsace.

·
17,169 Posts
Yes it is true, Strasbourg has some of worst suburbs of France.
Strasbourg is one of most multi ethnic mid sized city in Europe (like most mid sized city of France) but it is not know for really being tolerent.

Alsace is one of most extrem right wing part of France but I think that this will with the new multi racial generations.

·
Registered
241 Posts
it is such an amazing and beautiful city, you can see the german influence in the architecture, it's wonderful! and those river boat rides, really cool!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts