Anadarko Tower:

Offices:

Over the Waterway:

Trying to get back on I-45:

The End of a long day (well, not really):

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Real pics of real people in a sweet city...thanks for the post. We're talking about coming to Houston for 4 days during the Summer and just spending money and having a good time. It's almost sorta like a payback for how decent Houston was to New Orleans during the Katrina disaster.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bobdreamz said:
some of it looks like what we have here in Florida but what is up with all of those signs????????

Why its I-45, Houston's Most Fabulous and Elegant Freeway! :jk:

·
18,394 Posts
HoustonTexas said:
this is my favorite picture.

this suburban "hell" doesn't look bad to me. the first third of the thread is pretty nice; it has the feel of a smaller town. and what would you expect along an interstate anyway? i think of freeway areas like industrial areas; no matter what you do to make them look nice, they're still going to look pretty bad. the woodlands looks like a pretty nice area as well; it seems to be a pretty nice replica city, with a good amount of skyscrapers, and a good amount of green areas.

·
Registered
169 Posts
LOL @ HT. Indeed... hell. I especially hated those photos of lush foliage. What a travesty.

As for the signs, imagine how the North Freeway (easily, Houston's prettiest freeway), looked in 1979, when there were no sign or billboard ordinances in place. Now, the busy body city council have put in a ban against billboards and a restriction on signage. The freeway is eventually going to be expanded and many of those signs (along with the businesses) that abut the freeway will be knocked down, ala the Katy Freeway expansion that's underway.

The Woodlands, BTW, is very suburban, but it's pretty cool, and very lush. Not a bad job for a suburb at all. Katy, OTH...

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have a feeling that someday we will look back fondly at roadside billboards the way we now appreciate inner-city neon. We'll probably have a similar attitude toward power lines, for that matter.

Anyway, nice photos. Not until the last part does it get really hellish. The majority of them look quite survivable.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Bobdreamz said:
some of it looks like what we have here in Florida but what is up with all of those signs????????

OMG, those signs look junky. That sort of thing would NOT fly in Raleigh and Wake County because of strict sign ordinances in place. The signs to most business here are very small and on the ground. Cary takes this to the extreme....the typical McDonalds "Golden Arches" are not allowed. Golden Corral in Cary lacks its infamous orange neon roof lights. There are almost no billboards along I-40 or the Beltline (beltway). Even the colors of buildings themselves cannot be too loud. Steak n Shake recently built a new restaurant here and had to struggle to get approval because of the restaurant's signature black and white awnings did not match the shopping center. The only drawback to this is that its extremely difficult to find stores and business in shopping centers because the signs are on the ground and often hidden by bushes/landscaping.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
the mall looks pretty hellish.

i like the tacky signs along I-45 in a wierd way. probably b/c it's along an interstate.

-

1 - 20 of 20 Posts