Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The discussion about Street Experience, Furniture and Design pops up regularly on threads, often derailing them.

Therefore I have created a thread where people may post personal experience, photos, articles and discussions on both good and bad examples.

I think this should cover all types of Urban Space.

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A thought-provoking article in The Guardian recently

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/j...wned-public-space?fb=native&CMP=FBCNETTXT9038

Public spaces in Britain's cities fall into private hands

Jeevan Vasagar guardian.co.uk, Monday 11 June 2012 14.06 BST

When it opens this week, Granary Square will be one of the biggest public spaces in Europe – a focal point for the regeneration of King's Cross, a neglected part of London. It will be managed in a private estate of 10 plazas and parkland near the rail hub.makes this clear. "Welcome to King's Cross," it reads. "Please enjoy this private estate considerately."

Over the past decade, large parts of Britain's cities have been redeveloped as privately-owned estates, extending corporate control over some of the country's busiest squares and thoroughfares. These developments are no longer simply enclosed malls like Westfield in White City or business districts like Broadgate in the City of London – they are spaces open to the sky which appear to be entirely public to casual passers-by.

continue reading here

·
Registered
24,341 Posts
The new improved Bow Roundabout cycle superhighway.

diamondgeezer on flickr

Cable Street, Ratcliff.

diamondgeezer on flickr

Conservation area Narrow Street, Limehouse.

diamondgeezer on flickr

Mountfichet Road, Stratford City

jamesup on flickr

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I`ll repost this unfortunate juxtaposition, which surely must be one of the worst central streetscapes in London, Aldgate:

1 - 20 of 204 Posts