SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These pics are from a few weeks ago. I was originally supposed to fly into Pittsburgh, then to Indy, but the flight was cancelled. US Airways rerouted me to Charlotte.

Charlotte has a classy airport, with that piano player and all. Oh yeah, and that crown really is everywhere (even on the Departing/Arriving Flights TV).

Could this be lake Norman?

Yes, I meant subpar

Aw shit, the runways in there, better haul my ass of to jail.

Probably the best pic

Over the burbs

Ooh purdy!

That's all.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Nice pics!

Unrelated story: the only time I've flown into Charlotte was during the blizzard of '02. The city was completely out of power at that time, and most roads were closed so there was no traffic out. On approach, The lights of contiguous cities led up to this huge black blob... which was the city. It was truly bizarre-looking.

·
Registered
114 Posts
romec said:
Cool pics!

I realize the shots are from way up in the air, but Charlotte's terrain seems flatter than I expected. But a beautiful skyline!
For the most part Charlotte's terrain is similar to Raleigh's but the hills are generally a bit steeper and more frequent. As with Raleigh, there are places that are relatively gentle and some that are more pronounced. Anyway there is enough of a difference overall that you will readily notice it.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
BhamDKH said:
I love Charlotte. I wish Birmingham would plan like y'all do.
what the helll?

you mean tear down 99.9% of buidlings downtown that were built before WWII?

as Mattsal said, CLT looks really...small, and not urban in these photos. (i think they're pretty good aerials, and i like CLT's airport btw...)

or maybe you mean getting a competent city administration?

sorry ahead of time if/when this argument comes up again.

-

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
uptownliving said:
Did you get any pictures of our classy airport?
Nah. I first I thought Charlotte being obsessed with cleanliness were just jokes. Jeez, I was wrong. They empty trash cans at the airport like every half an hour. They also double bag the trash cans. Pretty impressive.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
LSyd said:
as Mattsal said, CLT looks really...small, and not urban in these photos. -
I never realized how much of the city was under tree cover. Looking at these pics, you'd think that the city was just a few buildings in the middle of the forest. There are pretty large urban districts that are totally invisible because of the canopies.

·
King of the Queen
2,164 Posts
Naptown said:
Nah. I first I thought Charlotte being obsessed with cleanliness were just jokes. Jeez, I was wrong. They empty trash cans at the airport like every half an hour. They also double bag the trash cans. Pretty impressive.
lol. many might think it is a joke when when you actually observe the amount of work that goes into keeping the public parts of our city clean, you're taken back a bit. i happen to like it.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
Justadude said:
I never realized how much of the city was under tree cover. Looking at these pics, you'd think that the city was just a few buildings in the middle of the forest. There are pretty large urban districts that are totally invisible because of the canopies.
i know. and Atlanta. same thing here.

-

·
Registered
841 Posts
When visiting Charlotte for the first time one of the first things that hit me was how green everything was, and how many trees there were. I also slowly realized how much money is spent on professional landscaping EVERYWHERE here. That kinda ties into the clean theme. Everything is very prim and proper all over the city. Even the highways seem more well maintained than I was used to.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts