*Original architect/developer

Development Details:

- 7 storey student accommodation building
- Located on Melbourne Street
- 195 studios
- 18 flats/suites
- 15 car parking spaces

Planning Application:

Erection of 6 / 7 storey student hall of residence providing a total of 213 bedrooms (195 studios and 18 flats/suites) with ancillary accommodation, 15 car parking spaces and associated landscaping (as amended by plans received 23/11/09, 24/11/09 & 25/11/09).

http://planningapplications.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?previousCaseUprn=004510714241&previousCaseType=Property&activeTab=summary&previousKeyVal=HLPY8DBS40033&previousCaseNumber=HLPY8DBS40032&keyVal=KQQK9DBSAP000

The Site:

Currently:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2010/03/09/more-student-digs-may-be-built-in-newcastle-72703-25993401/

Proposed Layout:

Proposed Elevations:

Proposed Renders:

http://www.studentcastle.co.uk/register.php

Latest News:

More student digs may be built in Newcastle
Mar 9 2010 by Amy Hunt, Evening Chronicle

MORE student digs look set to get the go-ahead in Newcastle. A seven-storey block with 213 bedrooms is planned for Melbourne Street, between Byker Bridge and the city centre, next to the current Quay Point student flats.

In recent months the Ouseburn area of the city has been the location for a series of applications for student flats, with the issue of how many should be built, and where, becoming a political hot topic.

Since last year 756 bedrooms for students have been built in the city. A further 896 are under construction, while 4,171 others have planning permission.

The application for Melbourne Street, by Moorfield Group Ltd, went before councillors in December, but they deferred making a decision because of concerns over parking for students living there.

Following an earlier consultation of 600 households in the area, three objections were received from residents and one from the management company for the 694 Quay Point flats was received. Neighbours said they thought there was already too much student accommodation in the area.

The Quay Point management Liberty Living was concerned at the potential loss of a car park for its flats.

But Moorfield Group bosses said the car park belonged to their company and they were drawing up an agreement with Liberty Living to resolve the problem.

Planning officers are now recommending permission for the scheme be granted in the interests of providing enough accommodation for students at the city’s universities.

The number of full-time students in Newcastle increased by more than 40% from 2000/01 to 2006/07 and officers say there is a need for many more student beds in the city before the end of the academic year.

The city council has been drawing up its Student Housing Strategy, which it says will see the creation of more than 5,000 new bedrooms, improving living standards and cutting rent prices for thousands of students at Newcastle’s universities.

But student representatives, landlords and opposition councillors say the strategy is a way of trying to force them out of areas like Jesmond and Heaton where they have traditionally lived.

In October councillors gave the go-ahead to a 254-bed complex at Coquet Street, next to Byker Bridge. A 2,000-bed complex for Stoddart Street, in the same area, got the green light in March last year. The council’s development control committee will meet on Friday.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2010/03/09/more-student-digs-may-be-built-in-newcastle-72703-25993401/

·
Super Moderator
22,809 Posts
This is the project thread for Student Castle Melbourne Street. NH if you feel theres any relevant posts to be moved over here from the 'Student Accommodation' thread, then please do so.

Great, I'll have a look.

I've also added the TAG : Project - Newcastle Area to this thread, which will enable the "full set" of all the Newcastle Forum Projects to be pulled up on-screen at one time.

I will post a note for Geordie Ahmed also, to add this new thread to his 'Development Summary'.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great, I'll have a look.

I've also added the TAG : Project - Newcastle Area to it, which will enable the "full set" of all the Newcastle Forum Projects to be pulled up on-screen at one time.

I will post a note for Geordie Ahmed also, to add the new thread to his 'Development Summary'.

Cheers.
The tag feature really is great when wanting to find all of the developments that have project threads. Good stuff :cheers:

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Wonky windows and coloured panels are going to look naff now, never mind in 10-15 years time.

I wonder how much the rents are going to be on this place? Seems some of the student stuff being built now isn't far off private flats for individuals in terms of rents.

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
Yup, this'll go out of fashion fast... Still, it's an improvement on the newish blocks surrounding it - at least it's making an attempt at having some character!

·
Idle waster.
hard work.
1,257 Posts
I think it's the BT Headquarters
It is.

Not for long, I imagine another des res for the students will be thrown up in a few weeks time.

I am a resident of Battlefield Estate, the massive influx of students has been a disaster for the long term residents.

How many affordable homes for our young people have been built?

Block after block of faceless or ugly buildings filled with rahs.

Not a penny for the long term residents, NCC should hang their heads in shame.

·
Urban Environmentalist
1,661 Posts
Could anyone tell me what the massive white building to the west of this development is used for?
I think it's the BT Headquarters
^^ The BT building is there to stay.

Its the central exchange for the NE of England and one the key nodes on the BT backbone network.

Its basically the hub of all communications in the North East and probably a key switching point for cross-North Sea telecommunications.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is.

Not for long, I imagine another des res for the students will be thrown up in a few weeks time.

I am a resident of Battlefield Estate, the massive influx of students has been a disaster for the long term residents.

How many affordable homes for our young people have been built?

Block after block of faceless or ugly buildings filled with rahs.

Not a penny for the long term residents, NCC should hang their heads in shame.
NCC isn't funding these schemes though, they are all through private developers, I guess the only role NCC is playing is in the planning (decision making). If these schemes weren't being built in the area though, then what would be? So surely overall it is going to be of benefit to the area to have such developments (investment and jobs) occuring than nothing at all?

·
Urban Environmentalist
1,661 Posts
NCC isn't funding these schemes though, they are all through private developers, I guess the only role NCC is playing is in the planning (decision making). If these schemes weren't being built in the area though, then what would be? So surely overall it is going to be of benefit to the area to have such developments (investment and jobs) occuring than nothing at all?
NCC are allowing the schemes to go ahead as they meet two criteria:

1: They are near the uni
2: They are on brownfield sites

Battlefield's days as a community have been numbered since the Quayside went ahead as development was always going to spead back from the river. The Tyne Tees studios were the last barrier, so now its a pincer attack from both sides.

I agree, it is a shame. When communities like Battlefield and Shieldfield were built, it was with an idea that social housing could be better and nice communities could form, even if people did not have thousands to spend on their home and its surroundings. But now in the 21st century, council tenants are just seen as a drain on society and can be shunted around at will... since they aren't paying rent anyway how can they complain?! The west end has felt it for years, now the east end is seeing it too.

·
Super Moderator
22,809 Posts
^^ The BT building is there to stay. Its the central exchange for the NE of England and one the key nodes on the BT backbone network. Its basically the hub of all communications in the North East and probably a key switching point for cross-North Sea telecommunications.

Oh yes, a VERY permanent feature!

Something like the "BT Trunk Switching Station" is what it is called.

As you say toonlad, 'everything' goes through there.

I seem to remember its full name is Hadrian Trunk Switching Centre, and it is the only building like it on Tyneside.

It is a purpose built BT building, BT have always owned it and (from research I find) there are a few similar BT buildings in other parts of the UK, especially one in Enniskillen which is almost identical.

Here is a clearer photo of it . . .

·
Idle waster.
hard work.
1,257 Posts
since they aren't paying rent anyway how can they complain?!
Are you being ironic?

NCC isn't funding these schemes though, they are all through private developers,
But they now have money to provide private mortgages for cruddas park.

If these schemes weren't being built in the area though, then what would be?
How about affordable housing for working people?Built by housing assc.

Not one penny from the developers has been spent improving Battlefield.

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
My goodness, did they buy this from IKEA? It's come flatpack on the back of a lorry.
Prefabrication has taken off massively in the last few years. The airtightness you get compared to a traditional "brick and block" construction is so much better, which is vital as they ramp up environmental performance standards over the next few years (as things stand, all new homes will have to be zero carbon by 2016, with steps towards that happening in the years until then).

It also produces better build quality in general (people working with precision tools in warm conditions, instead of out on a site unable to feel their fingers due to the cold) and reduces the number of workers needed, which is good as the industry has a big skills shortage.

This will be the norm within the next few years.

As for places like Battlefield and Shieldfield, I would have to agree that this is the best place for student housing as it's so close to the centre and there's a lot of land available, but John's completely right that there should be a mix. It'll be very interesting to see how these areas cope if there ends up being an oversupply of student blocks or they suddenly become unfashionable to students. Hopefully they'll be easily convertable, but I'm convinced that only the better blocks have been designed to be.

Besides, these blocks are incredibly ugly.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
It's interesting, since it appears from the photos to be extremely lightweight construction. I see very little concrete or steel, which I'm surprised about given that this is going to be a 7 storey building.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts