SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some call it the most beautiful main train station of the world, others call it a bad copy of star wars. Stuttgart plans to build a new train staion. The project is called Stuttgart 21. The project got the Mipim
Architectural Review Future Project Award 2005 and the Best-of-show overall prize.

This is the main station today. The building will be the home of some shops, restaurants and so on... (pic by www.ilexikon.com)

These are the rails of Stuttgart main station. After Stuttgart 21 they will be underground and on the new area there will be a new district of the town with offices, a mall, flats, bars,.... *

This is the desing of the Area A1 with its 3 skyscrapers. The construction at this area has already begun and the first buildings are finished. *

For this picture you can see the old main station on the left and the new Straßburger Plaza with its charakteristic 25 Lichtaugen (eyes of light). The new main station will be placed under the eyes of light.

(pic by www.archimagazine.com)
That is going to be the view you have when you arrive at Stuttgart.

Facts:
Name: Stuttgart 21
Costs: 2.6 mrd. Euro
Construction start: 2006-2008
Construction finished: around 2013
I really hope you like it
if you have any questions just ask :)

* pics by www.schips.org

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Stuttgarter89 said:
Some call it the most beautiful main train station of the world, others call it a bad copy of star wars. Stuttgart plans to build a new train staion. The project is called Stuttgart 21. The project got the Mipim
Architectural Review Future Project Award 2005 and the Best-of-show overall prize.

This is the main station today. The building will be the home of some shops, restaurants and so on... (pic by www.ilexikon.com)
The new one is pretty cool looking but the current is also cool like the gold benz symbol :drunk:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the architects are Ingenhoven and Partner from Düsseldrof (Germany)
the site of them is here
they have so many nice projects! You find many great pictures and a nice information text about Stuttgart 21 at projects/Infrastructure/Mainstation Stuttgart

For those who wonder what the mercedes star does at the top of the old main station. The car was invented in Stuttgart and the World centrels of mercedes (Daimler Chrysler) and Porsche are in Stuttgart. So the car industry is really important for stuttgart!

·
A B C
1,669 Posts
Whoa that is a huge complex project.

·
Lord Melbourne
4,243 Posts
Wow, looks like Southerncross station roof, but very diffrent, not bumps, but weird holes. i like it, at least they have put greenery in the plan.

·
Banned
22 Posts
i love the current one, i've been in in many times and the interior is jsut magnificent. i dont really like the new one...seems a bit too futuristic for stuttgart, i wish they had chosen a more conservative design that would better fit in with its surroundings

1 - 20 of 23 Posts