SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
forumer #29
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is going to focus on Råsundavägen, the main street thru an old suburban development built at the northern end of the tram lines from (Inner City) Stockholm. Before we get into that, we'll be taking a look at a man who was instrumental in the creation of the Swedish rail-net. His brother has two statues (afaik), one in Sthlm, one in Battery Park NYC.

and a parting shot of the furthest platforms of Stockholm Central

taken from the platform where the commuter train to Solna Station (at one end of Råsundavägen) go from.

Now for the main feature:

had you going there, didn't I? nah, this thread ain't 'bout commieblocks. Tho I guess they don't build 'em liks this no mo' either.

This is what we're here for.

The big map saying Solna Stad announce we're in the City of Solna, a suburb incorporated not all that long before the municipal reform made the cities of Sweden equal with all other municipalities.

took a few more steps, turned around...

across the street, the urbanity isn't quite there. But at least they're building some new density across that valley.

At least there ain't no bullet holes on the name-sign for the school. ;)

Again with the looking back. At least I walked more than 5m this time to do it :)

weeeell, could be a couple o' floor taller, but this is fine with me :cool:

Side street goodness

What's the one thing Liberals and Conservatives can agree on?

www.conlib.se

As the street turns a bit to the south, we see my old high school. They've changed its name! heresy!

Turning that corner (still Råsundavägen) - it just keeps getting better!

Side street again.

looking back - agin! will I ever come up with new ideas? :)

What were they thinking? that's pretty fugly.

I mean that yellow metal facade on the far left, of course.

Råsundatorget, at the mid point of the street

Couple more blocks to the west, and there are actual ppl on the sidewalk. A couple walkin' their dog and a guy talking his baby out in the stroller.

Another block, another look back.
No this what I'm talkin' 'bout.

The old-school closed blocks end, and the newer stuff (still pre-60s afaik)

To finnish of, a preview of the vies from up on a hill by a church. The church's name? Råsundakyrkan

two pans from up pn that hill still to come :)

·
forumer #29
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^It's actually built as a suburb back in the day. yepp, this is how they built suburbs at that time!

DnH said:
bluevalley is impressive :)
BlueHILL!
get it right, or get out of there ;)

@wk - hell yeah. those old urban suburbs are the shizznit. :yes:

·
You gotta have teeth baby
337 Posts
Swede said:
^It's actually built as a suburb back in the day. yepp, this is how they built suburbs at that time!

BlueHILL!
get it right, or get out of there ;)

@wk - hell yeah. those old urban suburbs are the shizznit. :yes:
Haha of course.. dont know where i got blueVALLEY from..

·
in action
2,120 Posts
Great pictures. Those commies are terrible for sure :D But I live colourfulness of the streets :eek:kay:

·
forumer #29
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I cleared up my webhosting account at my ISP, so the pics are now a bit bigger and here are the last pics I didn't have room for before:

Råsundakyrkan. what were they thinking? It might have been in style at the time, but that doesn't so much say "church" to me as "warehouse".

The street twists a bit agin. Amsterdam for less than the cost of a 30day SLcard(~metrocard)!

for the first time ever the NationalDay (independence? pfft! we've always been that:D) of Sweden is an actual holiday.

Aah! the end of the walk (the street goes on for a couple hundred meters more) at the Näckrosen subwat station. I used to switch subway-to-bus here most days in high school. Yes, those are new infill buildings :)

rounding of with a max-zoom pic of a few of the churchspires in the Inner City and the ski-hill on the far side.

·
User
719 Posts
Really nice suburb. I`d prefer such "suburb" to American counterpart. I have visited all neighbour countries except Sweden. I should visit it sometimes. I like the last pic of first part: there`s a nice white private house with cool view.

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
Great pics. I've been around that area quite a bit... It looks a lot like some of the suburban areas in Helsinki. Same architecture etc.

·
Resurrected User
706 Posts
Wow, the best suburb I have ever seen (except those commieblocks)!

designwise said:
Great pics. I've been around that area quite a bit... It looks a lot like some of the suburban areas in Helsinki. Same architecture etc.
Maybe if you mean this pic, but there's no this kind of suburbs in Helsinki.

·
mostly at Talo and SSP
595 Posts
^
Haaga comes reasonably close -- or Arabianranta, but it's debatable whether Arabianranta can be considered "suburb".

http://web.telia.com/~u87519938/20050520/2005052041.JPG
This one could easily be from Haaga.

@ Swede
Thank you for the unusual look! Very much appreciated.

·
Resurrected User
706 Posts
I guess you mean Etelä-Haaga? ;) And maybe Munkkiniemi and some parts of Herttoniemi looks a bit similar, but typical Helsinki suburb is totally different.

·
You gotta have teeth baby
337 Posts
Jape said:
I guess you mean Etelä-Haaga? ;) And maybe Munkkiniemi and some parts of Herttoniemi looks a bit similar, but typical Helsinki suburb is totally different.
This aint a TYPICAL Suburb in Stockholm either.. its more of an older version

1 - 20 of 27 Posts