SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been over this bridge, which spans Stratford station, many times, however only today did I realise something. I at first thought the bridge was painted brown, however on closer examination today, it looks like its rust. Anyone have an explanation to this?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've no explanantion but you're right it is rust, I've no idea why the decided to leave it like that. I assumed that they were going to paint it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rust has it's own charm I suppose, a nice earthy colour.
I actually like it, whether its painted brown or rusted brown, as long as it doesn't compromise the structure over time. Is there a special coating involved or something? (I know I'm asking big questions, but I'm starting uni next year doing civil engineering)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Rust does not compromise the strength of modern steel. Only the surface layer oxidises protecting the steel below from decay. Rust can only occur when there is oxygen present too after all.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah but rust just looks like it hasn't be looked after or properly maintained. When was the last time you saw something covered in rust and thought... that looks better than when they first painted it?

Looks cheap if you ask me, especially when its right next to a brand new shopping centre.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yeah but rust just looks like it hasn't be looked after or properly maintained. When was the last time you saw something covered in rust and thought... that looks better than when they first painted it?

Looks cheap if you ask me, especially when its right next to a brand new shopping centre.
Yes well, if we saw paint chippings everywhere and what used to be a brightly pink painted bridge then there would be some reason to think this could do with a bit of a clean up. But when it's design to look like this you see the beauty.

It look marvelous and very dominating.

·
Registered
24,267 Posts
It would imagine, or not, knowing Westfield, that it is an unintentional nod to the industrial and railway heritage of the Stratford area.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts