Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call them trams or call them trolleys ... call them street cars?

Tell us the story of your city. Were they hauled by horse, or pulled by cable? Steam-powered? Diesel? Electrifiied?

Are they still there, or is there just a vestige to remind you of a time gone by? Did you buy them up to shut them down, or buy them up to fix them up?

Or have they breezed through your streets, through peace and through war, and you don't have an idea what I'm talking about?

Claim your part in the history of street-railways here.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Melbourne: it's network :

I'd love to quote route and track kilometres here, but I had to scan in the map from my street directory to get a decent map. I'll track this up, but we're looking at routes that run ot 20 km+ from the city centre arregatring to about 400 route-kilometres or maybe under.

However:

31 routes
5,360 services per day.
1,770 stops (places you can get on a tram).
A fleet of 500 (they say).

The fleet varies from the classic "W" class trams in the first photo above (which you can now get on for free around the "City Circle". (It also served as a theatre venue and still serves as restaurant tram).

Through: B-series (2000 series articulated) trams

And then ...

[

And now we're up to to 5000...

Tram marshalling point at Melbourne Uni:

Sorry, since it was privatised it's very hard to find real data.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
BenL said:
San Fransisco.

San Francisco : Cable-Car Capital of the World. (after Mebourne & Chicago backed out).

But let me ask you ... Melbourne dispatches 5000 tram trips a day. How many does San Francisco dispatch? And how far do they run? certainly not 20 km. And who travels on them?

Yes, our trams run on electricity now.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mr_storms said:
Either way, dont make this a SF v. Melbourne thread. Some European city certainly wins. Milan comes to mind but some other ones have big networks too
I know that. And it's not Milan. :)

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
Chicago is totally out of this one I think! We backed out LONG time ago! :cheers:

Anyway, so far, I think that it can be the race between Melbourne and SF!
How about Toronto? Last time I was there, they do have some pretty active street rail on the surface! :)

·
Lurker
3,805 Posts
Yarra Trams, on their site claims to have 250km of double track in their network.

A map that's to scale:

Green lines are trams, blue are trains.

@Yardmaster - you could have got an identical map at the Metlink website, and saved you the trouble of scanning it. :)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Here's a map that was originally posted by MSPtoMKE in another thread. I've updated it to include the new Kennedy GO station. The original posting also had a satellite overlay. The map only shows official routes, not the several other diversion routes which do not regularly see revenue service.

In terms of route mileage, the TTC has 305.8 kilometres or 190 miles. http://www.toronto.ca/ttc/pdf/operatingstatistics2005.pdf
In terms of single track mileage, the TTC has 172.2 kilometres or 107 miles. http://www.lightrail.com/photos/toronto/toronto.htm

Future plans call for new streetcar lines:
• Extended along Kingston Rd. (502/503 terminus) to Kennedy Station via Eglinton
• Along Queens Quay East running into the Port Lands
• Running along Cherry Street linking King(504)/Queen(505) Streets and the Port Lands serving the new West Don Lands development
• A connection through the Exhibition grounds to connect the Harbourfront(509) and Queensway(501) ROW's
• Upgrading the St. Clair 512 to a full ROW
• Upgrading Fleet St. (common track of 509/511) so that the entire 509 line will have a full ROW

1 - 20 of 32 Posts