SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Urban Realm
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strathclyde University redevelopment : £200 million 10 years

Thanks to Monument via Crusty bint for the link!
http://video.strath.ac.uk/streams/U...evelopmentT.wvx

The Faculty of education and Livingstone tower replacement look incredibly amazing, particularly pleasing that they're replacing 1970's structures...

The sports and health centre is going up on the waste ground adjacent to the library on Cathedral street.

John Arbuthnott extension across the road...

"Front door" building...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Do you have pictures of the buildings they are replacing ... I think I have an idea, but i'm not sure.

Every single one of these designs is excellent. I particularly like the first one with the steps slicing through the centre.

[I clicked the link, and apparantly, i'm not authorised to view it?]

·
Urban Realm
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wasn't working for me earlier but is fine now, I've saved the juicy stuff anyway.

------------------------

The 2nd pic replaces this thing, the Livingstone tower. (I am not there by the way).

The Sports centre goes on this waste ground..

Arbuthnott is directly across the street.

The Faculty of education replaces the brown brick box on Cathedral street (the existing sports centre), the one where the architect forgot to install windows.

-------------------------

The first two designs are incredible, the others I find a bit lightweight (but still massive improvements).

The Education building looks like it was designed by M C Esher. Livingstone replacement is my fav though :).

·
Registered
419 Posts
ahh...That tower isn't that bad, it's the concrete mess under it. I'm not bothered it's going, especially as it's being replaced by this. If there's a part of town that's in need of a fixer-upper, this is definately it. The roads leading to Glasgow cathedral are slightly depressing.

Directly infront of the hospital is a bit of a mess. Shame, really. The hospital is an absolutely amazing building and is let down hugely by it's surroundings. Hopefully some of these developments will brighten the place up.

Edit: The vid is working fine, now!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I believe the original plan for for the M8 spur at Townhead for a eastern underground ring road of the M8, under Glasgow Green and the Clyde. This was downgraded to a spur to the High Street, but I think even this was killed off. The result a muddly and confusing mis-match junction with the potential to extend the motorway south. Either they build this extension (which might me useful) or rebuild the junction and fix this very messy junction.

·
Registered
271 Posts
This forum never ceases to pleasantly surprise me. Just when I think there is nothing much happening up pops another useful and interesting new post with a stream of lively and informed comments that follow.

As someone involved in construction in Glasgow I am very pleased that you all keep contributing.

I enjoyed the Strathcyde Uni promotional video thank you Gleegieboy even though it was bearly bigger than a postage stamp on my laptop!

·
Banned
345 Posts
Not impressed with any of this actually. The Livi Tower is an eyesore, but the McCance building isn't too bad... the new stuff lacks character the same way the old did.

·
Izzle Bizzle
1,511 Posts
Apparently the whole plan to knock down the Livvy Tower and McCance has been shelved and both are staying - according to the careers advisor I spoke to on a recent trip back to uni.

Don't know what'll happen now though - will be interesting to see what comes out in the wash.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I heard Livvy Tower and McCance were still get knocked down but not unitl 2013 due to a contract with NCP carparks. I like the page and park visuals... it looks like quality architecture, simple, bold and definte - not like Scottish University Architecture.

·
smalltown boy
3,433 Posts
A crying shame, this, because it's much needed. The only decent bits of built environment at Strathclyde are the Rottenrow Gardens and Steelhenge.

University’s building plans could be put on ice
ANDREW DENHOLM, Education Correspondent January 22 2009

Two multi-million-pound building projects at one of Scotland's leading universities could be put on hold because of the recession.

Strathclyde University, will next week recommend its ruling body "freezes" plans to build a £65m teacher training centre and a £35m sports and health facility at two sites in the city centre, pending a risk analysis of any potential cost over-runs.

It is not the first time the university has faced tough financial decisions over its estates plan, the cost of which is currently running at some £300m.
advertisement

In 2005, original estimates suggested the university could move out of its Jordanhill site in the west end of Glasgow and establish new facilities in the city centre at a cost of £52m. However, today, the bill has risen by more than £10m.

In addition, the university will be acutely aware of the impact of the recession on the value of the 41-acre Jordanhill site, which it had been hoping to sell to housing developers to help pay for the new buildings.
...continues at the Herald.

·
smalltown boy
3,433 Posts
From the Evening Times:

Campus to cost uni £300m

Strathclyde University is planning big changes

By Andrew Denholm

ONE of Scotland's leading universities has unveiled a £300million estates plan that will transform its city centre campus by 2020.
The proposals by Strathclyde University in Glasgow will see four new buildings and the extensive refurbishment of others.

The student union building on John Street will be disposed of, while the university also plans to vacate several buildings currently leased from Glasgow City Council along George Street.

The proposals to cut the size of Strathclyde's estate by 40% will be funded by capital grants from the Scottish Funding Council, borrowing, money from the university's own income, and proceeds from the sell-off of land and existing buildings.

Strathclyde has already announced plans to sell off its Jordanhill site in the West End of Glasgow.

The current financial climate has forced a delay in the sale, but the university still intends to leave Jordanhill by 2012.

Academic staff and students have questioned the proposed sale of the union building without a like-for-like replacement, while others ask why the university is spending so much money on buildings when it is cutting up to 140 jobs.

The official student body is in talks with university authorities, but Fiona McPhail, co-ordinator of a students and staff group called the Anti-Cuts Action Net-work, said: "There's been no proper consultation."

Graham Roddick, the university's director of estates management, said: "Every penny we spend on utilities or maintenance in buildings we don't need is a penny less to spend on students and staff."

The Campus Vision 2020 will now go out to consultation.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I used to study at Stathclyde in the early 90s. The big thing then was to build a red brick wall along Cathedral Street with occasional University Logos.

I heard some science centre was to be built between Todd Centre and Stenhouse Building. Has the green space between Todd/Wolfson Centres, Architecture Dept and Business School been filled?

Is Birkbeck Court still in existence?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts