Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Gotta lite?
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Australia, as we all know is a country of Grand Coastlines. Also, being a nation where most of the population cling to the coast, we all have a long appreciation for such watery natural wonders.

For this reason, I suspect many Australians would be interested to see the coastline of Europe. Many people have different impressions of what European scenary can look like, but oddly I havn't met many Australian's that are aware of it's coastal beauty.

In this case, I will concentrate on the European Union and it's linked nations (i.e. those outside the union, but with similar ties). The reason for this limitation is to give a comparison to Australia which is a single large country, in such ways of easy travel and movement. In other words, an Australian from Sydney can just pack their bags and move to Perth with little thought and redtape, just as a person from Amsterdam can move to Spain.

Some posts will be from warm or hot climate regions, others from the cooler parts of Europe.

Believe me or not, but Europe has a coastline three times longer than Australia's. This is due to the enormous amount of islands, peninsulars, seas and indentations etc. The coastline of the EU alone is 65,992km long.

Anyway, I will start by Greece. These photos were originally posted by NMBS1 on the great Greek thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=481504

Unfortunately, I can't name all the spots ;O) I hope you all enjoy this thread.

You may see by this thread that there are both highly populated coastal area's, but also many secluded ones as well.

·
Gotta lite?
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And now moving West to Italy. In my opinion, Italy has some of the most stunning landscapes in Europe. Amazing cliffs and secluded beaches, from the top of the country right down to the south.

I'll leave my favourite part (Sorrento) for another post, but first here is the Liguria region in the very north of the country (quite close to France)

(Thanks to Touristman and palabrass who original posted these photos)

You can see it is much more lush with vegetation than many of the Greek coastlines.

The Island of Sardinia

And finally Tropea in the country's South. I just discovered this place the other week. I find it amazing how the buildings cling onto the cliffs and love the rock between the two beaches.

·
Lord Melbourne
4,257 Posts
Some great photos in there, i love most of the cliff shots, where the village has been built right on top of them, looks so cool.

·
Agent of Change
7,184 Posts
Stunning is an understatement. I'd love to own a place in Italy by the coast, the views are simply breathtaking. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
Indeed the Greek and Italian coastlines look remarkable similar (Infact its extremely hard to tell the difference until you move further north in Italy). I think that lushness factor is only true to the time of the pictures taking though as I have seem a lot of Greek areas that look pretty much identical.

Just for the record, some of the pictures in the first post are from the Greek Islands of Zakynthos, Santorini and possibly one Ionian Island.

·
selling my body since 88'
2,241 Posts
I reckon Greece is unsurpassed for coastline beauty. It is spectacular!

·
99% Angel
689 Posts
Beautiful photos! Both Greece and Italy have beautiful coastlines and do look similar in some ways! And to add to what Giorgos already said... there are many islands within Greece that are very rich in vegetation and greenery! Some exmaples would be the Ionian islands such as Corfu, Kefalonia, Lefkada, Zakynthos, etc. For me alot of the Mediterranean countries are truly amazing in terms of natural beauty!

·
Gotta lite?
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for your comments.

I live inland now, something until moving to Frankfurt I never had done before. It is quite an odd experience that few Australian's would have experienced as most cities hug the coast. Naturally, of cause I really miss the sea and spend a good deal of my holidays going somewhere where there is a coastline.

Now for something completely different. Heading north to the Norwegian coastline on the North Sea.

·
Mainland Sea & Sky
6,242 Posts
Great place with amazing shots ! Attractive to go ......

·
Gotta lite?
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, I have loads more coming, including both green lush coastline from Spain (most people expect the dry sun drenched beaches further south), almost sub tropical looking beaches that belong to England (really an eye opener for those not expecting it) Europe's answer to Hawaii and a lot more.

Though I'd rather wait for a few more comments to bring this to the next page so the picture quantity doesn't overload the bandwidth.

·
Gotta lite?
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys,

Well, it's time for some more, and my next post will be of a part of Europe that most Australian's may have heard of, but few probably had any idea how stunning the coastline is.

I'm going to break it up a bit, as I don't want to post so many photos on the one page. Most people I think have the forum set to the default 20 posts per page, and if I put too many pictures on the one page it may screw up some PC's.

So, it's not because I'm trying to spam this thread ;O)

·
Gotta lite?
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think most of us have heard of Brittany in France. Yet few realize how stunning the scenery is here. Brittany is a great example that the amazing coastal scenes in Europe isn't restricted to the famous or most visited ones. Brittany, and the rest of Frances Atlantic coast is a popular place for French people to visit in summer, but other Europeans often miss it for more famous places, like the French Riviera to the south on the Mediterranean Sea. But this place is certainly worth a visit.

Characterized by endless peninsula's, lagoons, rivers, islands and estuaries, sandy beaches and some beautiful towns and villages amongst a beautiful green lush setting.

Brittany occupies a large peninsula in the northwest of France, lying between the English Channel to the north and the Bay of Biscay to the south. With a population of 4.2million over 34,034km².

Photos to follow...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts