SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a student at a Canadian High School, and I have a particular interest in Law. So, I've decided that I might go to Harvard (#1 rated) to study Law and get away from my home for a bit when I graduate in Grade 12. I know that I would have to buy a Visa and all that shit, but how hard is it to actually get into Harvard Law school?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
First of all, you need an undergraduate degree to get into Harvard Law School. You'll also need to take the LSATs & be interviewed. At the bare minimum, they're expecting your LSAT percentile to be up in the high 90s, & for your GPA to be close to 3.7-4.

Why not worry about your undergraduate degree first??

If you want to enter Harvard for undergrad study, you need:

At the bare minimum, you need SAT1 scores above 1450 (under the old system, most accepted into Harvard get 1500+), and at least 2250 under the new one. Since you'd be counted as an International student, they would demand a higher score.

You'd also have to take SAT2 for the subject you're planning to enter. Again expect yourself to be in the mid to high 90 percentile if you even want a chance of entering.

Also, aim for a GPA close to ~4, which would translate to a mid to high 90 grade average if we base it on the OSSD (Ontario Secondary School Diploma).

Finally, you would need to be exceptional in at least a couple of areas outside of the classroom. Leadership, Community Involvement, Honoury member, etc.

·
Registered
381 Posts
It might also help if you sold some of your organs and/or your soul to pay for it

Financial aid will help, but going to school in the States and taking law will never be cheap, especially at a private university like Harvard. Even in Canada professional programs (such as law) tend to cost much more than others because of the expectation that your income will be higher when you graduate (and because they can get away with it).

It's always good to aim high, though.

·
Registered
180 Posts
rt_0891 said:
First of all, you need an undergraduate degree to get into Harvard Law School. You'll also need to take the LSATs & be interviewed. At the bare minimum, they're expecting your LSAT percentile to be up in the high 90s, & for your GPA to be close to 3.7-4.

Why not worry about your undergraduate degree first??

If you want to enter Harvard for undergrad study, you need:

At the bare minimum, you need SAT1 scores above 1450 (under the old system, most accepted into Harvard get 1500+), and at least 2250 under the new one. Since you'd be counted as an International student, they would demand a higher score.

You'd also have to take SAT2 for the subject you're planning to enter. Again expect yourself to be in the mid to high 90 percentile if you even want a chance of entering.

Also, aim for a GPA close to ~4, which would translate to a mid to high 90 grade average if we base it on the OSSD (Ontario Secondary School Diploma).

Finally, you would need to be exceptional in at least a couple of areas outside of the classroom. Leadership, Community Involvement, Honoury member, etc.
In other words, go to Brock.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Harvard accepts about 9% of people who apply (as undergrads). It's similarly difficult to get into Princeton, Yale, Amherst, Rice, Stanford, and many other super-elite US colleges. Stanford get more applicants with both perfect SATs and first rank ("valedictorians" in the US) in their high school classes than it has places for first-years. These schools are monstrously competitive, and if you don't even understand the simple fact that "Law" is NOT an undergrad major, your hopes are very dim indeed.

There are 13,000 BA/BS granting institutions in the US- setting your sights on Harvard and only Harvard is absolutely ridiculous and almost bound to fail.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Interesting. I have a superbright nephew living just outside of Paris. His folks want to send him to McGill.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
svs said:
Interesting. I have a superbright nephew living just outside of Paris. His folks want to send him to McGill.
Understandable, McGill also has a very good Law program.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
get an undergrad degree first, then think about law school.

only 6 people from canada go to harvard law each year..i believe..

·
SS-man: Semen Shedder
1,765 Posts
furrycanuck said:
These schools are monstrously competitive, and if you don't even understand the simple fact that "Law" is NOT an undergrad major, your hopes are very dim indeed.
Tell it as it is cowboy (your sharp tongue has shattered my stereotypical view of gay men which sucks cause stereotypes are nice and easy)

To the future lawyer: as mentioned McGill has a reputable law school and won't cost you an arm and a leg to attend. Plus their library is real cozy which is important since law student practicall lives there.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Law is an undergrad degree in New Zealand and possibly in Australia (I know it used to be) and in the UK. Just sayin'. Not that the info will help you if you want to go to school in the US. The world is bigger than Canada and the U.S, though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts