SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Use your words
4,854 Posts
looks lovely, although it does seen a bit odd that they'd heighten the covered area so that its shadow covers the central seating area from the midday sun. I would expect that area to be a bit under-used, damp and mossy after a few years.

Love the semi-wild bank though. Get some meadow flowers in there and it'd be a haven for bees and butterflies.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Is that area really busy during the day? I've been there at night when it's a bit quieter, but I was wondering if there would be scope for a small licensed cafe in that space to capture passing students/lecturers etc?

·
Registered
9,918 Posts
The new student union is to be opened at the bottom of the Colville Building,so there will be more people in that area all day. Hope they remove the hedges ,across from the Colville as they blocki the view of the square!

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
A total dogs breakfast of a proposal that completely fails to address the issues of the non-vibrancy of the existing gardens.All edges are non-active and preference cars , not even the new union addresses the space in a meaningful way. What is required are active boundaries and a people magnet in the middle like a pavilion cafe or shop or something that draws folk to it.

·
Free Cake
3,024 Posts
Yea massive missed opportunity to expand the Union out into the gardens. I've not been around the gardens since I was at Strathclyde so hard to know what the footfall is like these days, but it wasn't exactly jumpin before. I don't see how this'll help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Why not just plant some trees, put down some benches, lay out some lawn, plant some flower beds? Why not have a classical style square, like Blythswood Square, it looks nice and it’s somewhere to go when it’s sunny. Of course, there would be no need to hire architects, no need to budget £10m, just tell a local landscaping company what to do and pay them what, £100k. And, of course, there’d be no need to rip it up and start again in 10 years time. That’s Strathclyde Uni’s speciality: taking perfectly decent buildings and gardens, and sticking hideous extensions on, making the whole campus even more hideous....

·
Registered
7 Posts
A tad less than 45 degrees, but why not? While I’m on a roll, hopefully the half block that contains the old ABC cinema on Sauchiehall St will be entirely cleared - and replaced with trees, benches, grass and flowerbeds, all the better to see the south gable of the (hopefully) rebuild, recreated and fireproof School of Art.

·
Registered
148 Posts
A tad less than 45 degrees, but why not? While I’m on a roll, hopefully the half block that contains the old ABC cinema on Sauchiehall St will be entirely cleared - and replaced with trees, benches, grass and flowerbeds, all the better to see the south gable of the (hopefully) rebuild, recreated and fireproof School of Art.
Oh noooo! The ABC should be replaced with a slightly larger music venue with the original facade replicated.

·
Hipster Scum
4,756 Posts
Roddy makes a good point, a cafe pavillion at the top of the square would really help to boost footfall.

Also, north of the square is surely ripe for redevelopment.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Have you ever visited that street? A park would just be for homeless/drunk students to piss in.

ABC needs rebuilt, as someone mentioned. We do not need another gap in the streetscape.

·
User
16,503 Posts
Horrible idea.

·
Hipster Scum
4,756 Posts
I'm not on board with the ABC site, but i've always fancied turning the horrific Sauchiehall Centre into a square. One of the things that visitors often say about the city centre is that it can be a bit intense with very little green space.

I think a new public square would help anchor that part of town as it shifts away from retail towards nightlife/residential. Build new residential on the Bath Street side with retail/restaurants along the square facing Sauchiehall. It could also help divert some of the Christmas tat away from George Square.

·
User
16,503 Posts
Pointless comment.
Ok, well here's why:

1) The abc was one of the busiest mid sized venues in the uk and a pivotal footfall generator for the whole street and area.
2) a 'park' there would simply read as what it'd be: a missing block in the urban street wall.
3) the rear facade of the art school doesnt even extend diwn to sauchiehall street anyway so you'd only be showcasing a blank wall covering foundations.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts