SkyscraperCity banner

721 - 723 of 723 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts

Yes, they are good presenters - I will agree with that. The Alstom Moor Historical website says that there was an ancient henge/circle in Alston but Alistair means the one at Rotherhope, on the way to Garrigill, rather than the one I found by LiDAR at Bridge End. I found what looks like the outline of the construction camp for Epiacum - same as a Marching Camp - on LiDAR and wrote to Stewart Ainsworth. You'd think he'd reply, wouldn't you, and say something like 'can you send me a print of your image', but nothing. My thesis is that Alston Moor was producing piecemeal copper from the earliest days and they don't like that.

The river beside Epiacum flows over limestone pavement and, during a dry summer, disappears down a sinkhole to then reappear three hundred yards further downstream. It's quite curious and nobody knows about it now. Around there was a very large stone circle, of small stones, and other monuments of big stones, which have been piled up in a field, presumably from the time of the turnpike road building (involving a new road bridge). Those extensive remains must've been fairly intact when the Romans arrived and may partially explain why Epiacum is where it is. The North'd county archaeologists have seen this circle - 'yes, it's a stone circle' they said - but have not notified Historic England, as they should've and as is their statutory duty. The circle is across the river from Kirkhaugh Barrow (q.v.) and is part of the same landscape. It's on the sites and monuments register as 'possible circle' and just four people have seen it - me, a dog walker and the two county archaeologists. Twenty years later and it's lost in the rushes ...

There's also the supposed remains of a motte at Eals, but it's never been investigated. It might also be the remnants of a Roman signal station - there is another of these at Coanwood - presumably to communicate between Epiacum and Vindolanda. Here's a reconstructed LiDAR image of Bridge End, Alston. The Bridge End Henge is clearly identifiable (I can see why someone may describe it as a racetrack) but there is a hint of a circular ditch to the north, and enclosing part of The Raise. (I remember Mr Hughes, the headmaster of Samuel Kings, used to live there). There's a large camp also nearby, reckoned as Iron Age, but probably B.A., that would link in. The Maiden Way runs between them. Please Google 'Long Mea Long Cairn' to find some old photos of my Alston Moor finds. Cope said it took the archs. twenty years to accept new finds and he may be rather over-optimistic.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
It's an aerial image of Alston, Cumbria, which has been stretched to emphasise the remains of a circular prehistoric monument (or henge) in the centre lower foreground. The town of Alston can be identified on the right and the River South Tyne floodplain on the right. The image is made from laser derived point values taken from a small plane a few years ago. The set of LiDar images covering much of the country has been released to the public domain not long ago and is helping researchers discover previously unseen features. It's a bit like remote metal detecting only it finds banks and pits rather than metallic objects. The picture shows a newly discovered henge just outside of Alston which should be of interest to dowsers and local historians and new age nuts.

721 - 723 of 723 Posts